Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Staggered setup

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I'm about to order 20s and can't decide, should I go with SQUARE setup (255/40 R20 all around) or STAGGERED (255/40 R20 front and 285/35 R20 rear) BUT another concern, tire rack doesn't recommend using same tires (in my case PILOT SPORT A/S 3+ (W- OR Y-SPEED RATED) different speed ratings on front and rear... does it matter?
255/40 R20 has 101Y rating (1,819lb weight limit, 186mph speed limit)
285/35 R20 has 100W rating (1,764lb weight limit, 168mph speed limit)

So, does it matter?

Reason I want A/S 3+ even though I'm from Bay Area is we go skiing once in a while so need light snow capable tires.

Reactions: vpblur
I just got a set of Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ on my Model S Performance Ludicrous Mode. I like them; they seem as good performance-wise as the summer-only Pilot Sport 4 tires that came with the car (does anyone want to buy those from me? they only have 3000 miles on them). My efficiency dropped, but it also got colder here at the same time, so I don't know how much of that is tire and how much is temperature.

I just got a set of Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ on my Model S Performance Ludicrous Mode. I like them; they seem as good performance-wise as the summer-only Pilot Sport 4 tires that came with the car (does anyone want to buy those from me? they only have 3000 miles on them). My efficiency dropped, but it also got colder here at the same time, so I don't know how much of that is tire and how much is temperature.

Assume these are 20" correct?

Staggered, I'd go with 245/40-20 and 275/40-20.

The 245 is XL Max load 1,709 lbs
The 275 is XL Max Load 2,094 lbs

I was using the General Tire G-Max with the same specs until it was time to replace them. Same rating.

Now I'm on 245/40-20 and 295/35-20 Vredestein Ultrac Vorti which are also 99Y and 105Y.

BTW the stock P85+ Michelin Pilot Super Sport were 96Y and 101Y. Not sure why they are considered when they shipped the sameway.

• Helpful
Reactions: Lukez
I would go square if buying and starting from scratch, but primarily because of easier matching, more options and reduced tire costs buying in sets of four.

I run 21” staggered arachnids, but on a non performance dual motor S. In this scenario tire rotations don’t matter. All tires wear evenly and equally for me, same as on the 19’s they all turned into slicks together, even shredding pavement sub fours to sixty.

Both motors are the same and weight is evenly distributed across the entire vehicle.

255/40/20 might rub in front
tire too tall, will rub on full lock turns
can anyone confirm or deny this

Mine rub going forward and reverse, 255/40 on 8.5x20 ET24.
Used to make the horrible noise in reverse because the tread blocks were catching on the lower edge of the vent slats.

I dremeled the slats back and now the noise sounds like sandpaper on wood.