Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stephen Colbert Warns Tesla Owners: Everyone Hates Us

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wouldn't say everyone hates Tesla owners. But there are a lot of people who strongly dislike different aspects of Tesla vehicles and the people who own them.

Electric vehicles are a sign of a significant shift in what has been 'normal life' for many decades. Most people don't like change. EVs are change. These people think that EVs are going to be forced onto them and they don't want that change, even if it would be better for them in all quantifiable regards. They don't want it because they think they're being forced into it. "'MURICA! You can't make me! 'MURICA STRONG!" Or something.

They also think that somehow electric vehicles are going to break the electrical grids. They're completely ignoring all the manufacturing and air-conditioning that is growing at a faster rate and consumes more electricity. But whatever.

There are also people who rant about EVs being so much heavier than gas cars, and EVs are wrecking roads. But my Model Y weighs less than 4400 pounds and a GMC Yukon weighs more than 5400 pounds. Why aren't you screaming at them? What about all the semi trucks that are ruining the highways when there's perfectly good railroad right next to it?

And some of them hate Elon Musk, for reasons, and apparently if you own a Tesla you also worship Musk. So you're an asshole by proxy.

And lastly, they're jealous because they can't afford one, and think we're rich assholes. Completely ignoring the fact they're likely driving a vehicle that cost more to purchase and more to operate. They're just uninformed of the costs of things and making emotional decisions with old information.

So THE REASON they hate us is they have created an idea of what an EV and EV owner are in their head and are operating with that information rather than collecting real information about what is actually happening in the world.

I wouldn't say everyone hates Tesla owners. But there are a lot of people who strongly dislike different aspects of Tesla vehicles and the people who own them.

Electric vehicles are a sign of a significant shift in what has been 'normal life' for many decades. Most people don't like change. EVs are change. These people think that EVs are going to be forced onto them and they don't want that change, even if it would be better for them in all quantifiable regards. They don't want it because they think they're being forced into it. "'MURICA! You can't make me! 'MURICA STRONG!" Or something.

They also think that somehow electric vehicles are going to break the electrical grids. They're completely ignoring all the manufacturing and air-conditioning that is growing at a faster rate and consumes more electricity. But whatever.

There are also people who rant about EVs being so much heavier than gas cars, and EVs are wrecking roads. But my Model Y weighs less than 4400 pounds and a GMC Yukon weighs more than 5400 pounds. Why aren't you screaming at them? What about all the semi trucks that are ruining the highways when there's perfectly good railroad right next to it?

And some of them hate Elon Musk, for reasons, and apparently if you own a Tesla you also worship Musk. So you're an asshole by proxy.

And lastly, they're jealous because they can't afford one, and think we're rich assholes. Completely ignoring the fact they're likely driving a vehicle that cost more to purchase and more to operate. They're just uninformed of the costs of things and making emotional decisions with old information.

So THE REASON they hate us is they have created an idea of what an EV and EV owner are in their head and are operating with that information rather than collecting real information about what is actually happening in the world.
You might be my new favorite person. Thank you for that cogent response!

Also: "They also think that somehow electric vehicles are going to break the electrical grids." (meanwhile... over at the cryptocurrency farm....) 😂

You missed a couple (David Letterman Style top 11)
1. Driving in the fast lane with autopilot on, OBLIVIOUS to what is going on around them. (usually same group that drives large Lexus SUV's and can't see over the steering wheel)
2. Tell everyone within earshot they are saving the world while fueling up with a coal & NG powered infrastructure.
3. Assume you are a liberal
4. Assume you actually care about what they are talking about
5. Capital costs are never recouped and you can't service the cars just anywhere- (see former Hertz CEO for details)
6. Charging infrastructure is spotty when you live in - name the remote location in your state where no one lives.
7. Taxes and insurance are insane
8. Tell you the cost to mine/refine/ship/manufacture create EV's uses more energy and pollution waste than an ICE. I don't even engage these idiots, I just look a them like I'm stoned and staring at the wall behind their empty brain.
9. That Tessy gonna burn your house down?
10. What you gonna do with all those batteries when they die man? How much that gonna cost you?
11. Does that car track and spy on you?

