Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Steering Correction

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My MYLR will at random times display an alarm, pull my steering wheel, and display a message that says corrective steering applied. There seems to be no reason for this to happen when it occurs. Each time it occurs my vehicle is centered within my lane and there is nothing to collide with. This week when it occurred I was on a 2 lane road with no traffic in sight and centered in my lane.

Upon searching this I only found some older threads on this topic but it is very possible I missed something. Is there a setting that can be adjusted or is it a software glitch that Tesla has not solved?

In the model Y manual, there is a section on lane keeping assist, and emergency lane departure avoidance which is what it sounds like you are describing to me:

================================

Steering Interventions​

Lane Assist provides steering interventions if Model Y drifts into (or close to) an adjacent lane in which an object, such as a vehicle, is detected. In these situations, Model Y automatically steers to a safer position in the driving lane. This steering is applied only when Model Y is traveling between 30 and 85 mph (48 and 140 km/h) on major roads with clearly visible lane markings. When a steering intervention is applied, the touchscreen briefly displays a warning message.

Lane Departure Avoidance​

Lane Departure Avoidance is designed to warn you if Model Y is drifting out of, or nears the edge of, your driving lane.
Lane Departure Avoidance operates when driving between 40 and 90 mph (64 and 145 km/h) on roads with clearly visible lane markings. You can choose if and how you want Lane Departure Warning to operate by touching Controls > Autopilot > Lane Departure Avoidance and selecting between these options:
  • Off: You are not warned of lane departures or potential collisions with a vehicle in an adjacent lane.
  • Warning: If a front wheel passes over a lane marking, the steering wheel vibrates.
  • Assist: Corrective steering is applied to keep Model Y in a safe position if Model Y drifts into an adjacent lane or near the edge of the road.
When Lane Departure Avoidance is enabled and Traffic-Aware Cruise Control is active, if Model Y drifts out of the driving lane when the associated turn signal is off, Lane Assist also checks to see whether your hands are on the steering wheel. If hands are not detected, the touchscreen displays a series of alerts, similar to those that are used when driving with Autosteer. If hands are repeatedly not detected Model Y gradually slows down to 15 mph (25 km/h) below the detected speed limit, or below the set cruising speed, and the hazard lights start flashing.
Note
Lane Departure Avoidance does not warn you of lane departures, or provide steering interventions, if the associated turn signal is on, which indicates an intentional lane change.
Warning
Lane Departure Avoidance is intended to help keep you safe, but it does not work in every situation and does not replace the need to remain attentive and in control.
Warning
Keep your hands on the steering wheel and drive attentively at all times.
Warning
Steering interventions are minimal and are not designed to move Model Y out of its driving lane. Do not rely on steering interventions to avoid side collisions.

Emergency Lane Departure Avoidance​

Emergency Lane Departure Avoidance automatically applies steering to avoid a potential collision in situations where:
  • Model Y is departing a lane and may collide with a vehicle traveling in the same direction in the adjacent lane (regardless of the status of the turn signal).
  • Model Y is departing a lane into an oncoming lane, the turn signal is off, and an oncoming vehicle is detected.
  • Model Y is departing the road and the turn signal is off (for example, very close to the edge of the road and a collision may occur).
To turn this feature on or off, touch Controls > Autopilot > Emergency Lane Departure Avoidance.
When Emergency Lane Departure Avoidance applies steering, a chime sounds and the touchscreen displays a warning and highlights the lane marking in red.
Emergency Lane Departure Avoidance operates when Model Y is traveling between 64 and 145 km/h40 and 90 mph (64 and 145 km/h) on a road with clearly visible lane markings, curbs, etc.
Warning
Emergency Lane Departure Avoidance is not a substitute for attentive driving and sound judgment. Keep your eyes on the road when driving and never depend on Emergency Lane Departure Avoidance to prevent a collision. Several factors can reduce or impair performance. Depending on Emergency Lane Departure Avoidance to prevent a potential collision can result in serious injury or death.

In the model Y manual, there is a section on lane keeping assist, and emergency lane departure avoidance which is what it sounds like you are describing to me:

================================

Steering Interventions​

Lane Assist provides steering interventions if Model Y drifts into (or close to) an adjacent lane in which an object, such as a vehicle, is detected. In these situations, Model Y automatically steers to a safer position in the driving lane. This steering is applied only when Model Y is traveling between 30 and 85 mph (48 and 140 km/h) on major roads with clearly visible lane markings. When a steering intervention is applied, the touchscreen briefly displays a warning message.

