Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stealth is a blessing sometimes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
...in that since no one can tell the difference between a PxxD car and a 60d (especially with grey 21s available on all Model S'), I guess people have to test out what's what.

I'd known, but exhaust sound alone, there was at least a couple McLaren owners here in Rancho Mirage, ca. because I've heard them and a R8 V10/Gallardo/Huracan' tearing down Frank Sinatra drive. It makes sense, given the size and price of some of the homes nearby (they're not in MY modest little gated community, that's for sure). Driving back from Starbucks ahead of my first conference call of the day, I pull into turning lane behind a bright green McLaren, and by the rear wing I can tell its a 675LT (my favorite until the new 720S is out). Turning onto our cross-street, he rolled fairly slowly..and then I heard the downshifts and he floored it from around 20mph. Needless to say I stayed exactly 1 car length behind him up to around 70, when he backed off.

I had to turn again to head home and pulled next him, with a thumbs up. As I was turning, I glanced at his face. He'd been craning his neck to, I suppose, read the back of my Model S to see which model I had as I was turning. I got to see his face relax as if saying 'Oh...one of THOSE'.

I really am genuinely spoiled by this car. But weirdly, it also makes me appreciate our other car, something lighter, smaller and louder.

Haha! I asked for a debadged car at delivery to make it easier to wrap. They didn't have any 60D badges in stock so they gave me a 60 and a 70D badge so that I could replace the 7 with the 6. Thinking of going with 67D to really confuse people. But yeah, if I had a P100D I would definitely de-badge. Although I like the clean look, I feel I need to re-badge as de-badging a 60D seems pretentious to me and I won't be keeping up with McLarens.

• Funny
Reactions: TexLaw
Debadged here too. I have fond memories of the "sleeper" concept back in the 1960s.

oh, that's still a thing. back in 2005, i had one of the first Chrysler 300 SRT8s. it had 425hp at a time when almost no other car did. that was a great sleeper. my brother drives a Chevy SS now, probably the ultimate sleeper (other than Tesla) available today. the car looks like a nondescript sedan but it is secretly a muscle car.

of course, Tesla has taken it to a completely new level with the P100D. :D