TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Staying and Charging at Wellesley Island State Park NY

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by gimmi80, Jun 5, 2015.

1. gimmi80

gimmi80 Member

Hi,

In a couple of weeks I will be going to Wellesley Island State Park.
    I am trying to collect feedback on the feasibility of the trip with my Model S 70D.

Plan is the following:
    - Leaving on Saturday morning from Pittsford NY with a full charge. Getting to Wellesley Island State Park with around ~20% charge residual (this is a good approximation as I travel weekly to Watertown and I get there with around ~35% charge left).
    - We have a camping spot with electricity (Voltage, Amperage, and type of connection unknown). Plugshare reports a regular wall socket with 30amp (?),pictures on plugshare seem to show a nema 15-30 (?) but I'm not sure the prong seems to be round instead of L shaped...
    - Leaving Sunday evening from the park to come back home.

Nearest supercharge Kingston ON (canada) I will definitely make it there with the residual charge, but my passport is out for renewal and I can not cross the border.
    Next supercharger in Syracuse NY. I routinely get there on my trip Pittsford NY -> Watertown, NY -> Syracuse SpC (~1012$ SOC left) -> Back home. But I'm not sure I can get there from Wellesley Island Park.

For safety I would need to gain 50/75miles of range while staying at the park. Can a 120v 15amp wall plug provide that in approx 24 hours?
    Should I take my wife's ICE?
    thanks

2. shelbri

shelbri Member

120v 15a wall plug provides ~3mph of charge. As such, if you are able to charge for 24hrs, you should gain the necessary range.

3. Panicopticon

Panicopticon Member

#3 Panicopticon, Jun 5, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2015
    I believe there are a few J1772s in Watertown (they're listed on Plugshare).

The connector shown on Plugshare at the park is a TT-30. Thats 120V at 30 Amps, see http://cosmacelf.net/Home%20Made%20Adapters.pdf for how best to use it.

May be able to help if you get stuck, so I sent you PM as well.

4. paulkva

paulkva Member

Maybe I'm missing something, but with uncertain destination charging, why wouldn't you simply stop at the Syracuse supercharger in both directions? Looks like you'd need ~100 rated miles in each direction (+/- depending on weather, speed, wind, etc) to go between Syracuse and Wellesley Island, and ~80 rated miles in each direction to go between Syracuse and Pittsford.

If you start full (let's assume 240), you'd get to Syracuse with ~160. Charge to 210+, arrive at the camp site with ~110. If you can plug in overnight, you'll have plenty to get back to Syracuse and maybe even directly home. If not and you need a little extra, you could probably top off in Watertown as Panicopticon mentioned, e.g. at Longway's Diner (Longways Diner | Carthage, NY | Electric Car Charging Station | PlugShare). Arrive at Syracuse on the way home and charge to 100+, and you should have plenty to make it home.

By the way, that PlugShare photo at Wellesley Island shows a pair of NEMA 5-20 (120V, 20A) outlets next to the TT-30. If the circuit is good, you can get ~5mph charging (~120 miles in 24 hours) if you buy the NEMA 5-20 adapter from Tesla ($45) in advance. Much simpler than the DIY route for the TT-30 outlet and ~2/3 as fast.

Short answer: you shouldn't need to take the ICE; there are several ways you can make it work in the Tesla.

5. gimmi80

gimmi80 Member

Thank you for the excellent info. I'm a newbie and now that I reviewed the excellent info you provided I realized it is definitely doable.

Here is my plan.
    Leave from home W/100%.
    supercharge in Syracuse.
    charge overnight using the nema 5-20 that I will order from tesla.
    If that should not be enough I can use the plugshare in Watertown ny.
    Thanks for the assistance panicopticon

6. xrayangiodoc

xrayangiodoc Member

The NEMA 5-20 plug should deliver about 5 miles per hour of charge so a 24 hour charge could deliver up to 120 miles assuming the plug is properly wired.