Lane Departure Avoidance​

Lane Departure Avoidance is designed to warn you if Model Y is drifting out of, or nears the edge of, your driving lane.
Lane Departure Avoidance operates when driving between 40 and 90 mph (64 and 145 km/h) on roads with clearly visible lane markings. You can choose if and how you want Lane Departure Warning to operate by touching Controls > Autopilot > Lane Departure Avoidance and selecting between these options:
  • Off: You are not warned of lane departures or potential collisions with a vehicle in an adjacent lane.
  • Warning: If a front wheel passes over a lane marking, the steering wheel vibrates.
  • Assist: Corrective steering is applied to keep Model Y in a safe position if Model Y drifts into an adjacent lane or near the edge of the road.
When Lane Departure Avoidance is enabled and Traffic-Aware Cruise Control is active, if Model Y drifts out of the driving lane when the associated turn signal is off, Lane Assist also checks to see whether your hands are on the steering wheel. If hands are not detected, the touchscreen displays a series of alerts, similar to those that are used when driving with Autosteer. If hands are repeatedly not detected Model Y gradually slows down to 15 mph (25 km/h) below the detected speed limit, or below the set cruising speed, and the hazard lights start flashing.
Note
Lane Departure Avoidance does not warn you of lane departures, or provide steering interventions, if the associated turn signal is on, which indicates an intentional lane change.
Warning
Lane Departure Avoidance is intended to help keep you safe, but it does not work in every situation and does not replace the need to remain attentive and in control.
Warning
Keep your hands on the steering wheel and drive attentively at all times.
Warning
Steering interventions are minimal and are not designed to move Model Y out of its driving lane. Do not rely on steering interventions to avoid side collisions.

Emergency Lane Departure Avoidance​

Emergency Lane Departure Avoidance automatically applies steering to avoid a potential collision in situations where:
  • Model Y is departing a lane and may collide with a vehicle traveling in the same direction in the adjacent lane (regardless of the status of the turn signal).
  • Model Y is departing a lane into an oncoming lane, the turn signal is off, and an oncoming vehicle is detected.
  • Model Y is departing the road and the turn signal is off (for example, very close to the edge of the road and a collision may occur).
To turn this feature on or off, touch Controls > Autopilot > Emergency Lane Departure Avoidance.
When Emergency Lane Departure Avoidance applies steering, a chime sounds and the touchscreen displays a warning and highlights the lane marking in red.
Emergency Lane Departure Avoidance operates when Model Y is traveling between 64 and 145 km/h40 and 90 mph (64 and 145 km/h) on a road with clearly visible lane markings, curbs, etc.
Warning
Emergency Lane Departure Avoidance is not a substitute for attentive driving and sound judgment. Keep your eyes on the road when driving and never depend on Emergency Lane Departure Avoidance to prevent a collision. Several factors can reduce or impair performance. Depending on Emergency Lane Departure Avoidance to prevent a potential collision can result in serious injury or death.
Thank you for posting this! That blasted alarm gives me a heart attack several times a week for no reason! I turned off the emergency lane departure avoidance and the lane departure avoidance. Hoping for a more peaceful driving experience.

This week when it occurred I was on a 2 lane road with no traffic in sight and centered in my lane.
I hope that what you meant is that the CAR was in the center of the lane, not you. The reason I say this is that my wife was routinely getting these alerts and couldn't figure out why. With me in the passenger seat I could see that she was hugging the right white line. Yup, SHE was in the center but the car wasn't. Now she has corrected her driving.

I hope that what you meant is that the CAR was in the center of the lane, not you. The reason I say this is that my wife was routinely getting these alerts and couldn't figure out why. With me in the passenger seat I could see that she was hugging the right white line. Yup, SHE was in the center but the car wasn't. Now she has corrected her driving.
Ha Ha. That's interesting! In my case the car is in the center of the lane but thinks it isn't. I live in a mountain area with lots of curvy back roads. There are certain places that I regularly drive that will almost always engage the lane avoidance warning. I'm not sure if it is the white line on the road that confuses the cameras or the shadowing of the area. During the day it almost always triggers the warning in these places but never at night. I come to expect these warnings but still occasionally get some random warnings that I think are due to shadows in the road.

• Helpful
Reactions: Silicon Desert
I would like to think they are better than that but find they are very inaccurate when parking, to the point that I just ignore the warnings and drive like they didn't exist. On one curve when the sun is low the cameras detect a person standing in the road when no one is there.

I have the same experience with op. Car reacting to shadows quite often, lots of warnings on curvy road, etc.

Also the steering intervention seems to kick in only half of the time between 40-50 mph, and almost never kick in below 39 or above 55 mph, although the manual says 30-85.