Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Still stuck on 2019.5.15

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was stuck on 2018.50.6 in my P3D for several months. My wife's 3LR had gotten 2019.5.15 several weeks ago but nothing for the P3D.

I just got 2019.8.4 on the P3D on Monday, so now we're waiting on the 3LR to get something else.

I really think that because of the fleet size (large) and the frequency of updates (often), we may be starting to see that each individual vehicle doesn't get every update.

I do not see how being more transparent and forthcoming on how Tesla rolls out their update's would hurt anyone.

We know that it is a gradual rollout to avoid everyone getting a bad update all at once.

We know their servers cannot handle a fleet update all at once.?

We know there are priority favorites from referrals and also beta testers.

If you do not freely give your driving data to Tesla are you de-prioritized or put on bottom of list?

Reactions: M109Rider
My latest version is 5.15. 10 days ago I got a notification from my app that there was a version update waiting, probably 8.2 or 8.3. I delayed activating the firmware update for a couple of days. By the time I tried to do so, the firmware update had disappeared. So I am still at 5.15. Either the update had an non-disclosed expiration time limit, or possibly it was superseded by a subsequent version without keeping my position in the firmware queue. The moral of the story is if you get a firmware update notification, do not delay activating it.

What is also not clear is for those of us behind are we just going to be bumped to the latest version or will we need all the in-between updates we’ve missed? It seems like there’s been 2-3 updates already.

In the past I’ve felt like I was getting the latest updates in line with posts in this forum. So a little lost on what the deal is now. Transparency of some sort from TSLA would be helpful.

My latest version is 5.15. 10 days ago I got a notification from my app that there was a version update waiting, probably 8.2 or 8.3. I delayed activating the firmware update for a couple of days. By the time I tried to do so, the firmware update had disappeared. So I am still at 5.15. Either the update had an non-disclosed expiration time limit, or possibly it was superseded by a subsequent version without keeping my position in the firmware queue. The moral of the story is if you get a firmware update notification, do not delay activating it.

Tesla does pull releases when it finds an issue with them. So it's not always a good thing to be on the latest firmware. Lots of people reporting weirdness with 8.3.

What is also not clear is for those of us behind are we just going to be bumped to the latest version or will we need all the in-between updates we’ve missed? It seems like there’s been 2-3 updates already.

In the past I’ve felt like I was getting the latest updates in line with posts in this forum. So a little lost on what the deal is now. Transparency of some sort from TSLA would be helpful.

No, you do not need all the in-between releases. The firmware releases are not patches. They are full firmware packages.

Tesla does pull releases when it finds an issue with them. So it's not always a good thing to be on the latest firmware. Lots of people reporting weirdness with 8.3.

No, you do not need all the in-between releases. The firmware releases are not patches. They are full firmware packages.

Im on 8.3, and having a few issues that I have never had before (as an example). I have an iPhone 8 with the latest version of iOS, and since 8.3 I am having some issues with "phone as key". Of note, I have had zero (and I mean zero) issues with phone as key before this, same phone, same process, same parking spaces.

I also have had a couple of times where my screen just got "garbled" like happens when you have corrupt signal feed from a monitor... flickering, strange characters etc. In each case a reboot fixed it, and in both cases I was driving when it happened. One time was out of the blue, the other one was when I was rapidly pushing the 15 second skip button on the tune in podcast I was listening to.

So, 8.3 is somewhat buggy for me in relation to 5.X

I’m on 5.14 and have yet to receive an update since taking delivery of the car. Our other M3 is on 8.3. Both cars parked in the same garage, connected to the same Wifi, same model and trim level. I’ve tried rebooting and reconnecting the wifi connection...nothing seems to be triggering the update.

Question:
When you buy a new M3, do they update to the latest version at the Dealer when you pick up the car? Or are you stuck with whatever version was installed at manufacture, and you have to wait for update like everyone else?

I believe you have to wait like everyone else.. at least from what I experienced and what I read here. When you take delivery, it seems to be whatever is on the car. I believe the delivery team might be ABLE to push the updates, but likely doesnt depending on the time they have / how many deliveries, etc.

When I took delivery in december of 18, I had to wait, and I specifically asked if they could push the new update to the car, and was told "just connect to wifi and you will get any needed updates".. I didnt push it, and I did get whatever was the current update within a week after getting home.

@OCR1

Its my belief that they simply add your car to the list of cars needing updates when you buy it, and its "somewhat" in purchase order, unless you are an exception for some reason. I have no idea how they do it exactly but it feels like they would have different user groups in a structure somewhat like Microsoft Active Directory or something, and unless you get put into a specific user group (Early access, FSD purchaser, etc) that you would just go in the general OU.. and have to wait. The model 3 you have thats on 8.3 is the one you bought " a while ago" right?

Reactions: Mdoss
@OCR1

Its my belief that they simply add your car to the list of cars needing updates when you buy it, and its "somewhat" in purchase order, unless you are an exception for some reason. I have no idea how they do it exactly but it feels like they would have different user groups in a structure somewhat like Microsoft Active Directory or something, and unless you get put into a specific user group (Early access, FSD purchaser, etc) that you would just go in the general OU.. and have to wait. The model 3 you have thats on 8.3 is the one you bought " a while ago" right?

Our first M3 was purchased end of December 2018 and began receiving updates within a few days after taking delivery. It has been updated three times now. It does have EAP/FSD where the second one, purchased in March 2019 does not have AP or FSD. It’s possible that has something to do with it. But when I bought my car it was advertised as having 325 miles in range, and it was delivered with 5.14, which does not have the updated range or power in it. They told me it was up to date but it really should have come delivered with 5.15.

I’m still on 5.15 but got a software update notification almost two weeks ago and the software update I received will not upload. Called Tesla’s helpline and told me to try again over the next week and if I don’t get a new update to contact them again. I emailed them and haven’t heard back yet...I’ll probably swing by the Service center to see if they can upload software for me there.