TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Steering Wheel, Real Leather?

Discussion in 'Model 3: Interior & Exterior' started by tfraley, Jun 20, 2019.

1. tfraley

tfraley Member

Hey guys,

I believe I've read somewhere that the steering wheel in the Model 3 is real lather ie, not vegan leather.
    I have a Model 3 SR+ and just wondering what I should use to protect/clean the steering wheel.

I'm using 303 Aerospace Protectant on the rest of the car. I love this stuff used it in all my other cars for years.
    However, if the steering wheel is leather then, I guess I should be using something else.

Can anyone confirm if this is real leather and what you are using to seal and clean it.

Thanks

2. SabrToothSqrl

SabrToothSqrl Active Member

Have car. 24,000 miles. did nothing. no issues.

3. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Yes, real leather for now. A vegan shareholder keeps reminding Elon that some people want an animal product free car, but the response has been basically "Tesla is working on 'off-menu' non-leather alternative but they are struggling to make it as durable as leather." I think they may have verbally committed to offering non-leather on Model Y.

So, I would assume any standard leather care guides would apply to current Model 3 steering wheels.

To me, the most important thing to help would be a sun shade on the windshield to keep the steering wheel (and dashboard) from baking in the sun when the car is parked.

• Like x 1
  4. joebruin77

joebruin77 Member

I use Chemical Guys Leather Cleaner and Leather Protectant. But any cleaner and protectant specifically for leather should be good.

• Like x 1
  5. edigest

edigest Member

GYEON Q2 Leather Shield can be used on both the leather and vegan leather. I applied a couple months ago -- no problems. (Got it to protect against the brutal summers here in AZ.)

I can clean anything off the areas I applied it with just a moist microfiber cloth.

• Like x 1