Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stereo Comes Back on By Itself

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone else have this issue?
I turn off the stereo and leave the car. Every time I get back in, or even walk by the car, the stereo starts up again with whatever the last thing playing was. Incredibly annoying. If I'm listening to an audiobook, it starts up even if I'm just walking in the garage, (then have to find my place again).

This didn't used to happen. I've discussed it with the service center 3 times. They are aware of it and have basically indicated that it's known about and not a priority.

Is there a fix?
Thanks!

• Helpful
Reactions: gowthamn
There are lots of threads about this. It is extremely annoying as mentioned. I try and change the input from my phone to streaming or usb before exiting the car so it doesn't mess up my page in the audio book. When it does get screwed up, I usually just rewind a minute or so and am pretty close to where I was in the book. I mainly use the Kindle app with narration for my audio books, and there you can just swipe back a page and are generally good to go.

• Informative
Reactions: David99
Does anyone else have this issue?
I turn off the stereo and leave the car. Every time I get back in, or even walk by the car, the stereo starts up again with whatever the last thing playing was. Incredibly annoying. If I'm listening to an audiobook, it starts up even if I'm just walking in the garage, (then have to find my place again).

This didn't used to happen. I've discussed it with the service center 3 times. They are aware of it and have basically indicated that it's known about and not a priority.

Is there a fix?
Thanks!
There is no way to "turn off the stereo". You can pause the play, and it starts again. I'm really perplexed, with all the efforts Tesla does to try to minimize gratuitous use of the Cell Data, that they don't do the opposite -- have it stop streaming play until someone re-starts it. My solution is to turn down the volume rather than pause the play, so essentially it is always streaming music, even when I'm not listening.

You all have to realize that the software which controls the stereo's behavior is so complex that it cannot be understood by humans, with very few exceptions. Unfortunately, she was lured away to Mercedes several years ago, for what I understand to have been a prince(ss)ly sum.

I've recently heard that there is a very promising young man, currently 13, growing up in Nepal. Should he fulfill his promise and then be called to take a post in Tesla's engineering department, they might be able to propitiate this venerable bug. There are also rumors that he possibly could take a stab at playlists! :)

MP3 tag sorts will have to wait for the Singularity though. :(

Tesla messed up the media player. It worked fine in the beginning, now it starts on it's own when you open the door as you said, it constantly gives me a loading error after a few songs, it always starts playing from the beginning of the song rather than where it left of like it used to be.