Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Still no 8.0!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Version 8.0 is following the pattern of previous major releases.

The release gets distributed in batches following a seemingly random order.

Tesla encounters one or more serious problems and stops distributing updates for days or weeks (without any announcement).

And when they fix the problems, they start the process over.

This means that some owners may end up waiting several months before they finally get a new release - while other owners will have seen several updates over that same period.

Tesla really should be more open about this and provide more information on the status of new software releases, and what's in each release.

Patience... Eventually everyone will get 8.0 - and by the time it's been fully distributed, the major problems with the release will likely have been fixed.

Reactions: Boatguy
Since the USB search function via voice command is apparently now included, I got antsy to try out V8.
I emailed my Service Representative and asked him, why I haven't received the update yet and if he could contact Tesla to push the update to my car. 10 minutes later he called me and told me that the update was already staged to my car and he contacted Tesla to look into it. While on the phone with him, I received the update notification on my phone. Huge improvements!!!
See my latest post in the firmware 8.0 thread:

Firmware 8.0

Patience... Eventually everyone will get 8.0 - and by the time it's been fully distributed, the major problems with the release will likely have been fixed.
Yes, the major problems will be fixed and then we'll be scratching our heads and asking what the benefits were of v8. My experience is that the media player regressed, UI/UX was degraded, TACC is slightly improved and auto-steer is worse.

And since AP 2.0 dumped the "radar first" idea and added a bunch of cameras, on balance, v8 is all heat, no light. I've learned my lesson and will no longer install any major updates until it's clear they add some benefit.

FINALLY GOT MINE! LOVE IT! Have no idea why so many people have complained about this release. I LOVE The ability to actually use my TuneIn paid account, and the UI is a lot cleaner IMHO.

I agree - while I don't discount others' complaints, for my use, it's a noticeable improvement. AP is smoother, the media player/radio are improved (again, for my use, which doesn't include USB), and the top-placement of the map/camera apps makes sense.

The only thing I don't really like is the auto-hiding of the top nav-bar.

I finally got it. I noticed that my wifi signal was only at two bars where I park the car at home, so I moved an old airport router that I wasn't using to the garage and wirelessly connected it to my primary router. That upped the signal to the car to full strength. 8.0 downloaded within the week.