Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Helping the A/C

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The only complaint I have with my 2021 Model 3 is the Air Conditioning. Mine makes about 20 minutes of driving to get cold. I do try to pre-cool it using the App, but thats not always possible. What can I do to help my AC?

I already have 2 things in my garage that I might as well use as long as they are compatible with a Tesla:

AC Pro and coolant additive

I see that the additive is for gas and diesel but doesnt Tesla use the same coolant as gas cars? Is it safe for me to try either of these products on my model 3?

Or what else should I do to make my AC colder?

• Disagree
Reactions: XPsionic
The only complaint I have with my 2021 Model 3 is the Air Conditioning. Mine makes about 20 minutes of driving to get cold. I do try to pre-cool it using the App, but thats not always possible. What can I do to help my AC?

I already have 2 things in my garage that I might as well use as long as they are compatible with a Tesla:

I see that the additive is for gas and diesel but doesnt Tesla use the same coolant as gas cars? Is it safe for me to try either of these products on my model 3?

Easy first step on your 2 year old car is to replace the cabin air filters.(yes there are two)

You could do that yourself, but it's probably easier to get Tesla to do it.

In the hot New Mexico sun the A/C in my 2021 MYLR cools the cabin by about 10F per minute. This is easy to check with the app to see if your A/C is working properly.

Depending on the cabin temperature and the outside temperature, opening all the windows can quickly cool the cabin down to the outside temperature. I almost always do this if I forgot to cool the cabin from the app.

I also recommend getting an opaque roof sunshade for about $50.

Enabling recirculate will also help the A/C cool your cabin. There has been some concern about elevated C02 levels when recirculate is used. Opening your window just a bit may help with the CO2 problem without defeating the efficiency of recirculate.

Don't do it! You will probably do more harm than good. See a qualified AC technician.

I just wish they had some kind of product in a bottle that would make me wealthy. And good looking. And 40 years younger while they are at it.

No. Do not blindly put either of these things in your car.

If the AC isn’t functioning as expected take it to a shop to do a proper cooling test and figure out why.
Is it normal for it to take so long for the car to cool off? It is working, its just really hot here. Do teslas have weak AC systems? I drive a 4xE jeep in the same conditions and its AC gets freezing cold in 2-3 minutes

In the hot New Mexico sun the A/C in my 2021 MYLR cools the cabin by about 10F per minute. This is easy to check with the app to see if your A/C is working properly.

Depending on the cabin temperature and the outside temperature, opening all the windows can quickly cool the cabin down to the outside temperature. I almost always do this if I forgot to cool the cabin from the app.

I also recommend getting an opaque roof sunshade for about $50.

Enabling recirculate will also help the A/C cool your cabin. There has been some concern about elevated C02 levels when recirculate is used. Opening your window just a bit may help with the CO2 problem without defeating the efficiency of recirculate.
ill look into the sunshade, thanks, I didnt know that existed.

When it's hotter than 85f outside, either leave the AC on Auto mode where it manages re circulation or manually put it on recirc.

I've tried toggling off recirc manually and when it's warm outside the AC gets over powered very easily.
I used to use that function but sometimes mine sits on the charger for days while i drive other stuff. Using that function while not plugged in lets you quickly realize how much electricity that uses. using that function while at work for 10 hours can drain 30% off the battery.

I used to use that function but sometimes mine sits on the charger for days while i drive other stuff. Using that function while not plugged in lets you quickly realize how much electricity that uses. using that function while at work for 10 hours can drain 30% off the battery.

Obviously you're mistaken about what some of these terms mean. Recirculation mode is NOT "Keep climate" that you're referring to.

Look, just pre-cool the car 10 minutes via the phone app before you jump in. If your car is unable to cool down to 72f in 10 minutes, there's a physical issue and you should take the car into service to get it repaired.

And yes, I would say the Model 3 heat pump AC is fairly weak and I've never felt it getting "ice cold" within 3 minutes if I forget to precool the car when it's like 90f outside. Some cars can do that, the Model 3 does not.

At the same time, with the ability to precool or keep climate for shorter stops, I find the Model 3 more than adequately cool 100% of the time.

Reactions: ColoradoMike
Obviously you're mistaken about what some of these terms mean. Recirculation mode is NOT "Keep climate" that you're referring to.

Look, just pre-cool the car 10 minutes via the phone app before you jump in. If your car is unable to cool down to 72f in 10 minutes, there's a physical issue and you should take the car into service to get it repaired.

And yes, I would say the Model 3 heat pump AC is fairly weak and I've never felt it getting "ice cold" within 3 minutes if I forget to precool the car when it's like 90f outside. Some cars can do that, the Model 3 does not.

At the same time, with the ability to precool or keep climate for shorter stops, I find the Model 3 more than adequately cool 100% of the time.
Is the car sitting in the sun? Do you have tinted glass? Makes a big difference.

Reactions: ColoradoMike
I guess I should have started with a question: do teslas have weak AC? mine doesnt seem to be broken, it just takes a long time to get the car cold enough that I have to turn it down. Tesla takes 20 minutes of driving for me to be cold enough to reduce the AC, while my jeep takes 2-3 minutes.
No. Our model 3 A/C is great. When my X would take a long time like that, I didn't even catch it at first, but after having tesla fix it, it's back to working great as well. blows freezing cold now.

yeah i def misinterpreted your original comment. but if you read my original comment you see that I said its not always possible for me to pre-cool it; so i didnt expect you to say for me to do the thing that i just said i cant do.