Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Steering/rubbing/clunking noise at low speed P90D w/ 99k miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Your 12v is probably in the way of the control arm then and I'd recommend tesla do it if you don't want to do it yourself.
FYI the control arm costs about $100 Canadian, aftermarket.
You mean, the OEM 12 Volt battery or the 4 AWG power wire that I connected to the 12V battery (ran through the firewall grommet, directly to the center/underneath the windshield wiper tray) is in the way of the control arm?

I should hope that I'm not such a bonehead to do but I was on valium that day after my epidural :p that but this noise/issue occurred 45+ days ago when I first bought this car used from a Canadian dealer in North York area. About 3 days ago is when I ran my power wire from the 12V battery.

I'm not mechanically adept :(with replacing control arms or suspension components and would appreciate recommendations on any shops in the GTA that works on Teslas. I do have access to Tesla's shop manual but does me no good since I don't have the tools or "muscle" to do that sort of work.

Tesla finished fixing my car and I will pick it up later this afternoon and they lowered their original estimate on what parts needed replacing. Here's the final bill that I just paid (in CAD $$ since closest Tesla dealership is in Kitchener, ON).

It appears that they didn't replace (or needed to) the front upper control arms at all (maybe if the rust gets bad enough, I'll get a non-Tesla shop to do that along with new struts).

My 2016 MS has 100k miles and must be the harsh Ontario winters that's making it super rusty? My 2009 BMW X3 (daily driver) that I owned for 5 years in western NY didn't have any rust issues.

1661279048632.png

I will see for the next few days if this indeed fixed the problem. I'm going to drive the snot out of it to make sure...lol.

Your 12v is probably in the way of the control arm then and I'd recommend tesla do it if you don't want to do it yourself.
FYI the control arm costs about $100 Canadian, aftermarket.

Please send me a link to buy this control arm for future preventative maintenance. Is it OEM or aftermarket? As long as it's "good" quality (survive at least 3 more years of Ontario winter). Thank you.