Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How do I make it shut up!??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm on a road trip in my Y, and last night I parked at a busy roadside rest stop for the night. This morning before sunrise, I needed some facilities that the car doesn't provide, so I hit the door button on one of the rear doors. First time nothing happened - it just woke up the indicator lights on the buttons &etc. So I tapped the button again, and all hell broke loose. The horn started beeping, and the stereo was blasting Toccata and Fugue in D Minor (on the external speakers, I'm not sure??). In a panic I hit the roller switches on the steering wheel, the screen, anything I could think of to shut it off, with no success. After 10-15 seconds it shut itself off.

I suspect everyone else at the rest stop is awake now...

* Why the heck did it do that?? This is my third night camping on this trip, and it never did this before. Maybe because it was warmer and I didn't bother turning on Camp Mode last night?
* How do I turn it off when it does it?
* Related question: the screen and the internal indicator lights go off after about 30 minutes after I settle down. Is there a way to shut them off sooner? And is there a way to turn them on so that I can use the internal lights? (WITHOUT waking the whole county!)

EDIT: Uh-oh. The internal lights & fans just went off again. And it's still not even 7:30am. I think I'll wait a while before I try opening a door again...

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: RoBoRaT and AS9.9.
I think you must be locking the doors while you are in it, and then just opening the doors from the inside. I think this will set the alarm off. My kids have done this when I've left them in the car locked. Try unlocking the car from your phone or touchscreen first before opening the door.

• Informative
Reactions: MitchMitch
Umm. You may be onto something there. Last night, after settling into my sleeping bag, my phone notified me that the doors were unlocked. Huh, okay, I told it to lock them. That's the first time it's done that, and I don't think I've ever locked the doors myself when camping.

I just checked the app, and my doors are unlocked, presumably from my pre-dawn concert. And now the doors open without any fuss. So apparently, if the doors are locked, you need to either unlock them with your phone, or tap the button once to wake up the electronics, and then unlock with the screen. Do NOT tap the door button a second time, or you'll wake up your neighbors with an unintended reveille!

Seems a bit silly to blast the alarm if someone opens the door from inside!

You have experience with the alarm going off... Do you know how to kill the alarm?

Thanks for the insight!

Last edited:
Umm. You may be onto something there. Last night, after settling into my sleeping bag, my phone notified me that the doors were unlocked. Huh, okay, I told it to lock them. That's the first time it's done that, and I don't think I've ever locked the doors myself when camping.

I just checked the app, and my doors are unlocked, presumably from my pre-dawn concert. And now the doors open without any fuss. So apparently, if the doors are locked, you need to either unlock them with your phone, or tap the button once to wake up the electronics, and then unlock with the screen. Do NOT tap the door button a second time, or you'll wake up your neighbors with an unintended reveille!

You have experience with the alarm going off... Do you know how to kill the alarm?

Thanks for the insight!
From the OM -

About the Security System
To deactivate the alarm, press any button on the mobile app or tap your key card or key fob against the card reader located approximately one third the way up of the driver's side door pillar. To manually enable or disable the alarm system, touch Controls > Safety > Security Alarm.

Thieves usually smash a window then open a door from the inside. ISTM when the car is locked then you don't want people opening the doors whether from the outside or the inside.

BTW: people have reported that you can no longer disable the alarm:

Thanks for the insight!
It sounds silly to you but if your doors are supposely locked and you are inside the car, you would think that someone is breaking an entering your vehicle so it makes sense that the car alarm goes off. Like someone mentioned if you are in the situation because you are camping in your Tesla, then just click the Camp mode button on the Tesla.

• Helpful
I'm on a road trip in my Y, and last night I parked at a busy roadside rest stop for the night. This morning before sunrise, I needed some facilities that the car doesn't provide, so I hit the door button on one of the rear doors. First time nothing happened - it just woke up the indicator lights on the buttons &etc. So I tapped the button again, and all hell broke loose. The horn started beeping, and the stereo was blasting Toccata and Fugue in D Minor (on the external speakers, I'm not sure??). In a panic I hit the roller switches on the steering wheel, the screen, anything I could think of to shut it off, with no success. After 10-15 seconds it shut itself off.

I suspect everyone else at the rest stop is awake now...

* Why the heck did it do that?? This is my third night camping on this trip, and it never did this before. Maybe because it was warmer and I didn't bother turning on Camp Mode last night?
* How do I turn it off when it does it?
* Related question: the screen and the internal indicator lights go off after about 30 minutes after I settle down. Is there a way to shut them off sooner? And is there a way to turn them on so that I can use the internal lights? (WITHOUT waking the whole county!)

EDIT: Uh-oh. The internal lights & fans just went off again. And it's still not even 7:30am. I think I'll wait a while before I try opening a door again...
Sounds like Sentry mode might be turned on.

In any case, it's one of the security features that you have enabled.

Are you sure? I didn't think that the alarm played Toccata and Fugue in D Minor at full volume.
I'm impressed you knew the song name by just listening to it, well done sir

1681335335067.png

composers-famous-last-words-2-1385659103-view-0.jpg

Last edited:
Are you sure? I didn't think that the alarm played Toccata and Fugue in D Minor at full volume.

Yes. The security alarm is triggered by opening a door from the inside when the car is locked which is what the OP described. And the alarm blares music when it goes off in addition to the horn:
Not a ferry issue, but I accidentally set off the alarm on a Model Y yesterday. [...] Not only does the horn blare incessantly, but it plays music through the outside speakers!

This was in another thread about being unable to turn off the security alarm after a software update.

Thanks for the insight!
This is how all my previous cars have acted. If doors are locked (i.e., security system active) any door opening sets off the alarm.

Thanks for the insight!
Not really silly … how does someone break into a car? Bust a window and open the door from the inside.

I didn't realize Camp Mode affected security settings &etc! I thought it just held the temperature in the cabin so you could have a comfortable night's sleep.

EDIT: I see it also disables the walk-away lock.
Thieves usually smash a window then open a door from the inside. ISTM when the car is locked then you don't want people opening the doors whether from the outside or the inside.
I would hope the car would alarm long before a thief tried to open it from the inside. Opening the door isn't a crime. Smashing the window so the thief can open it illegally is the crime, and that's what the alarm should go off for. Someone inside the car is inside the "protected' area of the lock, and shouldn't trigger an alarm.

But apparently it's common to do that...

Last edited:
I didn't realize Camp Mode affected security settings &etc! I thought it just held the temperature in the cabin so you could have a comfortable night's sleep.

I would hope the car would alarm long before a thief tried to open it from the inside. Opening the door isn't a crime. Smashing the window so the thief can open it illegally is the crime, and that's what the alarm should go off for. Someone inside the car is inside the "protected' area of the lock, and shouldn't trigger an alarm.

But apparently it's common to do that...
But car alarms do not and cannot detect crime .. they simply detect entry to the car that bypasses security checks. One check being the presence of someone inside the car when the car is locked.

Reactions: BitJam
I'm not saying the car has to detect crime. I'm saying that I personally don't believe it's a crime to open a door from the inside, and it shouldn't sound an alarm. An inside person is a trusted person. If the alarm detects the smashed window like it should, then there is no need to sound the alarm for an inside person opening the door.

I'm not saying the car has to detect crime. I'm saying that I personally don't believe it's a crime to open a door from the inside, and it shouldn't sound an alarm. An inside person is a trusted person. If the alarm detects the smashed window like it should, then there is no need to sound the alarm for an inside person opening the door.
Crack window and then you are inside.