Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Steering Power Reduced

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I called Tesla road assistance yesterday, since I had the "cruise control unavailable" message again and couldn't use any autopilot features. The lady said she could see one of the cameras was a bit out of calibration. Walked me through resetting them and said to drive for a while and they would re-calibrate.
After driving about 20 miles, all autopilot features returned without having to reset the car. This morning everything is still working. Will update if any more issues.

Been driving the car since the power cycle two days ago “fixed” the steering assist error - no issues so far. Tesla checked the vehicle logs remotely today (“remote service team”) after I set up an appointment for Thursday in Albany NY area. Just got back to me saying they want to run some tests. Taking it to Tesla Montreal St Bruno service (much closer to me) in about a week. They said I could continue driving didn’t seem too worried.

Hmm. Had the exact same problem with my 1 month old MYLR. Got “steering power reduced” warning late at night ,but by next morning it had cleared. This was following a software update like many others had described. Decided to take it in to the Tesla service center and they said they would keep it and take a look. Below is the service notice they gave me after replacing the
Steering rack:

Concern: EPAS - power steering reduced
Road tested vehicle and was unable to duplicate the power steering issue. Reviewed vehicle signals and alerts and found power steering reduced alert occurred on May 18th. Performed circuit integrity check on the steering rack harness and found no issues. Found there to be an internal issue with the steering rack and it will need to be replaced.
Steering rack removed and repalced verified proper operation of vehicle alignment performed software updated no alerts present.
Correction: Steering Rack (Dual Motor) (Remove & Replace)
Parts Replaced or Added
Part Quantity
STEERING GEAR - 1.00 LEFT HAND
DRIVE(1044832-00-A)

Hmm. Had the exact same problem with my 1 month old MYLR. Got “steering power reduced” warning late at night ,but by next morning it had cleared. This was following a software update like many others had described. Decided to take it in to the Tesla service center and they said they would keep it and take a look. Below is the service notice they gave me after replacing the
Steering rack:

Concern: EPAS - power steering reduced
Road tested vehicle and was unable to duplicate the power steering issue. Reviewed vehicle signals and alerts and found power steering reduced alert occurred on May 18th. Performed circuit integrity check on the steering rack harness and found no issues. Found there to be an internal issue with the steering rack and it will need to be replaced.
Steering rack removed and repalced verified proper operation of vehicle alignment performed software updated no alerts present.
Correction: Steering Rack (Dual Motor) (Remove & Replace)
Parts Replaced or Added
Part Quantity
STEERING GEAR - 1.00 LEFT HAND
DRIVE(1044832-00-A)
Did the service center have the part on hand or did it take a while? Sounds like I’ll be getting a new steering rack.

Got in my 2023 Model Y LR this morning and the steering was essentially stuck. I could only move it with maximal effort. Software reset did nothing. The car has 1,900 miles on it…. What is next?

Attachments

• IMG_1337.jpeg
    IMG_1337.jpeg
    378.8 KB · Views: 184
Got in my 2023 Model Y LR this morning and the steering was essentially stuck. I could only move it with maximal effort. Software reset did nothing. The car has 1,900 miles on it…. What is next?
Please schedule a service using App. Ask for a flatbed tow

Below threads may help as well.

Per my post above, a power cycle “cleared” the issue for me last week. Might help while you wait for a service appt or at least avoid the tow? Hoping the issue doesn’t come back before I drive the car to the SC on Friday.

Per my post above, a power cycle “cleared” the issue for me last week. Might help while you wait for a service appt or at least avoid the tow? Hoping the issue doesn’t come back before I drive the car to the SC on Friday.

