Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stainless Polishing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SabrToothSqrl

Dec 5, 2014
PA
Everyone else getting their practice in? lol

I wanted to get some practice in on scrap (old mower blades), before working on my actual project (boat props).

This worked quite well.

if I get bored I might just make the blade all shiny and hang it in my shop. Or I might make it shine and cut the grass. lol
With a mirror finish, it almost looks liquid or not real.

Attachments

• balde6.jpg
    balde6.jpg
    272.4 KB · Views: 139
  • blade_done.jpg
    blade_done.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 83
  • Blade1.jpg
    Blade1.jpg
    423.8 KB · Views: 81
  • Blade2.jpg
    Blade2.jpg
    336.9 KB · Views: 79
  • blade3.jpg
    blade3.jpg
    247.4 KB · Views: 82
  • blade4.jpg
    blade4.jpg
    289.7 KB · Views: 80
  • blade5.jpg
    blade5.jpg
    319.1 KB · Views: 77
  • Polish0.jpg
    Polish0.jpg
    476.8 KB · Views: 80
  • Polish1.jpg
    Polish1.jpg
    615.6 KB · Views: 73
Reactions: MitchMitch
Yeah, I was mostly kidding about the cybertruck. That's a lot of metal to polish. Even if you could mirror finish the whole thing, how long would it last and any scratch would detract from the finish, which kinda of negates the whole tough as nails thing. Luckily these only have to touch water.

Thanks. yeah, Polishing metal is kind of fun. I took 21 year old stainless props and made them look, I think pretty darn good.
I never did this before, so figured I'd start with scrap metal. I replaced the OEM John Deere blades with Gator Blades last summer (which are awesome). But kept the old just in case. I didn't go all out on the mower blades, to a mirror, but if I get really bored could be good practice.

Attachments

• prop1.jpg
    prop1.jpg
    581.5 KB · Views: 66
  • prop2.jpg
    prop2.jpg
    566.8 KB · Views: 67
  • prop3.jpg
    prop3.jpg
    355.2 KB · Views: 66
  • Prop4.jpg
    Prop4.jpg
    501 KB · Views: 68
  • prop5.jpg
    prop5.jpg
    529.3 KB · Views: 76
Reactions: Yelobird
Polishing metal is kind of fun
😵‍💫

I think you're nuts, but it would be really interesting to see a polished CT...

We polished my dad's airplane... once. It was pretty, but the next time it was due, he got it painted instead. I won't be polishing mine either, for the same reason.

Actually I'd imagine polishing is less of a PITA than painting, but painting only needs to be done once...

There is a guy in Oregon that takes a plain piece of copper and with heat and abrasives make really amazing panels. Hard to believe there is no pigments involved. Makes we wonder what he could do with a cybertruck, as long as it is not mine. (Yes, I know copper is nothing like Stainless. Just made me say ‘hmmm’)

Attachments

• IMG_1351.jpeg
    IMG_1351.jpeg
    707.2 KB · Views: 3