I can't stand Colbert/Kimmel/Fallon or any of those late night idiots, bring back Leno, Kinison, Carlin, Burns, Dice etc.

Very well said. What we're seeing is pretty typical as:

Truth Passes Through Three Stages:

• First, It Is Ridiculed.

• Second, It Is Violently Opposed.

• Third, It Is Accepted As Self-Evident

We're in Phase 1 right now crossing into Phase 2 as in some parts of the Country, there are idiots who are vandalizing EVs for all the reasons being mentioned here and more.

For the MURIKA camp, I totally get it as nothing should be forced down peoples throat. This is America and it's not how we roll so I'm with ya'll there. Don't tell me what I can and can't do, what I can and can not buy. It's your hard earned money and it's your choice to buy whatever the heck you want. Let the wallet and demand speak for itself. (Disclaimer: I know that others outside of the US can't comprehend this, but Freedom is in our DNA here in America.)

Spoiler Alert: Either way EVs are the Future and will be the Future. Just the reality, but the approach to this shift is wrong so I get it.

For the other camp, you have to realize that not everyone is okay with being forced into things. It's not in the core of our culture here to bend over backwards on demand. The mandates and emissions regulations strike a nerve that won't set well with the majority of Americans and Auto Makers. With Europes Euro 7 then china adopting it has crippled a lot of the legacy auto makers. For EV lovers that's great, but guys that's not a healthy transition into EV adoption. Imagine if the script was flipped, you'd be in their shoes too.

As someone who loves Freedom, Country, EVs and Technology (yes there are a lot of us out there with this combo) this is how I try to deal with the radicals in hopes to help them redirect their frustration to where it should really be focused.

+ Mr. Diesel Truck Dude, nice truck man, do you love it?
- Heck ya Brother I love it man. It's my everything, see them two round things hanging off the back of the trailer hitch?
+ Oh yea nice, but uh it's missing one. Anyway, do you like the gas prices?
- Heck no man, these stupid gas prices rah rah rahhhhh
+ Yea the prices are rediculous huh? Dumb policies right? We're mandated to pay these crazy prices. Who's to blame?
- Well you know them cake eaters rah rah rahhh
+ Ok, so you hate the gas prices but you still love your truck right?
- That's right Brother rahhh.

+ Why you hate EVs?
- Because of the guvamint' trying to force it on everyone.
+ Yea I get it, them stupid policies and mandates right?
- That's right! Heck with them policies. Freedom Baby.
+ Let the wallet and demand speak for itself right?
- That's fair.

Common denominator: It's a policy issue. Drivers are mandated and forced to pay the high gas prices, while the same goons are trying to force EVs down peoples throat. It's a bad combo with a common enemy for both camps. The difference is that the ones who embrace the EV adoption are too occupied enjoying the tech, while the other side is dealing with the grunt of high gas prices and policies. Double whammy, so EV guys you have to understand where they're coming from.

+ Don't hate the Tech/EVs, bash the mandate/policies. Our frustrations are more so the same, rather than being so different.
- Oh yea huh you 'is' right Brother. I get it now.

There's no reason to hate on the advancement of technology, but it becomes an issue when things are forced upon the People.

I have a lot of friends who love their trucks and are Mr. Diesel heads and I've had simliar conversations with them to help them redirect their energy. It's not the tech guys, (ie...it's not our Teslas) so quit hating on the wrong thing.

On the other hand there are a lot of Tesla owners that give us a bad name and rep so I also get that too. That's for another conversation.

Stephen Colbert Does drive a Tesla (or has said he does at any rate). A lot of people think Teslas are for the rich / elite not realizing how far down prices for Models 3 and Y have fallen.

Very true. Despite Tesla's rug pull screwing a lot of us over with 30%+ depreciation YoY, one can land a killer model 3 deal from Hertz Auto for example.

Regarding affordability, just the other day it was announced that the IONIQ 6 SE is officially the most affordable car (in general) to own in America. $239 lease deal that requires only $239 down at signing, less registration and the usual stuff. Best of all EVERYONE gets the $7500 shaved off the price at the point of sale. That's just crazy.

