Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stock breakpads, anyone had to replace yet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Check out Safe Jacks for lifting your Tesla. I have a set for my other car and they work well. Both of my cars use the same pads. Log onto their website and put them in your cart but don't buy them. The next day you'll get an email for a 10% discount. ;)

The RennStand by Safe Jack
Done. I was going to wait until the spring when I plan to pick up a set of lightweight/performance tires and wheels but not having a way to get under the car is already annoying me.

Reactions: Carrera
I'm not a big car guy. Does anyone have a recommendation for after market breakpads that are more performance oriented for the 18 inch wheels? Is there a ceramic pad that is recommended?

Are there different sets that work with the model 3 that aren't model 3 specific? The reason I'm asking is because model 3 specific after market upgrades currently have a huge markup compared to even Model S and X after market parts. Alot of times they go out of stock pretty fast.

You're looking for cheap pads, which is an awful idea BTW, but you're also looking for ceramic pads? If you're not a "car guy", don't just pick up random parts because you've heard people talking about them. Ceramic pads are extremely noisy in street conditions and they will chew the *sugar* out of your rotors. Plus they're usually more expensive.

Complaining about markup on pads for the Model 3 is a bit funny, too. You've bought an expensive car, the replacement parts are going to be expensive too. If you want upgraded parts, they'll be even more expensive.

brake pads, aftermarket, a lot.

You're looking for cheap pads, which is an awful idea BTW, but you're also looking for ceramic pads? If you're not a "car guy", don't just pick up random parts because you've heard people talking about them. Ceramic pads are extremely noisy in street conditions and they will chew the *sugar* out of your rotors. Plus they're usually more expensive.

Complaining about markup on pads for the Model 3 is a bit funny, too. You've bought an expensive car, the replacement parts are going to be expensive too. If you want upgraded parts, they'll be even more expensive.

brake pads, aftermarket, a lot.

I'm looking for a product that doesn't have a high markup. It's not like I'm looking to replace a door, no other car maker's doors will fit on the Model 3. I'm looking to replace the brake pads and was wondering if anyone had found parts that weren't Model 3 specific which worked. It's like finding generic after market tires for the model 3 instead of the MXM4 tires. Make sense?

I'm looking for a product that doesn't have a high markup. It's not like I'm looking to replace a door, no other car maker's doors will fit on the Model 3. I'm looking to replace the brake pads and was wondering if anyone had found parts that weren't Model 3 specific which worked. It's like finding generic after market tires for the model 3 instead of the MXM4 tires. Make sense?

I don't really see a huge mark-up to be honest, you pay more for performance brake pads in general. I see that you can get Model S pads from Hawk for $125 to $176 (on sale), so $200 for brand new Model 3 pads that likely had to be made on a small batch order isn't too crazy. What are you thinking is a more reasonable price and why?

http://hawkbrakesdirect.com/c-81_tesla-s_performance-brake-pads.aspx

Reactions: DrDabbles

I guess what I'm saying is I don't think the pads are marked up much compared to other comparable pads. So if you want to spend less, they're going to be inferior.

Just like tires. I will never understand people that skimp on cheap, generic, crap tires on an expensive car. Especially if they're going to track the thing or put aggressive pads on it. Your tires are the most important part of your car by far. Get good ones.