Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stereo Upgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Trying to fully understand what you're asking here, but there are many different things that you can do overall to improve the sound. For the intense audiophile, an aftermarket amplifier, speakers and sub(s) would be the way to go. My system consists of a 5 channel amp sending power to my aftermarket door speakers, and one channel sending power to my sub in a ported box. I have the clarity followed by the thump from the subwoofer, which is exactly what I was going for. I can blast it for hours at a time and haven't had to worry about drainage or dimming lights at all. Hope this helps.

I feel inspired to share my experience with Reus Systems. I bought a used Tesla Model S 70D in February (2018) and absolutely love the car, possibly more than I have any other car in 30+ years of driving. However!... For a car that originally sold for $92,000, the stereo system COMPLETELY lacks any bass or fullness whatsoever! I was actually quite shocked at how underwhelming the stereo system was. I used to put way too much money into my stereo systems and listened to a lot of obnoxious bassy music in my earlier days throughout the 90s. In the last 10 years or so, I’ve started listening to a lot more talk radio and when I listen to music, it was certainly less bassy because I haven’t had a stereo that sounded all that great. I actually never thought about why the music I would listen to while driving had changed until upgraded my Tesla stereo about 2 months ago.

When I first got the car and noticed that the stereo was lacking, I started to look around for upgrade options. Obviously, you can’t switch out the stereo itself since it’s integrated into the Tesla’s computer, so I looked around for speaker upgrade options. From checking the Tesla forums, I noticed that they were 2 manufactures of drop-in equipment, Light Harmonix and NVX. Both of these appeared to make products that you buy, have shipped to you and install. The other name that I saw a pop-up was Reus. However, there wasn’t much information on a specific product that they install, but more so information on how they upgrade your stereo by adding their sub woofer with an enclosure, replacing some of the stock speakers, possibly adding others, etc.

I also decided to look on Yelp.com and check to see if there was any shops around my area, Orange County, CA, that have done multiple Tesla upgrades. As luck would have it, I came across Reus again and found out that they are only a few minutes from my office in Orange, CA. The reviews were definitely good on yelp, but there were only a few. So I drove over to their office to talk options and met Cliff, the shop manager. After finding out more about what they offered and looking at all of the reviews on the Tesla forums, I decided that I wanted to go with their package over the other manufacturers that made a prefab option, partially because I have no idea how to install the equipment. I dropped off the car, told them what I wanted and picked up the car a few hours later and Oh My God! I was absolutely 1000% shocked by the amount of bass their single 10” sub produced! Yes, the general sound of the stereo also improved no matter what type of music I was listening to, but within a day or two I found myself constantly searching for old-school hip-hop, rap and R&B, the stuff I used to listen to in my 88 CRX Si with twin 12 inch subs and two obnoxiously large amps.

Since I picked up the car from them about two months ago, I have completely changed what I listen to on a daily basis when I’m in the car, for the first time in probably 10 years. I am now that 47-year-old guy with the big gray beard thumping all sorts of EDM music way louder than I should be. I did listen to a friends tesla that was upgraded with the NVX subwoofer and it sounded good, just not as good as good as my car, in my opinion. I also have 2 friends that both have a Model S and both were floored how much better my car sounds than theirs. For as much as these cars are sold for, they really should have a much better stereo system. However, they don’t. I am super happy with what Reus did to my car and yes, I would recommend it to any Tesla owner.

• Informative
Reactions: davidc18
Unless Light Harmonic changes their business practices, avoid like the plague. My LH amplifier failed last November and I immediately sent it in for repair. Since then..... crickets. They do not respond to email, website, phone calls, smoke signals, carrier pigeons, etc.

When the amp worked, it was a terrific upgrade over premium sound. Their speakers are a decent improvement over the premium sound drivers but it is (was) the amp that really makes a huge improvement. From what I understand, many other Tesla owners are in the same boat with these guys.

Caveat emptor!

Reus. Accept no substitutes. Their upgrades add value to either the base or the premium audio package.

Don’t forget to invest in a proper SSD or USB stick and as many FLAC or similar files as you can think of. You won’t want to listen to anything else.

Excellent service up front and after the initial sale. Consummate professionals who know how to get the job done right. That’s Reus.

Also, Cliff will come to you and/or to your local/regional owners club. If there are several owners interested that are someplace far from CA, splitting the travel costs is the way to go for that. That said, Orange, CA is quite near Disneyland. Come and make a long weekend out of the experience. There are worse places to be than SoCal in the summer.

