Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Steering Rack replacement?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took my 2022 X into service due to some power steering issues and the service estimate document says "Correction: Steering Rack (Remove & Replace)". They're covering it under warranty.

Can anyone tell me what exactly they'll be replacing? Does this include the half shaft that causes the acceleration shudder?

Hi @Dino Saysrawr ,

Welcome to TMC !!!

They are replacing the Steering Rack - which used to be a Bosch motor assembly
with a geared "rack."
If you think of a gear that is a square shaft rather than a circular wheel, this is it...

The motor pushes and pulls the rack which pulls the wheels to steer the car.
Debris can be in the motor or a bent rack, many things could be wrong.
In the scheme of things it is a simple fix (for them.)

This has nothing to do with the acceleration shudder which involves
half shafts and CV like joints being stressed by high torque applied at odd angles...

Good Luck,

Shawn

"Remove and replace" is standard language to indicate that they are taking it out then putting it back. Sometimes, they remove and replace something that is just in the way of something else that they need to work on. It does not imply that they are actually doing anything with the part they are removing. The same language is used for any auto repair so they can account for the labor (and charge for the time if appropriate). However, due to your complaint of power steering issues, they might be cleaning or doing some other work on the rack to see if they can get it working without new parts. You need to check the repair estimate to see if any parts are being used which will indicate whether or not you will get a new rack.