Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Steering Wheel Calibration Error

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Dave EV

Jun 23, 2009
Earth
So I tried to calibrate the seats and steering wheel using the in-car menu so that when switching cars it would do a better job of matching seat and steering wheel positions with the roaming profiles.

But when I tried to calibrate my Model 3, the calibration failed. No real details left on the screen except "try again later". Tried a bunch of times over a couple times, still got the same error.

Finally went into service mode and found this error:

VCLEFT_a134_SteerColUpDownUnCal

Adjusting the steering wheel manually still works, but as it states, when switching driver profiles, the steering wheel no longer adjusts itself.

Any idea what causes this? I can open a service ticket, but with the car out of warranty I'm a bit worried about the cost and it's not a huge deal most of the time.

PXL_20230217_050827608.jpg

After more research, it appears that the connector X182 may have issues related to this.

Anyone know the easiest way to get to this and to positively identify it? The service manuals and connector reference help, but none of the service manual instructions reference harness names or connector ids...

Best I can figure is that this is the connector attached to the steering column. The steering column R & R is helpful, but probably removes way more stuff than needed to just get to the connector for inspection.

2023 M3P with 5k miles. This just happened to me as well a few days ago. I noticed that easy entry stopped moving the steering wheel back and when switching driver profiles the steering wheel would not adjust to driver profile settings.

Then I tried to manually move the steering wheel but the motor would not move up or down only in and out.

Then I went into the service menu and tried to do the steering wheel calibration but the calibration keeps failing. I checked the service mode and have the same Error code as you.

Made a service appointment and mobile technician is coming in a week. I’ll keep you updated on what happens next.

Reactions: Dave EV
Thanks, keen to find out what happens with you. I will likely see if I can get to the connector from the bottom when I get some time, but it seems that pulling the dash apart might have to be done to get to the connector.

Then have to hope that it is the connector and the pins can be carefully bent back without replacing the harness.

Might be easier to just have service deal with it. Seems like they should take care of it in my case under good-will, if the cause is the connector as that would have had to been caused during manufacturing...

Alright so the issue has finally been fixed. This time it took the service center 4 days to find and fix the issue. Below is the note that was left by the technician on what he did to fix.

“technician was able to confirm customers concern, technician found up and down motor halleffect sensor shorted causing customers concern. technician removed/replaced steering control column and confirmed issues are no longer present. technician test drove vehicle and confirmed vehicle is operating per design.”

Reactions: ph0ton and Dave EV
Interesting, I wonder how the sensor "shorted".
“technician was able to confirm customers concern, technician found up and down motor halleffect sensor shorted causing customers concern. technician removed/replaced steering control column and confirmed issues are no longer present. technician test drove vehicle and confirmed vehicle is operating per design.”
Hmm, interesting. I wonder what exactly shorted, and if instead it was the X182 connector I mentioned earlier (not easy to get to, appear to have to remove at least part of the dash).

The Circuit and Connector reference does reference the hall effect sensor in the connector, so I think that's the most likely cause.

Pretty crazy, though, if so, as this would be an assembly issue that has been going on for 5 years now (your 2023 and my 2018 Model 3).

1680731876138.png

Ugh...I literally just tried to do the same thing and it keeps failing. I've not checked the service mode yet and now I'm kind of afraid to. I really don't want to be without the car for days again.

But its still under warranty so I guess I kind of have to...

I took mine to get service for this error months ago when I had warranty. The tech at the time thought out was maybe going to be solved with an update but that never got fixed and I’ve just dealt with it. I wonder if I show them this would they repair it as goodwill? My warranty is expired now

I took mine to get service for this error months ago when I had warranty. The tech at the time thought out was maybe going to be solved with an update but that never got fixed and I’ve just dealt with it. I wonder if I show them this would they repair it as goodwill? My warranty is expired now
If you've got a record of asking them to check it and them not fixing it as they should have...its possible. Might be a bit of a battle though.