Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software updates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi. I have read about this new big update. Does anyone know from history or reading this if the older car models will get any updates. It seems only cars after 2022 will get the update. Does this mean the older models are now left behind?

"Tesla reveals big update with new UI, auto shift, Audible, new Spotify, and more | Electrek"

Tesla update

Older cars will still get software updates including some new features as older model S/X do today, just not all of them.

It appears the new UI can’t/wont run on the Intel Atom processor found in early model 3/Y which is why they don’t get it. So older cars will still probably get most new features but might miss out on some that rely on the new UI and that’ll be in the release notes for any new version, similar to how some features are already unique to a certain model.

• Disagree
Reactions: yessuz and Roger20
Nothing in there for me
1713438376366435494774595650999.jpg

The UI update might be Ryzen only but I’d hope the speed camera alert and average speed zones would still be in any car that has the speed cameras. I can’t remember the other changes but they might too, deleting sentry mode clips from the app, diversion notifications etc?

There was a fairly significant sticking point for older MS and MX cars that were on MCU1 and didn’t get much of an update for a while but if I had to guess that was about 4 years after new cars moved to MCU2. Ryzen has been around about 2 years now so it’s a bit quick to thbknkt wont get anything. And while the visuals are pretty, the functional substance is in other changes.

I'd be pretty pissed if I'd bought an early 2022 "legacy" Model 3, not going to lie.

Whilst this might not mean that pre-Ryzen cars are never going to get UI updates, it does set a precedent.
This is definitely a new problem for cars, which didn't exist before Tesla. There's always going to be FOMO if the base model of a vehicle is updated over time with new internal technology hardware. There will come a time that some updates to the newest models just can't physically work on the older hardware. Personally, I think it's a better long-term solution than a complete facelift with all new hardware throughout. It likely will extend the lifetime of all cars in the long run. Perhaps they will even go so far as to have upgradeable hardware modules for faster processors etc in the future.

In the past, newer "model year" versions of legacy marques had all the physical updates and changes released at once & they stayed that way for the lifetime of the car. Even now, in refreshed models of the VW ID range (for example), there's a delineation between old and new versions.

You can't have it both ways; either someone buys a car they know will remain pretty much as-is for the time they own it, or something like a Tesla that will get updates until a certain point of advancement, then will fall back to bug fixes and minor tweaks. I don't know of any other cars with the same update model, but I don't keep up with others at the moment. I certainly prefer the Tesla approach (some are even saying wipers work now, with the latest FSD update!).

Reactions: KennethS
I'm a gadget kind of guy, hence the reason I bought a Tesla.... There is a certain level of excitement that comes with a new software update whether it's your mobile phone or other technology. I was hoping Tesla would continue to give good updates long into the future, more than just bug fixes. I do also understand hardware supercedes software at some point. On the wipers, in auto, mine still have a mind of there own.... Fingers crossed, a good update will come for the older cars someone soon.

This is definitely a new problem for cars, which didn't exist before Tesla. There's always going to be FOMO if the base model of a vehicle is updated over time with new internal technology hardware.
I would have to disagree, I had a brand new 2 Series BMW back in March 2016, in 2017 they upgraded the iDrive system to the next iteration and after that point I could not get any of the new features. It was one of the (many) reasons I ended up getting rid of it.

It will likely be exacerbated by OTA updates as it sets a precedent that everyone always wants the latest and greatest, but much like smartphone, you cannot factor for every version of every hardware that you have out in the wild as it increases the development overheads.

Reactions: Skie
I'd be pretty pissed if I'd bought an early 2022 "legacy" Model 3, not going to lie.

Whilst this might not mean that pre-Ryzen cars are never going to get UI updates, it does set a precedent.
more or less pissed than the countless VAG / Merc et al owners who are not only not getting updates but are having various features of their vehicles stop working - live traffice / apps / remote features all because 2G / 3G are no longer supported. This isnt a Tesla issue its a technology issue. Not getting the latest look and feel is not as bad as having stuff that was there just stop.

Then you get the extra comedy of them being totally useless at telling anyone... Merc have pulled the In Car Office integrations from W205 C class dut to 2G/3G switch off.. Cars sold through to 2023, cars that had a facelift in 2019 to include 4G connectivity. It makes Tesla look radiant...

This is definitely a new problem for cars, which didn't exist before Tesla. There's always going to be FOMO if the base model of a vehicle is updated over time with new internal technology hardware. There will come a time that some updates to the newest models just can't physically work on the older hardware. Personally, I think it's a better long-term solution than a complete facelift with all new hardware throughout. It likely will extend the lifetime of all cars in the long run. Perhaps they will even go so far as to have upgradeable hardware modules for faster processors etc in the future.

In the past, newer "model year" versions of legacy marques had all the physical updates and changes released at once & they stayed that way for the lifetime of the car. Even now, in refreshed models of the VW ID range (for example), there's a delineation between old and new versions.

You can't have it both ways; either someone buys a car they know will remain pretty much as-is for the time they own it, or something like a Tesla that will get updates until a certain point of advancement, then will fall back to bug fixes and minor tweaks. I don't know of any other cars with the same update model, but I don't keep up with others at the moment. I certainly prefer the Tesla approach (some are even saying wipers work now, with the latest FSD update!).
I agree with you, to a point.

I was in a service centre recently at they had three distinct advertisements with a "Better over time" slogan, promoting the fact that Teslas are improved OTA. Clearly Tesla see it as a key differientiator, and accordingly customers do too. I'd argue that's different to other marques where software updates are not sold as a USP. In those cases any kind of retrofit is a bonus.

With that in mind the question then becomes what is a reasonable expectation of updates lifetime before the car is deemed "legacy" for the purposes of a signficant feature (in this case major UX upgrades)? I'd suggest using the model of phones, laptops, etc that 2 years is not long enough, especially not when you consider that cars are probably the second most expensive thing most people will ever buy. My M3P is old enough that I was a good 2 years away from Ryzen being launched, so I don't feel aggreived - only saddened, but if I had bought a 2022 Model 3 that came with Atom I would be pretty cheesed off now.

Tesla would put peoples minds at ease if they offered a MCU3 (Ryzen) retrofit option. This doesn't seem likely though when they are laser focused on building and selling new cars. I've read one account recently of someone who has been waiting for a rear bumper for a Y for a few months, when they could surely have bought a whole brand new car quicker.

I agree with you, to a point.

I was in a service centre recently at they had three distinct advertisements touting "Better over time", promoiting the fact that Teslas are improved OTA. Clearly Tesla see it as a key differientiator, and accordingly for customers.

With that in mind the question then becomes what is a reasonable expectation of updates lifetime before the car is deemed "legacy" for the purposes of a signficant feature (in this case major UX upgrades)? I'd suggest using the model of phones, laptops, etc that 2 years is not long enough, especially not when you consider that cars are probably the second most expensive thing most people will ever buy.

Tesla would put peoples minds at ease if they offered a MCU3 (Ryzen) retrofit option. This doesn't seem likely though when they are laser focused on building and selling new cars. I've read one account recently of someone who has been waiting for a rear bumper for a Y for a few months, when they could surely have bought a whole brand new car quicker.
I think @GeorgeSymonds point in the thread is on the money, personally. If the actual features are still delivered, does a new look and feel really matter?

When your tap springs a leak, what matters more - stopping the leak, or having a shiny new tap?

Just my two pennies worth.

Reactions: KennethS and Durzel
Well we don't know what this "v12" update is going to bring yet, so we don't know to what extent it adds new stuff that Atom cars just won't get.

Being pedantic, one of the touted features we already know about is "Large playback controls and quick access to Recents, Favorites, and Up Next in the media player". So Atom cars won't get quick access to recents, favourites, up next - that will be completely absent. I'd like to know what is coming up in my playlist, but I can't.

That's not the end of the world of course, but it's symbollic of a divergent UX strategy. Ryzen will get the shiny stuff, Atom will likely get very minor UX tweaks moving forwards.

When I bought my latest Pixel 7a second hand I was very pleased to see it came with 5 years of updates.

Now I sit with a car that I also bought second hand, it's had updates of various significance and it's coming up to 4 years old. Perhaps I should be pleased for any kind of support, I'd just have hoped for better update longevity like the poster in the salesroom promised, particularly when I'm spending tens of thousands rather than a few hundred.

I also think this is new territory, my car gets updates more often than my phone. I couldn't have even understood or believed that years ago. Perhaps we are paying the vanguard cost.

I think my main relatively uninformed point is that I wish they'd used a Chromebook approach which relied on very low processing power and focused on long term updates that improved usability. Does my car really need a spicier processor to show a big car on my screen? Couldn't they have just made an update everyone could use?

My concern as others echo here is that it smells a bit of planned obsolescence through over focus on the new and next thing.

If Xiaomi or others can promise 3/4/X years of updates that may become the new sell in the same way Kia do 7 year warranties which is a huge draw for initial purchase and second hand market.

Older cars will still get software updates including some new features as older model S/X do today, just not all of them.

It appears the new UI can’t/wont run on the Intel Atom processor found in early model 3/Y which is why they don’t get it. So older cars will still probably get most new features but might miss out on some that rely on the new UI and that’ll be in the release notes for any new version, similar to how some features are already unique to a certain model.
that bolded part is absolute BS. it is not some graphically intensive application. come on, man

Reactions: Pink Duck
that bolded part is absolute BS. it is not some graphically intensive application. come on, man
It really isn’t.
It’s already been observed that the FSD visualisations are laggy on the older Atom chip, mostly down to its underpowered GPU.
With the changes to sentry mode etc the fact the Atom lacks acceleration for h.265 decoding is also likely a reason for creating a fork between versions