Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Steering Wheel, Real Leather?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys,

I believe I've read somewhere that the steering wheel in the Model 3 is real lather ie, not vegan leather.
I have a Model 3 SR+ and just wondering what I should use to protect/clean the steering wheel.

I'm using 303 Aerospace Protectant on the rest of the car. I love this stuff used it in all my other cars for years.
However, if the steering wheel is leather then, I guess I should be using something else.

Can anyone confirm if this is real leather and what you are using to seal and clean it.

Thanks

Yes, real leather for now. A vegan shareholder keeps reminding Elon that some people want an animal product free car, but the response has been basically "Tesla is working on 'off-menu' non-leather alternative but they are struggling to make it as durable as leather." I think they may have verbally committed to offering non-leather on Model Y.

So, I would assume any standard leather care guides would apply to current Model 3 steering wheels.

To me, the most important thing to help would be a sun shade on the windshield to keep the steering wheel (and dashboard) from baking in the sun when the car is parked.

Reactions: tfraley
Hey guys,

I believe I've read somewhere that the steering wheel in the Model 3 is real lather ie, not vegan leather.
I have a Model 3 SR+ and just wondering what I should use to protect/clean the steering wheel.

I'm using 303 Aerospace Protectant on the rest of the car. I love this stuff used it in all my other cars for years.
However, if the steering wheel is leather then, I guess I should be using something else.

Can anyone confirm if this is real leather and what you are using to seal and clean it.

Thanks

I use Chemical Guys Leather Cleaner and Leather Protectant. But any cleaner and protectant specifically for leather should be good.

Reactions: tfraley
resurrecting an old post rather than starting a new post. Has anyone found a way to keep the leather steering wheel looking new with the matte finish? Mine is starting to shine from oils and the sunlight, and wanted to try to restore it before it becomes completely glossed.

resurrecting an old post rather than starting a new post. Has anyone found a way to keep the leather steering wheel looking new with the matte finish? Mine is starting to shine from oils and the sunlight, and wanted to try to restore it before it becomes completely glossed.

Simple, and I personally do not apply any protectant to the leather steering wheels in my car. All you need to do to ensure the steering wheel cover stays in great shape are:
  1. Don't wear jewelry on your hands/fingers that can contact/scuff/scratch the steering wheel.
  2. Wash your hands before you drive. Don't eat/drink greasy stuff and then get it on your hands (yes, I am talking about you Mr. French Fry) while in the car. The oil will transfer to the leather. Better yet is to not eat/drink in your car at all.
  3. In today's COVID world, be cautious if you use hand sanitizer and then grip the steering wheel right after. Let the sanitizer dry fully on your hands first. The high alcohol content will dry/damage your leather over time
  4. On a regular basis, wipe down the steering wheel. By regular, I'd recommend weekly. Even a damp microfiber is better than nothing, but even better is a mild cleaner (I use diluted Optimum No Rinse)
  5. If your steering wheel is feeling greasy or looks shiny, you can use a leather cleaning product. There is no shortage of good leather cleaners, so pick a brand you know and trust. I personally like to use highly diluted (1:10) Optimum All-purpose cleaner. It easily remove oil/dirt and restore the like-new feel.
  6. If you want UV protection, you can use a product that will impart this like 303 Aerospace (too greasy for my liking) or Nextzett Cockpit Premium. However, I don't believe leather steering wheels suffer much from UV damage.
  7. If you are a fan of conditioning the leather, use whatever product you like. Just realize that leather conditioner, although great on leather seats, will make your steering wheel more slippery for a period of time. I just omit it altogether.
  8. For a really neglected/glossy steering wheel, I find that a combination of diluted Optimum all purpose cleaner plus some steam works great at pulling embedded oils out of the materials. A vigorous wipe with a microfiber should remove the gloss.
  9. I strongly recommend against any abrasive product like a melamine sponge (e.g. Mr. Clean Magic Eraser) on your steering wheel.
In my experience, there is little reason why a leather wrapped steering wheel - even 10 years old and after 150K miles - shouldn't look/feel almost like new. Leather is an incredibly resilient material and, unlike on seats, on the steering wheel you don't need to worry about creases/wrinkles (which collect more dirt and can accelerate wear once formed).

• Helpful
Reactions: joebruin77 and TEG