Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Steering wheel off center but alignment in spec?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I picked up mine mid February and drove it less than 450 miles. Got a warning on the screen about "Steering Alignment" problem. I did not notice the steering was off center (may be it was). Is it real off center or is it a ghost message? Anyway, earliest SC appoint is in April.

I picked up my MYLR from service today. As I mentioned before, the steering wheel was off center quite a bit when I got the car and I took it to service last week where it sat all day with nothing done to it.

The steering wheel did self adjust towards center quite a bit in the first 300 miles I drove the car so I wasn't expecting that the service center would do much. The SC was pretty empty today and they got to the car right away. Surprisingly, the steering wheel is perfectly centered now.

Really enjoying the MY so far!

I picked up my MYLR from service today. As I mentioned before, the steering wheel was off center quite a bit when I got the car and I took it to service last week where it sat all day with nothing done to it.

The steering wheel did self adjust towards center quite a bit in the first 300 miles I drove the car so I wasn't expecting that the service center would do much. The SC was pretty empty today and they got to the car right away. Surprisingly, the steering wheel is perfectly centered now.

Really enjoying the MY so far!
Today the warning sign is gone but I notice the steering yoke is not centered when I am driving a straight road. I will keep my service appointment since it is so hard to come by. By April, if it is still off center, I will bring it in.

I took delivery today of a MY7LR and immediately noticed the steering was off to the right. The computer was actually smart enough to also detect it and said it was still safe to drive but to make a service appointment so I continued home. 10 minutes later all the safety systems turned off and was totally not happy. I turned around to go back to Tesla unfortunately the service center was not open today (weekend). The delivery person that helped me said it shouldn't be off center unless I hit something, I was so annoyed and angry after he said that I told him to go look at my wheels and tires for damage if that's what he believes happened.

Anyways I had to go home and make an appointment since the service center was closed. I am going to be very mad if they cannot fix this next week when I bring it in, or if they accuse me of having hit something...

Very annoyed at Tesla right now, both of my delivery experiences at Tesla were not great...

I took delivery today of a MY7LR and immediately noticed the steering was off to the right. The computer was actually smart enough to also detect it and said it was still safe to drive but to make a service appointment so I continued home. 10 minutes later all the safety systems turned off and was totally not happy. I turned around to go back to Tesla unfortunately the service center was not open today (weekend). The delivery person that helped me said it shouldn't be off center unless I hit something, I was so annoyed and angry after he said that I told him to go look at my wheels and tires for damage if that's what he believes happened.

Anyways I had to go home and make an appointment since the service center was closed. I am going to be very mad if they cannot fix this next week when I bring it in, or if they accuse me of having hit something...

Very annoyed at Tesla right now, both of my delivery experiences at Tesla were not great...
I took delivery of my MYLR on a late Saturday and noticed the same problem while driving the car home. Since the SC was closed at that point and wouldn't open until Monday, I waited until Monday to notify them via the app about the misaligned steering wheel. They quoted me an estimated $107 to fix it and when I challenged the estimated charge they also suggested that I had hit something. What a crappy way to deal with someone who had just picked up a brand new car!

Anyway, they ended up not charging me to fix it. I hope it works out for you as well.

I took delivery of my MYLR on a late Saturday and noticed the same problem while driving the car home. Since the SC was closed at that point and wouldn't open until Monday, I waited until Monday to notify them via the app about the misaligned steering wheel. They quoted me an estimated $107 to fix it and when I challenged the estimated charge they also suggested that I had hit something. What a crappy way to deal with someone who had just picked up a brand new car!

Anyway, they ended up not charging me to fix it. I hope it works out for you as well.
There are many posting about Tesla steering of center. Some said it will self center. My only had 450 miles on it and never hit anything besides rolling over speed bumps slowly. If that caused the steering to be mis-align. They really have quality ussue.

Well I brought it in today and they showed me the before and after alignment specs, I am just blown away how they could deliver a vehicle with alignment way out like mine was. Not only that but the rep kept telling me it was a good thing that I brought it in right away because if I waited any longer they would charge me for the alignment because again they are implying people could hit a pothole and cause the alignment to be so messed up...There's no way someone could hit a curb or pothole and cause the alignment to be as bad as my Y was without significant damage...🤬 I don't know what these guys are smokin'...🤯

Anyways they did make it right and sorted out my other minor issues also. The steering is very, very slightly to the left now but not noticeable unless I really think about it.

Well I brought it in today and they showed me the before and after alignment specs, I am just blown away how they could deliver a vehicle with alignment way out like mine was. Not only that but the rep kept telling me it was a good thing that I brought it in right away because if I waited any longer they would charge me for the alignment because again they are implying people could hit a pothole and cause the alignment to be so messed up...There's no way someone could hit a curb or pothole and cause the alignment to be as bad as my Y was without significant damage...🤬 I don't know what these guys are smokin'...🤯

Anyways they did make it right and sorted out my other minor issues also. The steering is very, very slightly to the left now but not noticeable unless I really think about it.
I reported to the SC of same issue with my Refreshed MS which I picked up weeks ago. The yoke is off center to the right for about 10-15 degrees. When the steering misaligned warning came out, I only had less than 450 miles on it and never hit anything. My appointment is April 11. Let's hope they do not give me the nonsense of I hit a pothole. I am in Southern Cal, there is no pothole.

Same issue on my MYLR 2/13/22 build. I submitted the ticket at mile 55 or something, along with a few cosmetic issues. They have me scheduled for a 4 wheel alignment, for free, on my service visit next week. I dont know if their machine is broken at Fremont or what, but its odd to receive a vehicle with a bad alignment. My 2020 P3D- was flawless over 15k miles and many potholes.

Picked up my MYLR on 3/24 and I pretty much noticed this issue immediately, but thought it was all in my head. I waited a few days and then logged it in my initial appointment with some other concerns from delivery. Hope Tesla is able to fix everything on Thursday. Will report back.

Picked up my MYLR on 3/24 and I pretty much noticed this issue immediately, but thought it was all in my head. I waited a few days and then logged it in my initial appointment with some other concerns from delivery. Hope Tesla is able to fix everything on Thursday. Will report back.
I am so thankful for this Forum because I had no clues when I picked up my MSLR last month. I have the new yoke and thought it was the character of the yoke steering until a warning popped up. I am bring it in for fix next week under warranty. It is amazing so many new cars they delivered with misalignment.

Took delivery of a new car, just like the previous one, it was immediately out of alignment. The steering wheel is slightly to the right, brought it to the service center, they aligned it and it's within spec. Scheduled another center as they were unavailable and that center remote in and said it's within spec but the wheel is still slightly to the right.

Anyone else have this issue and what can be done? On my previous Y, they were able to do it spot on. I thought about removing the steering wheel and putting it one notch to the left if that's possible?

24E3AFD8-8AD6-4FB5-BE74-DCA3F7212E5B.jpeg

Picked mine up in August and noticed this right away. Mine seems to be worse at highway speeds. It’s probably leaning about a half inch to the right. At lower speeds it’s pretty dead center. Just made a service appointment so we’ll see what happens.

Just picked up Model Y on May 1st. Noticed wheel a few degrees off to the right on drive home. Based on finding this post I have scheduled service appointment and they are going to take a look next week. I will provide update. Car drives straight. Also trying the magical self-healing trick (turn off Sentry and let car go into deep sleep) and sending positive energy to Tesla Gods to see what works.

Just picked up Model Y on May 1st. Noticed wheel a few degrees off to the right on drive home. Based on finding this post I have scheduled service appointment and they are going to take a look next week. I will provide update. Car drives straight. Also trying the magical self-healing trick (turn off Sentry and let car go into deep sleep) and sending positive energy to Tesla Gods to see what works.
It is such a common issue with new car delivery that you might as well wait for the service to correct it. It takes only a few hours and all will be well.

It is such a common issue with new car delivery that you might as well wait for the service to correct it. It takes only a few hours and all will be well.
So no luck with magical self healing but happy to report the alignment did resolve the issue. Perfectly centered now. Albeit drivers side front wheel still slightly out of spec but no option to adjust it. I have a follow up appointment for that next week.

Reactions: Pcm888usa
So no luck with magical self healing but happy to report the alignment did resolve the issue. Perfectly centered now. Albeit drivers side front wheel still slightly out of spec but no option to adjust it. I have a follow up appointment for that next week.
Tesla shop fixed driver side front and after another alignment we are in the clear.

Attachments

• 20220519_212629.jpg
    20220519_212629.jpg
    395.3 KB · Views: 100
Reactions: Pcm888usa
I just noticed slight off center to the right, so I requested an appointment, and the initial estimate came back with $125, and the text message was asking if I had any incident that might cause misalignment, and I texted back and told them no. I also mentioned that a lot of owners with similar delivery time frame were experiencing the same issue (off center to the right). Tesla app updated the estimate to $0 within minutes.
So, what should I expect? I am dropping off the car on Friday 0700. Do I get a loaner or Uber credit? I am 60 miles away from the SC, and I am not planning on bringing my wife with separate vehicle.
WIll they brush off the issue (slight off center to the right) and send me home? or Will they perform the alignment anyway? maybe test drive to confirm it first?