Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Steering wheel leather coming loose

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just noticed this issue. Actually happened over the last few days. Has stopped getting worse now thankfully. My car is usually parked indoors if not then I usually use a sun shield. Regardless, have owned cars for decades with pleather wrapped steering wheels without sun shield and parked in hot environments and never had this issue. My car is < 1 year old.
Is this the vegan leather? You should ask service to replace it, just in case it starts to get worse when you’re out of warranty.

I literally had my steering wheel replaced today. They replaced mine under “goodwill 1-time” since I’m past the (pathetically short) 12500 mile interior warranty. Hopefully newer cars have a longer interior warranty…
the new steering wheel is sewn differently, and at least so far, smells like weird rubber.

I literally had my steering wheel replaced today. They replaced mine under “goodwill 1-time” since I’m past the (pathetically short) 12500 mile interior warranty. Hopefully newer cars have a longer interior warranty…
the new steering wheel is sewn differently, and at least so far, smells like weird rubber.
What's this 12.5k "interior" warranty? Never heard about this. Tesla really just makes up the warranty length for specific things.

• Helpful
Reactions: CSGeekme
Just going off what they told me. I didn’t know anything about it.
Did you buy new or used?

The Tesla warranty documentation states the Basic Vehicle Limited Warranty on new vehicles covers correction of defects in materials or workmanship under normal use for a period of 4 years or 50k miles.

warranty.png

Normal wear and tear, including wrinkling and abrasions, is exempted from the warranty coverage.
warranty 2.png

It sounds like they covered the steering wheel under a goodwill repair, but the 12,500-mile interior warranty period they note seems to be inaccurate based on Tesla's own documentation (unless I'm missing something here?).

Link to warranty documentation here

Reactions: CSGeekme
Not exactly a steering wheel, but I was denied warranty replacement for a delamination of my outer seat bolster. It started as a wrinkle, and is now a hot mess of blisters. Apparently if this had happened within the first six months of ownership, they would have covered it.

I was told they can replace the bottom half of the seat, rather than having to re-cover the whole thing. Tempted to go with white for the bottom and keep the top half black :p

Screenshot 2021-06-24 215449.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: afadeev
Just had my steering wheel replaced. I got my model 3 new 11 months ago and it has 18k miles. Mobile appointment made with no issues. I added the pictures showing the bubbling loose leather to my service request when I made it. The vegan leather became loose from the 12:00-3:00 position. The new wheel ended up being a nice upgrade as my scroll wheels are now the updated metal style! Love the up graded replacement parts change! It felt like the rubber wheels were getting slightly worn/slippery.
67C5A160-4280-4D40-AF5D-BD6C07255459.jpeg
111974C7-F1F4-47DD-9C8D-8E0A4000FB22.jpeg

Last edited:
Just had my steering wheel replaced. I got my model 3 new 11 months ago and it has 18k miles. Mobile appointment made with no issues. I added the pictures showing the bubbling loose leather to my service request when I made it. The vegan leather became loose from the 12:00-3:00 position. The new wheel ended up being a nice upgrade as my scroll wheels are now the updated metal style! Love the up graded replacement parts change! It felt like the rubber wheels were getting slightly worn/slippery.
Just noticed this issue. Actually happened over the last few days. Has stopped getting worse now thankfully. My car is usually parked indoors if not then I usually use a sun shield. Regardless, have owned cars for decades with pleather wrapped steering wheels without sun shield and parked in hot environments and never had this issue. My car is < 1 year old.

Was the new wheel they installed the heated one? May be an even bigger upgrade if so. Also further proof of a retrofit.

I turned the air conditioning off and tried the voice command. I got the “feature not available yet” message. I really doubt the ability to turn it on will be added to my 2020 SR+ VIN when they decide to roll out the heated steering wheel option to more cars.

My car is parked in a garage at home and work. Only sees sunshine while driving or parked for shopping. I never use hand lotion. Noticed it in Jun (9mos) since delivery. Ohh, I have cabin heat protection on whenever parked as well.