Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Steering Wheel covering issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone had this issue? My Model Y is from March of 2020 - so about 1.5 years old. I noticed this at first because it was bunching up under my hand.

IMG-3925.jpg

Use a lot of hand sanitizer? There have been a couple threads of bubbling seat covers and head rests that point to ethyl alcohol damage. IMHO anything we touch or sit on inside the car should be durable enough to withstand daily usage and seeing stuff like this within a year or so is concerning for anyone that keeps cars for ten years.

Reactions: linux-works
materials on the tesla are under-par.

its been said that the $50k tesla is actually closer to a $30k corolla, but with motors, computers and a big battery.

the car, itself, is kinda crappy. low grade materials and fit/finish is equally as poor.

reminds me a lot of the crappy cars the US put out in the 1980's.

remember, you are not getting a mercedes, here; all the cost of this car is in the tech and NOT materials! that much should be clear to anyone who has sat on one for more than just a test drive.

Reactions: ZilWin
Use a lot of hand sanitizer? There have been a couple threads of bubbling seat covers and head rests that point to ethyl alcohol damage. IMHO anything we touch or sit on inside the car should be durable enough to withstand daily usage and seeing stuff like this within a year or so is concerning for anyone that keeps cars for ten years.

Not a tremendous amount - maybe once a day, and usually not before getting into the car. I am just curious if this is something I should call the service center about or if they are just going to say "go buy a new wheel or get a steering wheel cover." I have had many cars in the past and leather never does that.

Matt

Not a tremendous amount - maybe once a day, and usually not before getting into the car. I am just curious if this is something I should call the service center about or if they are just going to say "go buy a new wheel or get a steering wheel cover." I have had many cars in the past and leather never does that.

Matt
I used to like bmw's and had a few, over the years. every single one of them had leather seats that would chip off over time. every time, the company denied warranty coverage on it.

so, materials being bad is not new to even 'premium' brands, but its how they handle it that shows a winning vendor mentality from a loser.

As long as the hand sanitizer has dried there should be no issue with ethyl alcohol damaging the steering wheel. In the cases where hand sanitizer, other skin care products or hair products have damaged the polyurethane seat covers some of the product has spilled onto the seat or transferred to the head rest and not been promptly cleaned up.