Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Steering gear backorder, what to do?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sadly, I had an accident in my 3 month old model 3! I was pulling out of a parallel parking space on the street and the oncoming car ended up being too close and I nicked his left rear fender (Toyota Tacoma). No damage to his car other than a scratch on the fender, but my steering was completely inoperable and the left side of the front bumper fell off, headlight assembly cracked and fell off, tons of damage to my car. $9000 to be exact (that was actually before the steering gear). Thank god for insurance.

Anyway, they found out today after ordering all the suspension parts and starting to replace them, the steering gear needs to be replaced as well! Unfortunately, it's on "national backorder" as they say in the body shop industry. They don't know when it will come in. They will try to fix as much as they can until it does, but kind of sucks, I'm going to be without the car for a bit longer. I don't know if there is anything I can do, it seems to me if I bought a used one on eBay or an auto salvager it would not be warrantied, and I know the body shop would feel uncomfortable replacing a part that would not come with a warranty.

Is there anything I can do or just sit and wait longer? I'm sure if this is a national backorder, others in this forum may have already encountered the issue since this part appears to break on a lot of Teslas not just ones that have been in an accident.

Thanks for any help or advice you can offer in advance!