Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Creaking from rear suspension

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
60k miles, ‘19 LR AWD. I’ve had the front upper control arms previously replaced under warranty for squeaking. Noises sound similar this time, but coming from rear. I can push down on trunk area by hand and hear it - sounds like a squeaky old bed. From searching here, it sounds like some people have also had this from the rear. What are the most likely causes, and what did you pay out of warranty? Beyond the noise, any safety or performance concerns with waiting awhile?

On a related note: is there an aftermarket option that is likely to last more than 5+ years without this kind of failure?

Does it usually happen when accelerating and braking "quickly"? If yes, I had same creak (sounded exactly as you described, from rear of vehicle) and the fix was replacing the rear stabilizer bar.
Yes, but it doesn't take much to make the squeak - just gentle movements. In fact, under normal speed driving, there's too much other noise (road, wind) to really hear it much, but parking lots & driveways, 100%. What was the cost for your repair?

Yes, but it doesn't take much to make the squeak - just gentle movements. In fact, under normal speed driving, there's too much other noise (road, wind) to really hear it much, but parking lots & driveways, 100%. What was the cost for your repair?

Not sure, it was covered under warranty. Sounded exactly like a bed creak as you described.

I assumed the noise was coming from one of the stabilizer bushings and they didn't sell them separately so they replaced whole bar.

Possible and most likely cause for squeeky rear suspension is the bushing of the fore upper links being out on either side. It's the top and most forward rear link. You can see this one easily when looking through the wheels. If it's sitting in the middle of the mounting points, it's good. If it's no longer sitting in the middle and touching the subframe, that's where the squeek is coming from. Have had this on my own Model 3 as well. Could get this replaced by Tesla or you can go aftermarket, Mountain Pass Performance has some really nice links available.

Possible and most likely cause for squeeky rear suspension is the bushing of the fore upper links being out on either side. It's the top and most forward rear link. You can see this one easily when looking through the wheels. If it's sitting in the middle of the mounting points, it's good. If it's no longer sitting in the middle and touching the subframe, that's where the squeek is coming from. Have had this on my own Model 3 as well. Could get this replaced by Tesla or you can go aftermarket, Mountain Pass Performance has some really nice links available.
^ this is my bet. You can find the arms on EBay for around $45, or go up from there for new, or arms with spherical bushings.
IMG_1062.jpeg

Picture is unhappy. That rubber bushing is supposed to be captured in the arm and keep the arm centered between the sheet metal flanges attached to the body of the car. Your "squeaky bed" comment is exactly what mine sounded like and I had it happen on both sides of my 2018. I doubt there's any danger since the control arm remains captured by the bolt. Might throw your alignment off some.

I don't think it's your sway bar unless you do have the aftermarket versions others are linking because those bushings require re-lubrication. And my experience with bad endlinks is that they pop, not squeak.

• Helpful
Reactions: pnwadventures
Does it usually happen when accelerating and braking "quickly"? If yes, I had same creak (sounded exactly as you described, from rear of vehicle) and the fix was replacing the rear stabilizer bar.

I have had this creaking noise for a while. Happens when accelerating and braking but also when turning while going over uneven surfaces. Usually it's just a couple pops then it stops. I took it in for service and Tesla said they couldn't duplicate... It was raining on the day...I have been looking for this noise on my own.

Today I unbolted my sway bar only where it mounts to the frame. I put just a thin coat of grease between the frame and the bushings. I also thinly coated the mounting brackets where they hold the bushing.

The sound is gone and my car has never been quieter. No negative side effects. I think the bushing moves just a tiny bit when flexing against the frame and it makes popping creaking noises.

• Love
Reactions: bickie and Adam3
I have had this creaking noise for a while. Happens when accelerating and braking but also when turning while going over uneven surfaces. Usually it's just a couple pops then it stops. I took it in for service and Tesla said they couldn't duplicate... It was raining on the day...I have been looking for this noise on my own.

Today I unbolted my sway bar only where it mounts to the frame. I put just a thin coat of grease between the frame and the bushings. I also thinly coated the mounting brackets where they hold the bushing.

The sound is gone and my car has never been quieter. No negative side effects. I think the bushing moves just a tiny bit when flexing against the frame and it makes popping creaking noises.

Sweet! Hope my post helped.

Reactions: P3dStealth