Just a (hopefully!) final update in case it's helpful to anyone. I visited the St. Bruno Quebec service center on June 9, 2023. They were expecting my 2023 MYLR (Austin build May 2023) might need a new steering rack and so they had already prepared a loaner for me. This was obviously a known issue for the service team. Unfortunately I learned I can't take a loaner back across the border, so instead they prioritized me for same-day service and gave me Uber credits. Must have had a steering rack in stock. Can't wait for the South Burlington Vermont SC to open! Anyway, after a nice breakfast in nearby Montreal, they called to say no mechanical issues and the car was ready. Here's the google-translated service report:

"problem not present at the time of the visit to the service center
checked logs and problem not present in the last 7 days
checked circuits and OK: power, ground and wake functional
firmware problem that has been solved
compliant vehicle"

FIN

If your phone is paired via Bluetooth remove the connection (just disconnect, you don't have to unpair it). Also don't remove the key, it's just something that interferes in the steering software via Bluetooth.

Interesting thanks. An investigator from NHTSA did email me yesterday asking some basic questions. Mostly wanted to know what the steering felt like and whether the issue came back (it hasn't in 4,300 miles so far).

When the steering wheel suddenly locked up, my partner was driving home on I-66 in his two-month-old Model Y. He nearly crashed into the Jersey wall before he could stop the car. He limped over the side and was unable to move the wheel. "Steering Assist Reduced" was displayed. After trying to reboot the car several times without success, he called Tesla, and they finally arrived and flat bedded it to the Arlington VA Service Center and gave him an Uber voucher. The tow truck driver told him he had seen "several" similar tows back to Tesla. He was freaked out, given how he nearly crashed the car. He's waiting to talk to the Service Center this morning to see if they can give him a loaner until they sort it out. What a nightmare!! Apparently, it is a known issue. :

Hi all,

Got my Model Y performance back in may, it has 1900 miles on it.

Saturday night I got into the car, and had no power steering with the “steering assist reduced message”. After a restart I got steering back but could tell it was off. It was struggling to steer and made a whining noise when turning the wheel.

This morning I limp it over to Tesla Service, in hopes they could squeeze me in cause there are no service appointments in Atlanta until 09/20/23. Luckily they took this issue very serious and put me in a loaner and took my car today.

I just got a message from my advisor that the tech ran diagnosis and it came back that I need an entirely new battery pack.

Can anyone elaborate on how loss of steering and a new battery pack are correlated, and has anyone else had the same fix for this issue?

Attachments

• IMG_7226.png
    IMG_7226.png
    442.1 KB · Views: 81
I got my brand new Tesla Model Y last week - I have driven it for 6 days.

Day 4 I couldn’t get the steering wheel to turn - it said there was a steering power reduced fault. I got in & out of the car and it corrected itself. Again day 5 this happened - it took longer to correct but error message went away.

I updated the car yesterday morning & it took ages. Stuck at 60% then once completed, the steering wheel error won’t go away & wheel won’t turn. Tesla advised they would pick up the car but I refused to let it go be parked up somewhere during Easter holidays. I’m a taxi driver so this car was a massive investment & I need a reliable car. Has anyone else had this fault recently or in a 2023 model?
The steering wheel locking incident just happened to us!! New car (bought it 6 weeks ago!). Thankfully was on the right side of the road so was able to get off the road and stop. It’s most likely related somehow to the Lane Assist feature because that’s showing as disabled.

Reset a few times and don’t fix the problem. What worked is switching off all road assist features (Lane Assist, Auto braking, etc). Was able to get steering wheel control and drive it to the service/dealership.

waiting to hear back from the Service team.

Hi everyone, this happened today to my 2022 Model Y LR. It was very concerning, steering wheel locked up while driving, almost crashed into a mailbox right next to my house. Received the "steering power reduced" message. I stopped on the side of the road and exited the car to calm down. I got back in the vehicle and the error went away. I live a couple of blocks from the Tesla service center (one of the reasons I initially bought the care was walking by this service center daily after dinner) and they took the car in and gave me a loaner. They said they will have the car for about a week to diagnose the problem. I'll report back once I find out what they say. Is this same issue I experience also part of the NHTSA investigation? Should I contact them? Thanks.

Last edited: