Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Staggering amount of issues found at/after delivery. Considering returning the car.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
MX, didn't you see the winky? I thought we were good now. I'm just messing with you, even though I'm technically correct. ;)

You are correct in every city except for Fremont, CA! ;)

We’re good, I missed the nuances do to the surprise resurrection of @fnce_prof !

Thought he was gone from Tesla land and resigned to getting his C63 AMG passed up every day by Model 3’s.

Imagine the Model 3 beating your AMG to a parking spot at Costco and filing it up with a weeks worth of groceries and the AMG is done after water and cereal and maybe a box of tampons. LOL

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: P85_DA
Wow, surprised they still didn’t pick it up until now!! Were you allowed to drive it the whole time? I would have had a thousand miles on it by now hah.

Still going to wait till 2020-2021 for an etron?

I'd rather drive a properly built Audi (or BMW/Mercedes/Porsche/GM/Ford) that I don't have to worry about quality and fit/finish in 2025 than a rushed-to-the-door Tesla with all kinds of problems in 2018.

Plus, I don't mind getting smoked at the traffic light by teslas in my AMG or my pickup truck. I've seen my fair share of engine-revvers and wannabe racers at the light and it's their business if they want to get t-boned by red light runners. I usually give these guys a polite wave (or the finger if they are being nasty).

The main issue is I'm not a Tesla or EV fanboy. I'm perfectly fine driving my gas cars for the next couple of years and I don't mind paying for gas and oil changes and all that "ICE" crap, as long as they drive well and have good quality and are decently luxurious inside. Ironically this type of customer is precisely what Tesla needs to convert in order to become a mainstream auto manufacturer, and at least for my data point they failed miserably.

I'd rather drive a properly built Audi (or BMW/Mercedes/Porsche/GM/Ford) that I don't have to worry about quality and fit/finish in 2025 than a rushed-to-the-door Tesla with all kinds of problems in 2018.

Plus, I don't mind getting smoked at the traffic light by teslas in my AMG or my pickup truck. I've seen my fair share of engine-revvers and wannabe racers at the light and it's their business if they want to get t-boned by red light runners. I usually give these guys a polite wave (or the finger if they are being nasty).

The main issue is I'm not a Tesla or EV fanboy. I'm perfectly fine driving my gas cars for the next couple of years and I don't mind paying for gas and oil changes and all that "ICE" crap, as long as they drive well and have good quality and are decently luxurious inside. Ironically this type of customer is precisely what Tesla needs to convert in order to become a mainstream auto manufacturer, and at least for my data point they failed miserably.

Here's the plot twist: I didn't actually become a Tesla "fanboy" until I owned one. for more than a few days anyways. :D

The main issue is you are a "Finance Professor" and did not take any classes in statistics? It's completely obvious your experience as terrible as it might be, is not the mode, median or even the average.

It's a bit presumptuous to think that YOUR experience is the archetype. The asswhoopin below shows that these legacy brands you seem to love so much is in the minority and gets even marginalized as Tesla continues to ramp.

I would have returned your car, but then I would have turned around and gotten another one.

upload_2018-9-25_15-30-6.png

Lastly, it’s laughable to think Tesla stands still. If and this is a HUGE IF that Audi 2025 matches Tesla, that’s the Tesla of 2012. Tesla in 2025 is going to be insane even if the cars still have panel gaps.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: neroden and P85_DA

Ehhhh... I don't know that the Model 3 really constitutes a "luxury car", despite it's premium pricing. You can easily buy a $65K pickup truck these days, and no one calls an F150 a luxury car. Considering the mass-market aspirations of the Model 3, it might be more fair to compare it to a Chrysler 300 or even a Honda Accord. The chart makes the point you want to make but I'm conflicted.

I would easily put the Model S in the premium segment but that doesn't necessarily bring the Model 3 along with it.

Ironically this type of customer is precisely what Tesla needs to convert in order to become a mainstream auto manufacturer, and at least for my data point they failed miserably.

Here's the plot twist: I didn't actually become a Tesla "fanboy" until I owned one. for more than a few days anyways. :D

The main issue is you are a "Finance Professor" and did not take any classes in statistics? It's completely obvious your experience as terrible as it might be, is not the mode, median or even the average.

This type of ad hominem attacks is what gives tesla fanboys (or are they actually tesla social media employees? I'm confused) and the brand itself a bad rep.

Well I ain't a finance professor, but I did take my share of statistics classes back in college. If you want to get into the cherry picking game, how about Lexus itself selling more than 18000 SUVs this month? How about the 85000 F-150s with presumably higher margins? How about adding in BMW and Audi's entire lineup? How about looking at the sales growth of the model x and model s to see if the model 3 is cannibalizing these sales? Diversification is a great thing and if they are betting their entire future on one model while other manufacturers have 16, well, I wish em luck.

But the beauty is you can find data to support any viewpoint you have. I remember this was called confirmation bias back in the day.

Last edited:
Reactions: mattjs33
This type of ad hominem attacks is what gives tesla fanboys (or are they actually tesla social media employees? I'm confused) and the brand itself a bad rep.

Well I ain't a finance professor, but I did take my share of statistics classes back in college. If you want to get into the cherry picking game, how about Lexus itself selling more than 18000 SUVs this month? How about the 85000 F-150s with presumably higher margins? How about adding in BMW and Audi's entire lineup? How about looking at the sales growth of the model x and model s to see if the model 3 is cannibalizing these sales? Diversification is a great thing and if they are betting their entire future on one model while other manufacturers have 16, well, I wish em luck.

But the beauty is you can find data to support any viewpoint you have. I remember this was called confirmation bias back in the day.

Ad hominem would be calling you a poo-poo head which didn't take place here. It's clear you are a statistical anomaly which should have been easily recognized if you were a finance professor. Since you are not, your viewpoint is more understandable, but still wrong.

Tesla is not in the mass market SUV space, nor the mass market Truck space. Tesla has dominated the high end luxury sedan space for years. The fact that the are dominating the mid and low end luxury sedan space now is incredible. I mean, it even beat the Toyota Camry for revenue.

As far as BMW and Audi's entire lineup, I would give it 3-6 months. :)

The 3 doesn't compete with the X. The S gets spanked by the 3 on a "value" basis but I do expect that to correct itself in the next year. There's no way to spin that Tesla ISNT the automotive story of 2018.. and will be 2019 as well.

Funny for you to throw confirmation bias when you want to use your ONE delivery that Tesla is even refunding you on as representative of 50,000+ and will be 100,000+ by years end.

Reactions: Seattle
I'm perfectly fine driving my gas cars for the next couple of years

I would have returned your car, but then I would have turned around and gotten another one.

Frankly, back in 2012, I got out of the "Signature Model S" (early off the production line) waiting list and got back in line further back, so as to get a car with a more reliable build. It worked.

In your situation, I would also have returned the car. However, I would probably wait several months, check in here to see if the delivery madness has been straightened out, and *if it has*, I'd come back and buy a Model 3 then.

Frankly, back in 2012, I got out of the "Signature Model S" (early off the production line) waiting list and got back in line further back, so as to get a car with a more reliable build. It worked.

In your situation, I would also have returned the car. However, I would probably wait several months, check in here to see if the delivery madness has been straightened out, and *if it has*, I'd come back and buy a Model 3 then.

Anecdotally, I feel my July build in a tent has less issues than the recent builds.

I believe it was the second batch of P Model 3’s. Black and white. First was the red and white.

My educated guess is as speed went up, accuracy went down. Accuracy is having a hard time catching up to the current bars set for speed.

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA