Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Steel Wheels for Model 3 winter driving

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We installed standard black steel wheels for use with winter tires on our model 3 and when my wife brought it to the Tesla service centre (because the heat/front defroster only worked intermittently during a freezing rain storm) the tech guy immediately stated that he didn't think we should be using steel wheels on the model 3. He didn't state that we are going to wreck the car and need to remove them asap, he just stated that it's not recommended. Trying to get more info from them has been difficult and reaching someone on the phone has been impossible. The car feels fine and has been excellent in the snow. The wheel size is 18x7.5 5x114.3 42/64.1 and the tires are Michelin x-ice Xi3 BSW 235/45R18/XL98H which is the size Tesla recommended. The stock wheels are 19x8.5 40mm. So I am wondering if anyone has any info they can share about the potential problems or disadvantages of using steel wheels. I tried searching for info on this forum and in the owners manual and couldn't find anything. Thanks.

Depends on the strength of the wheel? What company is the wheel? Is it strength tested? Etc. there are people running 18x7.5 and those tires are definitely good enough with the weight load per tire since this car is heavier than your normal sedan.

curious where did you buy the steelies?

Model 3 on steelies? Pics pls.

Also I have no clue why that’s “bad.” If anyone’s doing anything wrong it’s guys like me who are pointlessly running massive wheels and tires with a performance envelope far beyond what you could ever achieve on public roads (still fun tho).

We installed standard black steel wheels for use with winter tires on our model 3 and when my wife brought it to the Tesla service centre (because the heat/front defroster only worked intermittently during a freezing rain storm) the tech guy immediately stated that he didn't think we should be using steel wheels on the model 3. He didn't state that we are going to wreck the car and need to remove them asap, he just stated that it's not recommended. Trying to get more info from them has been difficult and reaching someone on the phone has been impossible. The car feels fine and has been excellent in the snow. The wheel size is 18x7.5 5x114.3 42/64.1 and the tires are Michelin x-ice Xi3 BSW 235/45R18/XL98H which is the size Tesla recommended. The stock wheels are 19x8.5 40mm. So I am wondering if anyone has any info they can share about the potential problems or disadvantages of using steel wheels. I tried searching for info on this forum and in the owners manual and couldn't find anything. Thanks.
Steelies are heavier than alloys. So, efficiency goes down, and presumably, there's more motor strain. The advantage is that steelies are cheaper, and more easily repairable. I can see it not being rec'd, because winter efficiency is already poor, but there's no reason why it would be any more dangerous or problematic.

851402.jpg

Reactions: Suspect
Hydraulic Press Youtube channel crushed some steelies and cast wheels in the past. Interesting types of failures with an explosion on the cast wheel and only deformation of the steelie. Anyone with the wrong offset on steelies can use a press to change it...LOL.

Aluminum alloys are light, strong, but brittle; while steel alloys are slightly heavier, strong, but more ductile.

I would never use steel either. Aluminum wheels are so cheap these days it’s crazy to use steel. Did you get hubcaps in the Auto isle at Walmart to go with them?

Steelies will rust like crazy over time.

To be honest I won’t use anything but OEM wheels on any car.

The fixation on wheel weight around here is misguided. Since EVs have regenerative braking they can recover a good chunk of the extra energy used to accelerate a heavier wheel.

Also cheap mass produced OEM aluminum wheels often weigh as much as steel anyway, the Model 3 18" aero wheels are reasonably light so steel are likely heavier in this case but the aluminum vs steel argument doesn't always play out the way you want to assume.

Here is my take on this:
1. As per the load capacity (load index), steel wheels are going to be the cheapest option for sure.
2. Steel and alloy wheels has different load carrying structure.
3. When it comes to range, it totally depends on your usage and conditions. Whether its Summer and cold, your range will surely get affected due to weight of steel wheels. But if you are doing mileage during winter, then your range will get a hit for sure.
So, it will make more sense on higher mileage people to stick to alloy wheels.

These are the only main reasons I can think off unless Engineers who did the testing may have some load testing to show. But I believe the data will be related to range depreciation.

4. This point is for those people who likes to buy a spare tire for their tesla.
I will personally stick to alloy wheel because of change in wheel material compared to rest of the three tires and ofcourse weight. You may generate some load and tension issues on that side of the shock and knuckle joint which may have inverse effects on other three wheels.

Random experience share for those who likes to drive their Tesla's alot, if you are doing a roadtrip, and if you will have a flat or any road damage to your tire, then you would like to have a alloy spare wheel cuz finding a mechanic during roadtrip won't be fun and you want to enjoy your trip rather than wasting time to fix the tire.

btw I live in Quebec, its a beautiful place but roads are very bad. Pot holes on most of the highways as far as you go.