Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SR+ downgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not accurate on what downgrade entails: music streaming and live traffic has never been a feature of SR+ trim. They can't remove items that has never been there.
Those inaccuracies are coming from Tesla. When they first announced the plan to deliver the Standard Range Plus with software limits as the new Standard Range, they made the announcement on April 11 in this blog post containing some confusing info on the topic. They described a few of the features that will be software limited, but many of them aren't present in the Standard Range Plus to begin with. Then they seemed to have clarified some of those details on April 17 in an internal memo shared with retail employees (see this post). Some of this information was being communicated to buyers, some wasn't, and some was communicated incorrectly (based on several anecdotal posts I've seen here and on Reddit). Then on June 7, Standard Range buyers received an email listing "a limited range of 220 miles," "the removal of several software features," and a slower acceleration. This email linked back to the April 11 blog post with information which conflicts with the April 17 internal memo. At no point in this process has there been a public description from Tesla of the specific software features to be limited for Standard Range buyers. The only way to learn that information is by delving into forums like these or relying on the word of Tesla employees, which has been (at least according to anecdotal accounts) inconsistent.

As a side note, I'd like to point out that this appears to be the source of frustration for Standard Range buyers who are complaining. It's not the fact that features are being removed. It's the lack of consistent, reliable information from Tesla.

Those inaccuracies are coming from Tesla. When they first announced the plan to deliver the Standard Range Plus with software limits as the new Standard Range, they made the announcement on April 11 in this blog post containing some confusing info on the topic. They described a few of the features that will be software limited, but many of them aren't present in the Standard Range Plus to begin with. Then they seemed to have clarified some of those details on April 17 in an internal memo shared with retail employees (see this post). Some of this information was being communicated to buyers, some wasn't, and some was communicated incorrectly (based on several anecdotal posts I've seen here and on Reddit). Then on June 7, Standard Range buyers received an email listing "a limited range of 220 miles," "the removal of several software features," and a slower acceleration. This email linked back to the April 11 blog post with information which conflicts with the April 17 internal memo. At no point in this process has there been a public description from Tesla of the specific software features to be limited for Standard Range buyers. The only way to learn that information is by delving into forums like these or relying on the word of Tesla employees, which has been (at least according to anecdotal accounts) inconsistent.

As a side note, I'd like to point out that this appears to be the source of frustration for Standard Range buyers who are complaining. It's not the fact that features are being removed. It's the lack of consistent, reliable information from Tesla.
Consistency is one thing Tesla lacks. Often times people will find out that we at the forum know more information than the store employees.
I can't figure out what Tesla stands to gain from not sharing the full information, does Tesla think the included features are at the discretion of whatever Elon feels at the moment?
I'm ready to downgrade, 1500 is better than 0.
I've always wanted the SR, even with cloth seats. I instead opt for SR+ due to the upgraded seat, glass roof and additional range. Now I'm essentially paying a little more than my initial 35k amount and got upgraded seat, better interior.

Can't complaint...

Reactions: Stach
This is what my salesperson emailed me when he sold me the SR car back in April. Hoping not to lose fog lights since this was never mentioned as part of the deal.

"Here are the following items removed to create the SR:

Front Heated Seats removed
Upgraded Sound is reduced
Autopilot is also removed
Range is limited to 220"

• Helpful
Reactions: willow_hiller
This is what my salesperson emailed me when he sold me the SR car back in April. Hoping not to lose fog lights since this was never mentioned as part of the deal.

"Here are the following items removed to create the SR:

Front Heated Seats removed
Upgraded Sound is reduced
Autopilot is also removed
Range is limited to 220"

I think your salesperson might have been a little misinformed. Some people have already taken delivery of a locked SR, and it definitely retained the heated seats.

Change is done OTA, no service visit required, just call cust svc. You lose 20 mi. of range, fog lights, immersive sound, and 0.3 sec to 60 mph, with corresponding reduction in top speed. He never said anything about losing the front heated seats. He was not aware of any end date by which any conversions had to be done.
You also get a top speed lowered 10mph to 130
Yes. Bought mine in March. Got $1500 plus tax refund for basically losing 20 miles of range.
Check is in the mail. Wont be downgraded for about 10 days. The rep from Fremont said the front seats are still heated.
did you get your check?