Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SR Purchasing Doubts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The point is you say it's the tires that make the difference, not the drive system.
I'm saying that's not true with a specific example.

That's not what I said. Most people above the age of four can understand that more wheels providing power provides better traction.

Yes, AWD makes a difference. But for guys like me, another $10,000 for AWD wasn't in the budget. But $1500 for snow tires was, and I'm extremely happy with the results.

That's not what I said. Most people above the age of four can understand that more wheels providing power provides better traction.

Yes, AWD makes a difference. But for guys like me, another $10,000 for AWD wasn't in the budget. But $1500 for snow tires was, and I'm extremely happy with the results.

A few posts ago you said this:
"The absolute biggest difference in snow performance I've noticed had to do with tires, not drive system."

So......you said most people above the age of four would understand this concept. Not all. You are correct!

Think about how much time and extra stops you have to make if you have a SR+
Time is a precious commodity. You have to think about your safety in winter and stop to charge a lot more if you have an SR+

This is not correct when made as a blanket statement, and I also don't think it's true in the OP's scenario. I have an SR+ and I've never had to make an extra charging stop. Depends on individual circumstances.

Reactions: Metalmanstan
. Think about how much time and extra stops you have to make if you have a SR+
Time is a precious commodity. You have to think about your safety in winter and stop to charge a lot more if you have an SR+

Well, I don't mind stopping once and awhile for a stretch here and there. My back isn't the greatest while driving so getting out and moving around really helps me out. I've simulated several trips going to Hilton Head Island (our getaway) and it looks like we would stop every 1.5 too 2 hours or so. Which is fine for us, because that's what we do anyways. It also looks like sometimes I could go further than that.

Same here. AWD is great, but I think the point is that, if AWD isn't in your budget, the RWD Model 3 will do the job in most situations as long as you have good winter tires. We've driven our SR+ with winter boots in some pretty wicked local weather, and it has been sure footed and confident.

AWD can only optimize the traction that is available. It isn't magic. If there is very little traction to start with, AWD is of limited help. Also, while AWD helps you go, it doesn't help much with cornering or stopping. Winter tires, though, increase the traction available to any drive system and help with all the ways you can change velocity and direction. In that respect, I have to agree that, in most scenarios tires > drivetrain. It's a common sight in my parts to see AWD cars and SUVs with all season tires stuck in a ditch on a snowy day because they couldn't corner or stop. We have some seriously steep roads here as well, in addition to the extreme weather, and it's not uncommon for AWD vehicles with all seasons to end up sliding backwards down a steep icy hill while the 2WD cars with winter tires struggle their way up. The AWD cars with winter tires just leave everyone in the dust of course, but, if you don't have the budget for AWD, a RWD SR or SR+ with winter tires will get you most of the way there.

This gives me even more confidence!! You live in the complete middle of nowhere and the weather is probably worse than mine!! Thank you for taking your time to write this up!! By the way, you live several hours closer than me to Rouyn-Noranda. I am a big fan of the QMJHL and the huskies! Thanks once again!

You're very welcome. I've watched a bit of OHL here and there over the years in various places I've lived in Ontario. It's good fun.

Stash
Well, I don't mind stopping once and awhile for a stretch here and there. My back isn't the greatest while driving so getting out and moving around really helps me out. I've simulated several trips going to Hilton Head Island (our getaway) and it looks like we would stop every 1.5 too 2 hours or so. Which is fine for us, because that's what we do anyways. It also looks like sometimes I could go further than that.

In the summer, I find that the SR+ goes farther than I care to, and recharges faster than I do. At every stop we made during our trips last year, the car was done charging enough to get to the next Supercharger before we were ready to get going again. We usually ended up with more charge than we needed, and the trips took us the same amount of time as with our old ICE car. Bathroom breaks take time, getting snacks take time, and just wanting to stretch a bit before getting back in the saddle takes time. In the winter, some of the charging stops take a bit longer, but not by a lot. An extra 10 mins per stop give or take. I would love to have been able to afford a LR AWD, but frankly I don't think I would use it any differently.

Sorry to bring this thread back to life, but I have a new question.

When talking about range loss in the winter, is it the 30-50% right off the bat with cold weather? Like let's say if the car has 50% loss due to it being extremely cold, will it show up as 110 miles when I get in after charging? Or is that all a thrown together number at the end of the drive? I hope I'm being understandable. Thanks!!

In the summer, I find that the SR+ goes farther than I care to, and recharges faster than I do. At every stop we made during our trips last year, the car was done charging enough to get to the next Supercharger before we were ready to get going again. We usually ended up with more charge than we needed, and the trips took us the same amount of time as with our old ICE car. Bathroom breaks take time, getting snacks take time, and just wanting to stretch a bit before getting back in the saddle takes time. In the winter, some of the charging stops take a bit longer, but not by a lot. An extra 10 mins per stop give or take. I would love to have been able to afford a LR AWD, but frankly I don't think I would use it any differently.

I agree. My only concern is more frequent charge cycles w/ the SR. Supposed bad for the battery, but the experts on here can chime in on why/how bad since they're individual cells ?

When talking about range loss in the winter, is it the 30-50% right off the bat with cold weather? Like let's say if the car has 50% loss due to it being extremely cold, will it show up as 110 miles when I get in after charging? Or is that all a thrown together number at the end of the drive? I hope I'm being understandable. Thanks!!

I believe the BMS protects the battery when cold and restricts range till the battery heats up. (only happens when I leave the garage open :) here in AZ)

Reactions: Metalmanstan

Nope, the rating on the screen is EPA miles, which don't resemble reality when it gets cold out. It's about energy consumption, pushing a car though cold, dense, air, and powering the 7 kW heater in the dash to keep you warm. Drive slower, you get more range. Likewise if you keep the cabin cooler.

There's no constant, energy use depends on how you manage the car.

It shows the full potential range and then will rip your guts out as it rapidly dies. If you change it to percentage it will just seem like you're on your phone/laptop a lot so it blows through more power. I do wish it would project the range based on current conditions, but it would bounce all over the place with all of the variables in play. Just do the math before any trip and lop off 30%.

It shows the full potential range and then will rip your guts out as it rapidly dies. If you change it to percentage it will just seem like you're on your phone/laptop a lot so it blows through more power. I do wish it would project the range based on current conditions, but it would bounce all over the place with all of the variables in play. Just do the math before any trip and lop off 30%.
Truer words never said...This is just at 80-85mph...
image.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: coconutboy84

Thinking about this a bit more, I realized it's a bit more confusing than it should be. So I went out to the garage and took a video to hopefully explain things a bit better. This is how I do it:

Thinking about this a bit more, I realized it's a bit more confusing than it should be. So I went out to the garage and took a video to hopefully explain things a bit better. This is how I do it:

Awesome man. I thank you very much. That was definitely an informative video! We're going for a test drive at an event sunday and then hopefully going to purchase the SR on the 17th!!! I'd have to say that this is the craziest thing I've done in my life, but I'm sooooooooooo looking forward to it!