With today's rates that would cap one at $14K (for a used car) to be at $239 a month so yea, between a used Tesla EV and a brand new IONIQ 6 SE, the whole argument of how EVs are expensive and not affordable is demolished.

Just within my circle of people I have two friends who are taking advantage of the IONIQ 6 lease deal.

2025 is when we'll see a jump in EV adoption here in America once the mid $20K EVs start to roll out like the KIA EV4/5, Tesla Model 2 etc...

Reactions: Xenoilphobe
Very true. Despite Tesla's rug pull screwing a lot of us over with 30%+ depreciation YoY, one can land a killer model 3 deal from Hertz Auto for example.

Regarding affordability, just the other day it was announced that the IONIQ 6 SE is officially the most affordable car (in general) to own in America. $239 lease deal that requires only $239 down at signing, less registration and the usual stuff. Best of all EVERYONE gets the $7500 shaved off the price at the point of sale. That's just crazy.

With today's rates that would cap one at $14K (for a used car) to be at $239 a month so yea, between a used Tesla EV and a brand new IONIQ 6 SE, the whole argument of how EVs are expensive and not affordable is demolished.

Just within my circle of people I have two friends who are taking advantage of the IONIQ 6 lease deal.

2025 is when we'll see a jump in EV adoption here in America once the mid $20K EVs start to roll out like the KIA EV4/5, Tesla Model 2 etc...
Hatchback Model 2 is what I want…but it’s not anytime soon.

That is a hell of a deal.... Build Your Own Hyundai | Hyundai USA. I would get one for my son, but where do you charge it?

At a Tesla SC w/ a CCS to NACS Adapter.

Current owners of HMG (Hyundai Motor Group) EVs with CCS may receive a free adapter like Ford Lightning/Mach-e owners are now.

HMG will be the first to have the NACS port on their EVs come Q4 of this year (if all goes as planned). This is huge and is literally game changing.

There are a lot of Y and likely X owners on the sidelines for the KIA EV9 to ship with a NACS port, who want a proper SUV. We're one of them.

Even now with the CCS port, it's not the end of the world having to use an adapter, but we just prefer the NACS to be native.

A fully loaded EV9 GT can be had for just $57K from certain dealers, which is insane. Of course, if leased everyone gets the $7500 off the top at the point of sale.

The KIA EV9 recently Won World Car and World EV of the Year. For what it's worth, but if you look at the panel, it consists of a lot of judges from all over the world. Considering the current EV offerings, in my opinion it's well deserved.

About the IONIQ 6 lease deal, it's too good to pass up.

• Informative
There's road hate/rage caught by sentry mode on "wham bam teslacam" every week so it's only going to get more common.
When it makes national news that a violent person is on trial because sentry mode shows a hate crime then it will escalate further.

Yeah, no truck ever gets stuck in sand.

And his crowd hates Elon.

He mouthed “I’m one of them” but I “think” he meant he owns one. I know he used to. And if he still does, that’s surprising for as much as he bashes Elon.

At a Tesla SC w/ a CCS to NACS Adapter.

Current owners of HMG (Hyundai Motor Group) EVs with CCS may receive a free adapter like Ford Lightning/Mach-e owners are now.

HMG will be the first to have the NACS port on their EVs come Q4 of this year (if all goes as planned). This is huge and is literally game changing.

There are a lot of Y and likely X owners on the sidelines for the KIA EV9 to ship with a NACS port, who want a proper SUV. We're one of them.

Even now with the CCS port, it's not the end of the world having to use an adapter, but we just prefer the NACS to be native.

A fully loaded EV9 GT can be had for just $57K from certain dealers, which is insane. Of course, if leased everyone gets the $7500 off the top at the point of sale.

The KIA EV9 recently Won World Car and World EV of the Year. For what it's worth, but if you look at the panel, it consists of a lot of judges from all over the world. Considering the current EV offerings, in my opinion it's well deserved.

About the IONIQ 6 lease deal, it's too good to pass up.
Went online yesterday to get one of these for my son and its a bait and switch... They don't have any in stock near me and they called me and tried to upsell me to a SEL or LIMITED for like $540ish a month and $3400 down. So the $249 down and $249 a month is like the $39K Cybertruck... rarer than a Jackalope. The lady told me they will be closed for Easter Sunday, but she would give me a call on Monday if she finds one.

