Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stop the Press! Tesla announces REAL HP numbers for P85D and P90L

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That may be one way to see it, and that way of seeing it reflects the past, perhaps the present as well, but not the future.

My expectation is that in the future, it will be widely accepted to rate the cars as per their motor ratings. It could be said that a different language/terminology better fits different technology.

That said, battery (and many other components) ratings are also relevant metrics of that future car and deserve a mention.

But if the article was written after the disclosure, and doesn't mention motor HP, but rather only mentions 762 HP then all it is doing is further confusing and misleading people.

It's not a question of changing terminology, or having new terminology become accepted. "762 HP", as it refers to power being made my a Tesla Model S, is, without question, misleading.

Was it written post-disclosure of the real HP numbers? If so that's just sad.
A fellow MS bud dropped it by my hanger today. There was a write up on the new 570 along with a piece about Model X and a side bar about Autopilot in their P90DL which is where they mentioned the horsepower. I did not check the date but my bud is pretty good about reading the mags when they show up then depositing stuff he thinks would interest me shortly there after. I would not be surprised if it is a current issue which means it likely went to press four weeks ago (????).

While we made a big deal about the battery-limited number, I suspect outside of these forums not many people know or care about the issue. Whether they use the motor number or the battery number, the auto mags measure performance metrics independent of that anyways.

While we made a big deal about the battery-limited number, I suspect outside of these forums not many people know or care about the issue. Whether they use the motor number or the battery number, the auto mags measure performance metrics independent of that anyways.

Agree with that - outside of the car forums, not many people care about the issues discussed here. It could also be said that the majority of car owners are not on any car forums.

It is my experience that the large segment of car owners treat a car almost as a commodity. The most they can tell and are interested in about their car is the price, perhaps brand, reliability and the fuel consumption in weekly $ terms. They might (or might not) pretend to understand few car metrics, just so not to appear ignorant, but really do not care much about the detailed performance metrics often discussed on TMC. For these people car is more likely to be a chore, not a toy or a source of joy.

That said, Tesla current customers seem to be a very different market segment that cares about the detailed car metrics and the performance these metrics reflect.

FUD is something perpetuated to discourage someone from something. I think what you mean is that they are continuing to publish the combined motor HP number in hopes that mags blow sunshine re HP to encourage buyers. It certainly ain't fear, uncertainty, and doubt that is being spread. To be constructive, what is it you want said by C&D? I'd guess it goes along the line of "this number is combined capability of the motors, which does contribute to performance, but important to be aware that the actual HP delivered to wheels is XXX, which is evidenced by acceleration performance above 45 mph. Which is still excellent, but not reflective of 700 hp. I own several of them, and love the car... Just wish they'd be clear about this so performance oriented drivers know what they're getting."

IMO, you'd be perfect person to write balanced letter to C&D editor to clarify this. If you are up for it, I'd gladly assist, just PM me. Nothing to be gained by perpetuating debate on forum.

FUD was wrong. Meant FOD but got autocorrected (if that is a verb) to FUD.

I pointed out the quoted hp one to laugh out loud about the ever climbing erogenous number and two to point out that Tesla may have some place to hide with their "combined motor hp" wording but no such wording shows up in the press (likely no surprise to those providing the numbers).

I'm not out on a mission to fix anything. If Tesla wants to provide misleading information to magazines and stand by quietly while those mags print it, who am I to step in. It is Tesla's company to do as Tesla likes and if they want a rep for spewing crap, so be it.

stop,
Gotta say I disagree. Car and Drive make a big deal over horsepower (even though they measure performance). Continued purposeful dissemination of FOD per Tesla's desire.
Yes, they talk about the horsepower number, but they don't make a big deal about the specifics (certainly not enough to catch something like battery vs motor power). For example, the big car mags don't dyno cars to verify power. I know some hot rod magazines still do, but I haven't seen it done by the big car mags. All the performance tests are focused on the actual performance, not the specifics on the horsepower.

As for "corrections," I haven't seen automakers correct journalists for making errors that err on the side of being positive and this case it can be argued that it wasn't even an error, just something that can use clarification (motor vs battery hp rating).

Last edited:
Disappointed. Nothing wrong with clean fun, and the real numbers. Making stuff up is what Volkswagen does.

As Tesla advances with new technology, they have the opportunity to develop a new language/metrics that fits that technology.

Yes, I hear the new koala fur seats feature twice the insulation. :mad:

Electric cars can be anything you want them to be, and do more for the environment than calling power "outdated" and watching ICE drivers stay right where they are.

In case this hasn't been referenced yet, I'd just like to add some fuel to this dwindling fire: Let the hacking begin... (Model S parts on the bench) - Page 49

Basically, a P85D puts down 446HP according to the actual CAN bus logging by a 3rd party. I know Tesla has already fessed up, but I sure would like to know their rational for not being up front about it.
Not to go back in circles, Tesla never officially claimed the battery had enough power to put out the 691hp (although people interpreted it that way). That rating was always just the nameplate rating of the motors according to ECE R85. AKA the whole "motor power" argument.

I'm curious what happened to the Norway complaint. It has been more than a month already since the last update.

Not to go back in circles, Tesla never officially claimed the battery had enough power to put out the 691hp (although people interpreted it that way).
If you look at from the point of view of "they never said" then none of the specs ever published would be worth anything. They said Model X can tow 5000lb, they never said at what SoC, maybe only between 90 and 95%, but not higher or lower, eh? If someone's 85D full charge range degrades down to 80miles range you would argue that the car's range is still 265 miles since the spec page never explicitly said range was without re-charging along the way? When they list the CPO prices on a USA page, they list them in "$", nowhere does it say it's US$, so you think they would accept Canadian $ or Taiwan $ at 1:1? Of course not because it's reasonable to assume that on US page the prices are in US$. When car hp is published, it is reasonable to assume the car can produce that power without modifications.

What is now indisputable is that they had trivial means to determine the true power of the car and chose not to reveal it (and indeed to obfuscate the issue with JB's famous blog posting). Yes, they have now come clean, good on them, but not before many were deceptively relieved of their hard earned money. Any suggestion that it was somehow an internal mis-understanding or error is indefensible.