Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Standard Range 3 at Laguna Seca.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I went to Laguna Seca yesterday in the Standard Range model 3. I put ATE brake fluid in, and got a more track friendly pad from unplugged performance. Changing the pads were super easy since I didn't have to push the calipers back since my car is basically new. I also got Falken RT660 245/40/18 mounted. Tire Rack helped me find these cause the others couldn't support the weight of the car. The things I was worried about didn't end up being a problem at all, there was wear on the outer front of the tire like everyone says, but wasn't problematic, brakes held up just fine. The car did well and was able to output full power for about 15 min, then a slight reduction, sort of like when you dip below 20% on charge. The traction and stability control were the main things I wish that could be switched off. Coming from an S2000, turn two I like to rotate the car slightly with throttle, but couldn't do that. I ended up trail braking a lot to rotate the car into a turn then would just step on it and it would go. The torque even from the SR was fantastic, and the chassis had so much composure in it, nothing seemed to make it flex. Turns 6 and 7 felt like a rollercoaster, as get light on turn in, plant and it just rocked up the hill. It seemed like inflating tires to run around 37 cold to run 42 hot worked well for this tire setup.

I would begin every session at around 170 miles, drive to about 40 which would last a good part of the session. Then head straight to the Seaside Supercharging station. Only once did I have to wait, and for the most part was kind of amazing, to run all day on $40 of electricity, which would be about 1/3 what I would normally spend on fuel for a track day.

I will post photos later of on track when the photographer uploads them. Just thought I would share all this as I scoured the internet seeking information of all this and didn't come up with much.

Below are the links to what I used.

Unplugged Performance Street & Track Brake Pad Set for Tesla Model 3
High Performance Driving Schools, Lessons, Driving Experience, HPDE, Professional Driving School
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Falken&tireModel=Azenis+RT660

Reactions: MasterC17
The SR+ is fantastic on the track with a weight distribution matching the Porsche Cayman!

DSC_3285-1-1-1.jpg

Great to see more Tesla at the tracks. Salinas is also a good charging option for Laguna Seca. It has more charging stations (14 x 150kW) with fewer users. The faster charging you get from being the only one on a paired SC makes up the longer drive to and from LS.

The SR+ is fantastic on the track with a weight distribution matching the Porsche Cayman!

View attachment 558193
Awesome yeah I felt that, I saw at one point you figured out a solution to disable traction and stability controls while maintaining ABS. Any progress with that? With that the car would be a monster, it was cutting power mid corner cause the slip angle.

Great to see more Tesla at the tracks. Salinas is also a good charging option for Laguna Seca. It has more charging stations (14 x 150kW) with fewer users. The faster charging you get from being the only one on a paired SC makes up the longer drive to and from LS.
I tried all 3! I did the one by the Whole Foods, the Seaside one, and also the Salinas one, that one was busy too, I think cause it was a sunny day on a Sunday.