I really want the new Genesis GV90 when it comes out, that should be a proper SUV. I had the first year Genesis V8 Limited Sedan and I remember I got the same deal $249 down and $249 a month for 24 months... sold it to CARFAX at end of lease and they gave a check for like $3500... it was the only time I ever came out of a lease with cash in hand. I think the GV90 is going to be on the same platform as the EV9 / Ioniq 7 SUV, just blinged out with some other options.

Thanks for the info on CSS to NACS... didnt realize those were already out..actually now that I think about it my new Universal Wall Connector has that adapter included in the side of it. I really wish the Hyundai had the native NACS too... hopefully soon... maybe I should wait until that happens.

1711891217686.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Elektrick
Thanks for the info on CSS to NACS... didnt realize those were already out..actually now that I think about it my new Universal Wall Connector has that adapter included in the side of it. I really wish the Hyundai had the native NACS too... hopefully soon... maybe I should wait until that happens.
The new universal connector (which I have; I use it w/my eGolf) has NACS to J1772 adapter but that’s not the same as NACS to CCS, right? CCS has the additional interface for direct DC charging that is absent from the J1772 (I think).

• Informative
It's ironic that he posed as a Conservative during his Colbert Report days and now is openly progressive. Now he makes millions roasting the Rump every night who gave large campaign sums to the left before posing as a progressive conservative.

Yeah, no truck ever gets stuck in sand.

And his crowd hates Elon.

He mouthed “I’m one of them” but I “think” he meant he owns one. I know he used to. And if he still does, that’s surprising for as much as he bashes Elon.
He may have written that line but it could have come from the any of the large staff of writers. If they agreed that it could get a laugh then he has no problem being the butt of a joke.
He even explained his ear deformity on the show, most stars would have that fixed.

Went online yesterday to get one of these for my son and its a bait and switch... They don't have any in stock near me and they called me and tried to upsell me to a SEL or LIMITED for like $540ish a month and $3400 down. So the $249 down and $249 a month is like the $39K Cybertruck... rarer than a Jackalope. The lady told me they will be closed for Easter Sunday, but she would give me a call on Monday if she finds one.

I really want the new Genesis GV90 when it comes out, that should be a proper SUV. I had the first year Genesis V8 Limited Sedan and I remember I got the same deal $249 down and $249 a month for 24 months... sold it to CARFAX at end of lease and they gave a check for like $3500... it was the only time I ever came out of a lease with cash in hand. I think the GV90 is going to be on the same platform as the EV9 / Ioniq 7 SUV, just blinged out with some other options.

View attachment 1033854

Yea the same thing happened to one of our friends. The dealers are just a bunch of scums. He just went to another dealer that had a few SE models in stock and got the deal. It's one reason I'm all for these bottom feeder scumbag dealers to get annihilated. They all need to switch to an online model like Tesla.

It's worth even going out of State to pick one up if you can find a semi decent dealer who will honor the deal as it's written.

The GV90 is a beast and I think it'll be the first HMG EV to be on the newer platform. (Not the current E-GMP.) I used to own a G80 and it was fantastic and really miss that car. I've driven the GV70 and in my opinion it's honestly one of, if not the best, small SUV in the segment ICE or EV. The G70 is great as well for its category. These cars are really underrated, but I think people are starting to wake up, while journalists are finally getting over their fear to admit how solid these cars really are.

As mentioned HMG will be the first to have NACS standard on all their EVs come Q4 ahead of other legacy auto makers. We've got our eyes on the new EV9 and waiting to see how the IONIQ 7 (now renamed IONIQ 9 I think) is before we jump to a proper EV SUV. The Y right now isn't cutting it. Great storage for random stuff, but it's far far farrrr from being a real family car. It's just a 3 that ate an extra Big Mac in reality, despite the overrated shared conseus, largly dictated by the influence of auto reviewers.

In short, it's exciting to see some real EV SUVs entering the market. Exciting times.

• Informative