Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Steering Wheel No Longer Telescoping In/out

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My steering wheel will no longer go in or out. It will go up and down, but not in or out.
Seems strange. Just got 2019.20.2.1 last night, not sure if that has something to do with it.

Anyone else have issues with steering wheel adjustments? I hate driving it this way. Ive rebooted it a couple times to no avail.
Ill set up an appt with service if it doesnt go away within a day or two.

• Informative
Reactions: beachmiles
I had that happen on my 3 about 6 months in. One day, the steering wheel just stopped telescoping. You could hear the motor attempt to move (very brief hum - maybe for 0.1 seconds), but no actual movement. The radio and HVAC fan would need to be pretty quiet to hear the motor. Mine failed while fully retracted, so while waiting for a repair, it felt like I had T-Rex arms. Had to adjust my profile forward to make the fixed steering wheel location comfortable to drive with.

Fixed by a mobile technician who replaced a motor and gear in the steering column. Sounded like he had seen this a couple times already. He brought a whole steering column, but just swapped a couple parts between it and my car.

One thing to check is the noise you get when tapping on the plastic cover on the bottom of the steering column with your knuckles (both before and after the work). Mine has a subtle rattle that I need to get addressed at some point. Almost like a washer or spacer was left out and that cover is a little loose. I can hear it rattle on a couple road surfaces, but usually it’s silent.

Concern: Customer: steering column does not adjust properly
Corrections: Steering Column
removed steering column motor that is binding and attempted to unbind but was not successful. replaced steering column motor/worm gear with new parts, updated firmware, and verified correct operation
Parts Replaced or Added
Part Quantity
ELECTRIC STEERING COLUMN, LHD 1 (1044811-99-E)
Pay Type: Warranty​

Edit; after the repair, I adjusted my Easy Entry profile to just raise/lower the column instead of also telescoping. I’m sure that wasn’t necessary, but it did make me feel good to do that. I intend to keep the vehicle past the full warranty period.

Reactions: beachmiles
Hi @_richard did you get it resolved?

Ever since an update 2 weeks ago, our wipers stopped working. We brought the car in a Service Center and they fixed it, but ever since the steering wheel only telescopes in/out about half an inch. It appears the telescopic steering wheel needs to be recalibrated but even Tesla does not know how to fix it yet. We have the issue on all driver profiles.