Finally, the first system you buy from Reus can be your last - they will move the system from your current car to your next car for just the cost of labor. So there’s that. Which is nice.

Reus. Accept no substitutes. Their upgrades add value to either the base or the premium audio package.

Don’t forget to invest in a proper SSD or USB stick and as many FLAC or similar files as you can think of. You won’t want to listen to anything else.

Excellent service up front and after the initial sale. Consummate professionals who know how to get the job done right. That’s Reus.

Also, Cliff will come to you and/or to your local/regional owners club. If there are several owners interested that are someplace far from CA, splitting the travel costs is the way to go for that. That said, Orange, CA is quite near Disneyland. Come and make a long weekend out of the experience. There are worse places to be than SoCal in the summer.

Finally, the first system you buy from Reus can be your last - they will move the system from your current car to your next car for just the cost of labor. So there’s that. Which is nice.

You brought up a good point about Reus that I forgot. Although they only had a few yelp great news, one thing that I thought was pretty impressive is that one of the reviewer‘s said that they had a problem with a component after like two years and Reus just took care of it, no questions asked. That’s pretty impressive.

I also remember Cliff saying something about if I sold the car they would pull out the equipment, put my Tesla back to stock, and then put the equipment in a new car. Completely forgot about that too. Hands-down, what they do it’s pretty impressive and sounds fantastic! Well worth it.

I feel inspired to share my experience with Reus Systems. I bought a used Tesla Model S 70D in February (2018) and absolutely love the car, possibly more than I have any other car in 30+ years of driving. However!... For a car that originally sold for $92,000, the stereo system COMPLETELY lacks any bass or fullness whatsoever! I was actually quite shocked at how underwhelming the stereo system was. I used to put way too much money into my stereo systems and listened to a lot of obnoxious bassy music in my earlier days throughout the 90s. In the last 10 years or so, I’ve started listening to a lot more talk radio and when I listen to music, it was certainly less bassy because I haven’t had a stereo that sounded all that great. I actually never thought about why the music I would listen to while driving had changed until upgraded my Tesla stereo about 2 months ago.

When I first got the car and noticed that the stereo was lacking, I started to look around for upgrade options. Obviously, you can’t switch out the stereo itself since it’s integrated into the Tesla’s computer, so I looked around for speaker upgrade options. From checking the Tesla forums, I noticed that they were 2 manufactures of drop-in equipment, Light Harmonix and NVX. Both of these appeared to make products that you buy, have shipped to you and install. The other name that I saw a pop-up was Reus. However, there wasn’t much information on a specific product that they install, but more so information on how they upgrade your stereo by adding their sub woofer with an enclosure, replacing some of the stock speakers, possibly adding others, etc.

I also decided to look on Yelp.com and check to see if there was any shops around my area, Orange County, CA, that have done multiple Tesla upgrades. As luck would have it, I came across Reus again and found out that they are only a few minutes from my office in Orange, CA. The reviews were definitely good on yelp, but there were only a few. So I drove over to their office to talk options and met Cliff, the shop manager. After finding out more about what they offered and looking at all of the reviews on the Tesla forums, I decided that I wanted to go with their package over the other manufacturers that made a prefab option, partially because I have no idea how to install the equipment. I dropped off the car, told them what I wanted and picked up the car a few hours later and Oh My God! I was absolutely 1000% shocked by the amount of bass their single 10” sub produced! Yes, the general sound of the stereo also improved no matter what type of music I was listening to, but within a day or two I found myself constantly searching for old-school hip-hop, rap and R&B, the stuff I used to listen to in my 88 CRX Si with twin 12 inch subs and two obnoxiously large amps.

Since I picked up the car from them about two months ago, I have completely changed what I listen to on a daily basis when I’m in the car, for the first time in probably 10 years. I am now that 47-year-old guy with the big gray beard thumping all sorts of EDM music way louder than I should be. I did listen to a friends tesla that was upgraded with the NVX subwoofer and it sounded good, just not as good as good as my car, in my opinion. I also have 2 friends that both have a Model S and both were floored how much better my car sounds than theirs. For as much as these cars are sold for, they really should have a much better stereo system. However, they don’t. I am super happy with what Reus did to my car and yes, I would recommend it to any Tesla owner.

What did they (Reus) exactly upgraded in your car? Which speakers? Did they added amps and a DSP?