Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Start stop charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Noticed something tonight that got me thinking. I noticed that after only 1:30 of charging from approximately 30% to 50% that when I unplugged the car and drove that I had full regent available right off the bat. FYI it is about 30 degrees F outside. So what I was wondering is is it possible to set a schedule to charge say to 50 or 60 percent when first plugged in and then stop and finish the charge at a set time say an hour before I go to work.

First I don't think this is possible with the current scheduler

Second would this be bad for the battery?

Reason for the split schedule would be to insure you had a defined amount of range right away. Emergency, power interpretation etc.

I do something similar. I set the car to charge at 11PM to a certain limit. When I get up, I open the app and start charging to a bit higher limit. I get ready for the day and by the time I'm in the car, everything is good. I know it's not what you are looking to have, but it's the best available atm.

Reactions: jdcollins5
An advantage to having a high amperage connection for the car is since it recovers so quickly it is easier to set a charge time and have it be more consistently done close to when you are leaving, and if on occasion it isn't quite back up to 80% or whatever you can make it up more easily.

I suggest you turn on done charging notification and start playing with the start time so that a normal day it is done right before you leave. The pack will stay warm a little while, app triggered warmup before you leave will help keep it warm, and for most of is if once in awhile it is only up to 75% instead of 80% on a given day it won't matter.
Last winter I only had a 40amp outlet for 24amp delivered and resorted to charging soon as I got home while the battery was warm from driving. Still early in winter but now I am letting the car take 60amps(model S) and it is a lot easier to schedule charging to end near when I am leaving and I am seeing far far less regen limiting most mornings none.

For cold climates especially i think the HCWC is worth it.

I am not sure why to split charging to 2 sessions. After couple times you will know when you need to start charging to finish it right before you leave. And will it make any difference if it will be 79% instead of 80%?
Valid point. I like to have my car start charging at 10-11PM as that tends to be the start of the coldest part of the night here. Then hit charge when I get up to warm the battery before going in at 3AM. Not completely necessary, but as I am keeping it around the 80% mark, also should not hurt the battery and keeps it warmer longer. At least, that is my reasoning.

Sorry to sound dumb here, but why set it to be charging right when you leave in the morning? Is it better to drive when the battery is warmed up?

We had our first cold spell while traveling for thanksgiving and temps dropped to 11 degrees, and a blue snowflake appeared on my battery icon. Then the car wouldn't charge for like 30 minutes until it went away. I had figured it was better to charge up the night before while it was still warm and not have to wait in the am...or no?

Sorry to sound dumb here, but why set it to be charging right when you leave in the morning? Is it better to drive when the battery is warmed up?

We had our first cold spell while traveling for thanksgiving and temps dropped to 11 degrees, and a blue snowflake appeared on my battery icon. Then the car wouldn't charge for like 30 minutes until it went away. I had figured it was better to charge up the night before while it was still warm and not have to wait in the am...or no?
It is have warmer battery when you drive. When battery too cold your regenerative braking is limited, so braking pads used more and less energy goes back to the battery. Also maximum power can be limited too (though it is not so important, as there is still plenty).

[\QUOTE]Sorry to sound dumb here, but why set it to be charging right when you leave in the morning? Is it better to drive when the battery is warmed up?[\QUOTE]

Yes, if you want to recover regen as quickly as possible. Mainly for daily commutes. But as you say, you have to allow time to preheat the battery prior to charging.

[\QUOTE]We had our first cold spell while traveling for thanksgiving and temps dropped to 11 degrees, and a blue snowflake appeared on my battery icon. Then the car wouldn't charge for like 30 minutes until it went away. I had figured it was better to charge up the night before while it was still warm and not have to wait in the am...or no?[/QUOTE]

If you want to charge quickly then do it while it is warm. But then the battery will be cold in the morning and regen will be limited until the battery warms up.

I guess it depends on what you want to accomplish.

Last edited:
I do this with TeslaFi when charging to 100% in the morning just before we leave. The car does its normal charge to 80% late a night. Then I schedule a 100% charge limit from TeslaFi and a start charging. Everything happens automatically once programmed. I also schedule a return to the 80% charge limit on the night we return home so that I don't inadvertently charge to 100% with nowhere to go.

Reactions: cdeleo
My main reason for wanting a split schedule is that I have a pretty long commute and when I get home the battery is pretty low. Not crazy low but I like to put it on the charger right away to get back up to around 50% or so. Just in case I need to go back into work at night or for other unplanned outings. The other half of the schedule would solely be for pack warming and regen in the am. Not complaining and the car is meeting my needs. I also liked some of the other methods people are doing. Another reason for posting was to find out if charging to say 50 from 20 or 30% when the pack was warm, then stopping for 8 or so hours and then charging a cold pack for another 20 or 30% would that be bad for the battery?

Reactions: Emmexx1

Not a dumb question at all, man. Never know when something like this could save one of us issues down the road.

My main reason for wanting a split schedule is that I have a pretty long commute and when I get home the battery is pretty low. Not crazy low but I like to put it on the charger right away to get back up to around 50% or so. Just in case I need to go back into work at night or for other unplanned outings. The other half of the schedule would solely be for pack warming and regen in the am. Not complaining and the car is meeting my needs. I also liked some of the other methods people are doing. Another reason for posting was to find out if charging to say 50 from 20 or 30% when the pack was warm, then stopping for 8 or so hours and then charging a cold pack for another 20 or 30% would that be bad for the battery?

As long as you aren't topping the battery at 100% every day, there shouldn't be issues. I charge mine to 70% during the night, then do a half hour charge in the morning before I leave. I've not had any issues doing that. I do get the snowflake sometimes during the day. If I hit 20ish percent or less before coming home, then I charge to 70% right away and just do my half hour charge in the morning like normal. Again, no issues, knock on wood. BTW, love that I can do that in the car on the dash lol

Reactions: Wahbash and cdeleo