Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Steering problems

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After 2 years and 23,000 miles on my MX, power steering suddenly developed hard spots, requiring muscling around corners. I made an appointment for service-3 weeks away. After 5 days, the power steering returned to normal on its own. A week before the scheduled service I got an estimate for replacement of steering shaft and steering gear assembly-about $5000 in parts and labor. Tesla would like me to agree to the estimate in order to expedite the appointment. Anyone have similar experience with steering or service?

After 2 years and 23,000 miles on my MX, power steering suddenly developed hard spots, requiring muscling around corners. I made an appointment for service-3 weeks away. After 5 days, the power steering returned to normal on its own. A week before the scheduled service I got an estimate for replacement of steering shaft and steering gear assembly-about $5000 in parts and labor. Tesla would like me to agree to the estimate in order to expedite the appointment. Anyone have similar experience with steering or service?

This should be covered under warranty. My understanding is that they do send out estimates now regardless of warranty status. The warranty still stands though.