Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Steering wheel is shaking on auto-park.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mine showed autopark was available in to a parking space like in the video, after I parallel parked along a curb that was in front of a strip of stores/restaurants along a street. If it were successful, I would have parked inside of the coffee shop I was in front of.

Did you feel you are safe?
We've been worrying about this issue especially what if it happens on the highway :eek:
This was the first time I had used the auto-park, so I felt safe enough since I had my foot hovering over the brake while I monitored the slow-moving progress.

The jerkiness seems to be just a momentary *removal* of torque on the wheel - which then looks extreme since the wheel wants to snap back to center during an aggressive turn like those made while parking. I would have zero worry about this happening on the highway since the car is already headed in a mostly straight line. The effect either way is no different than momentarily removing your hands from the wheel when driving manually.

• Helpful
Reactions: Youngjun
Noticed mine doing this recently after the latest software update as well. Was actually concerned the servo controlling the steering was going out but haven't had any issues at all when driving down the road using autopilot even on some very sharp curves that require turning the wheel and holding it in the same way autopark does. That makes it less likely to be the servo to me and more likely to be some weird software glitch. Although the glitch itself could damage the servo. I have need of getting my tires rotated very soon and was planning to list it as something to look at in the service appointment.

Reactions: Youngjun
Noticed mine doing this recently after the latest software update as well. Was actually concerned the servo controlling the steering was going out but haven't had any issues at all when driving down the road using autopilot even on some very sharp curves that require turning the wheel and holding it in the same way autopark does. That makes it less likely to be the servo to me and more likely to be some weird software glitch. Although the glitch itself could damage the servo. I have need of getting my tires rotated very soon and was planning to list it as something to look at in the service appointment.
Which version yours is using? mine one is 2021.3.103 (2021.3.103 Official Tesla Software Update | Teslascope)

There’s a technique. Took me a long time to figure it out. you need to drive closer to the row of cars than you naturally would, as you pass by the open spot.
^This for parallel parking.

In terms of backing into a regular parking spot into a parking lot, I find that it doesn't work if there aren't cars on both sides of the spot and 90% of the time one in the spot behind as well. It really really seems to be based on other cars not the parking lines. Further evidence of this is that it will match the alignment of those other cars not the parking lines. For example using it this morning (mainly just to see if the wheel shaking happened again rather than needing it) the car to the left of my parking spot was parked in his spot at an angle instead of straight. The MY matched his angle instead of backing straight into the parking spot between the lines. I had to manually straighten it up.

It also didn't do that wheel shaking thing this time so who knows on that front.

You mean pulling forward into a parking space?
No, sorry. I’m talking about the technique I use to auto park, perpendicular by backing in. You must choose a spot between 2 cars. Say the spot is on your right. You slowly drive past the empty spot but the right side of your car is fairly close (maybe 2-3 feet) to the rear ends of the cars aside the empty spot. When the tail end of your car is about at the center of the 2nd car, throw it into reverse and you should get the option to auto park.

No, sorry. I’m talking about the technique I use to auto park, perpendicular by backing in. You must choose a spot between 2 cars. Say the spot is on your right. You slowly drive past the empty spot but the right side of your car is fairly close (maybe 2-3 feet) to the rear ends of the cars aside the empty spot. When the tail end of your car is about at the center of the 2nd car, throw it into reverse and you should get the option to auto park.
Ah OK I understand what you mean now. I'll have to try it. The turning radius of the MY is so large I feel like that is likely to require a lot of back and forth to get into the spot. Unless parking spots are a LOT wider where you live.