Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SR Model Y Delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered an SR a year and half ago and still waiting… I didn’t know they discontinued them until last month when i decided to take a test drive in the Y. The SA told me that they don’t make the SR anymore and I would have to cancel my order and place a new one for a LR. I am still hesitant to do it but he says that is all I could do. They still have my $2500 down payment too! Since Feb 2020. I’m wondering if i should upgrade the order to the LR and apply my deposit towards the LR, or wait in hopes they bring back the SR (the price was $39,990!) and just make a new order for the LR and pay the non refundable $250… The SA told me they stopped making the SR because Tesla was not making much $ off of it. They upgraded it to LR and charge $14K more and force you to have an AWD with the LR.

I ordered an SR a year and half ago and still waiting… I didn’t know they discontinued them until last month when i decided to take a test drive in the Y. The SA told me that they don’t make the SR anymore and I would have to cancel my order and place a new one for a LR. I am still hesitant to do it but he says that is all I could do. They still have my $2500 down payment too! Since Feb 2020. I’m wondering if i should upgrade the order to the LR and apply my deposit towards the LR, or wait in hopes they bring back the SR (the price was $39,990!) and just make a new order for the LR and pay the non refundable $250… The SA told me they stopped making the SR because Tesla was not making much $ off of it. They upgraded it to LR and charge $14K more and force you to have an AWD with the LR.
That seems so odd they didn't fulfill your order. Hopefully they work with you since the price of LR went up during your wait.

Are you sure you don't mean a LR RWD Model Y? The Standard Range Model Y only came out this year in January 2021..

Are you sure you don't mean a LR RWD Model Y? The Standard Range Model Y only came out this year in January 2021..
I think he probably means a LR RWD. I know some people pre-ordered that configuration and have been holding out for a long time. The Standard Range Model Y did in fact come out in January but was only for sale for about 6 weeks. They took it off the website around February 20th.

I wouldn't be too optimistic that the SR Model Y will return any time soon. There's a 6 month wait for the LR model now. No reason to make a cheaper one.

Most of the time I've heard that the sales advisor will convert your order to a different Model Y configuration. No reason you should have to cancel and reorder.

Reactions: jsight
It's really a shame they aren't making the LR RWD or the SR. I would probably have gone for a LR RWD, being that I'm planning on moving south in a few years. And I did meet someone on vacation on Cape Cod this year that had the SR and he really loved it - and it was a GREAT deal at $40k. It would have been a great competitor to the Mustang and ID.4 RWD versions. That said, as others have noted, they are selling every LR AWD they can make. Maybe things will change a bit when Texas opens up and they can reduce the delivery backlog a bit.

That seems so odd they didn't fulfill your order. Hopefully they work with you since the price of LR went up during your wait.
Thanks, they really didn’t work with me much, but just changed my order to a LR and applied my $2500 deposit towards that one. At least this SA was much nicer than the previous one where I test drove it. It was a different store, so I will be going with that store Instead. She said the estimated date would be April 2022, but its possible i could get lucky with the December shipmenot.

I think he probably means a LR RWD. I know some people pre-ordered that configuration and have been holding out for a long time. The Standard Range Model Y did in fact come out in January but was only for sale for about 6 weeks. They took it off the website around February 20th.

I wouldn't be too optimistic that the SR Model Y will return any time soon. There's a 6 month wait for the LR model now. No reason to make a cheaper one.

Most of the time I've heard that the sales advisor will convert your order to a different Model Y configuration. No reason you should have to cancel and reorder.
Yes, as a matter of fact the SA did convert my order although initially she said I should cancel and reorder the LR model. I told her I didn’t want to have to pay the $250 nonrefundable deposit when I already have a $2500 down placed for the past year and half! She consulted with someone and then converted my order. I think it might help with my estimated arrival date from APhil 2022 to Dec 2021. But I am not holding my breath. Tesla does not do a good job communicating with their consumers.

Reactions: timeshifter
Oh well, it was bound to happen. Tesla is officially canceling my old model YSR order. I got this email today. At least I get my order fee refunded.

Now I’m in no hurry to get once is the price is up and there will be 4680 battery cells next year at some point. Since there’s no advantage in ordering, and I get my hundred bucks back I will wait for later perhaps

We’re contacting you regarding your Model Y order RNxxxxxxx placed on February 7, 2021. We’d like to help you update your configuration, as we no longer build the configuration you originally selected. We’re excited to support you through the process and deliver your reconfigured Model Y at your earliest convenience.​
To update your configuration, please sign in to your Tesla Accountand select Update Design by December 9, 2021.​
If we do not hear from you by December 9, 2021, we will assume that you no longer wish to purchase a vehicle. We will automatically cancel your order and refund your order fee.​
Thank you for supporting the world’s transition to sustainable energy.​
Best Regards,
The Tesla Team​