Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

STEK matte PPF wrap in progress - 2022 MYP

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Out here in socal, the cost varies. Prior to COVID, you could have gotten the full treatment for just about $4k. unfortunately, prices of everything have risen to about $5500 now for the full wrap and 10 year warranty. It's pricey but i am going to keep it for a while and figure it was worth the investment, esp with kids, etc. It also depends on what film you go with, i went with the STEK matte as it has a hydrophobic coating already so ceramic coating would not be needed. There are of course several other choices but the main thing is to get it through an authorized installer so you have piece of mind.
$5k worth the investment? You realize you can paint a large portion of the car for that kind of money.... Your car wont be worth any more money when you sell it with or without it. Or if your paint is 100% perfect vs having some small issues. Definitely not $5k worth. Maybe a front end wrap to protect it from rocks and large bugs but wrapping an entire car? Waste of money.

Ive seen a bunch of matte ppf cars in person and it always looks fake. Especially on a Tesla. My previous Genesis had matte paint and next to each other you can tell when something is wrapped vs real. To each their own, im just not a fan of fake matte paint. Its like caliper covers or a type R badge. I understand theres little to mod on an electric car, but spending several thousand to wrap it is so silly. Hey its not my money so you do you.

$5k worth the investment? You realize you can paint a large portion of the car for that kind of money.... Your car wont be worth any more money when you sell it with or without it. Or if your paint is 100% perfect vs having some small issues. Definitely not $5k worth. Maybe a front end wrap to protect it from rocks and large bugs but wrapping an entire car? Waste of money.

Ive seen a bunch of matte ppf cars in person and it always looks fake. Especially on a Tesla. My previous Genesis had matte paint and next to each other you can tell when something is wrapped vs real. To each their own, im just not a fan of fake matte paint. Its like caliper covers or a type R badge. I understand theres little to mod on an electric car, but spending several thousand to wrap it is so silly. Hey its not my money so you do you.
It's just wrapping with vinyl for looks. The discussion is PPF, which is paint protective film that helps vs. rock chips and other small damage. That's the only reason we're considering it. I have had my Model 3 for almost 4 years and never did any PPF and it's got a bunch of chips.

Reactions: M|S|M MYP
Got it thanks! Anything that I should be asking the installer prior to booking? Seems like seams are a big thing, and being sure that everything is tucked into the trim. Assuming they did not remove any actual panels and only the trim to tuck and then reinstalled, correct?
Correct. See how many they have done, would also ask what things are not covered under the warranty.

It's just wrapping with vinyl for looks. The discussion is PPF, which is paint protective film that helps vs. rock chips and other small damage. That's the only reason we're considering it. I have had my Model 3 for almost 4 years and never did any PPF and it's got a bunch of chips.
So how much do those chips reduce the value? Basically nothing, especially in this market. Its a poor investment imo but as I said its not my money.

So how much do those chips reduce the value? Basically nothing, especially in this market. Its a poor investment imo but as I said its not my money.
I get your point. I have a MYP on order and I'm tossing around the idea of a matte PTEK wrap. It's a lot of money but it's also a look plus protection film. Personally I hate chips and sandblasting that happens over time on the front of a car. I'm either going to do a clear gloss on the front only and leave the rest of the car stock paint or PTEK the whole thing with Matte. For me it's not just about resale but not being annoyed with chips, scratches and other issues while it's still mine.

You may not be a fan...but others are. Its not a wrap (Wraps offer little to no protection), $TSLA has made me a significant amount of $ so i am just fortunate to be in a position to do what i like :).

IMO, never having to worry about rock chips, scratches and the ease of washing my car is worth it to me, but like you said, to each their own.

P.S.: I plan on keeping my car for at least 10 years

Reactions: weathergeekdan

What exactly is fake about it? It looks like fake paint? What does fake paint look like? It amazes me how people can determine what is worthy to others. I wonder do you have Homelink, or is that a waste of money as well? What about 21-inch Turbines, or a performance model, or a color other than the free one. See how one's opinions are best kept to one's self? Unless it is your money, or a child of yours, you cannot tell someone what they should or should not do with their money.

What exactly is fake about it? It looks like fake paint? What does fake paint look like? It amazes me how people can determine what is worthy to others. I wonder do you have Homelink, or is that a waste of money as well? What about 21-inch Turbines, or a performance model, or a color other than the free one. See how one's opinions are best kept to one's self? Unless it is your money, or a child of yours, you cannot tell someone what they should or should not do with their money.
Eh, don't get too worked up about it. Everyone has their own opinions, we did PPF because we saw value in it and like the look. We spend money the way we want, i really do not care about what other people say or think about me. I am sure there's a good reason why when clicking on his username yields the following:

1649200993831.png

Eh, don't get too worked up about it. Everyone has their own opinions, we did PPF because we saw value in it and like the look. We spend money the way we want, i really do not care about what other people say or think about me.
No question and I don't get worked up...but when I have time I want people to see what they are saying.
I absolutely love my PPF and the number of compliments I have received others do too.

No question and I don't get worked up...but when I have time I want people to see what they are saying.
I absolutely love my PPF and the number of compliments I have received others do too.
I do as well....my motto is if you can afford it, do whatever makes you happy. Normally, the ones that criticize either can't afford it or just like throwing shade because they are insecure.

RE: STEK Matte or XPEL Stealth, would one lighten the color of the MSM? Has anyone compared them? Some videos from installers claim STEK keeps the car darker or closer to the original color. Any thoughts here?
Did you want to lighten the look of MSM or keep it the same as original? If you wanted to keep it the same, you can opt for the non-stealth film and it would just be a clear PPF which would not change the color of the car at all.

Reactions: Dirty Dog
RE: STEK Matte or XPEL Stealth, would one lighten the color of the MSM? Has anyone compared them? Some videos from installers claim STEK keeps the car darker or closer to the original color. Any thoughts here?
I have XPEL Stealth on my Black Y, it gives it a Satin matte look. But I am sure if you go to a dealer, they can show you the difference in color.

Did you want to lighten the look of MSM or keep it the same as original? If you wanted to keep it the same, you can opt for the non-stealth film and it would just be a clear PPF which would not change the color of the car at all.
Thank you. I'm trying to figure out what I want. I want the stealth to make it look a little different, but am not a fan of lighter gray cars. I like the color as is but have a 2018 M3LR for almost 4 years in the same color but was looking for a change.

So there are 2 options you can choose:

Clear PPF (Does not matter if its Xpel, stek or any other manufacturer) - Will be just a clear film that goes over your paint and will not change the color at all
Stealth PPF (Will change your color to a darker shade because of the 'matte' effect)

Yes, the bulk requires the installer to custom cut the edges, that is the only way to achieve the cleanest 'no seam' look.

Reactions: weathergeekdan
I'm planning on wrapping my white MYP matte/satin. I have PPF on the front of all of my cars already. So that's part of it. The other part is I just want to look a little different than every other white MY on the road. :) Oh, dark tint as well and more open wheels to make the red calipers pop. :)