Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stopped by the Cops

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm perhaps being a bit old school, but you could work out speed from the roadside markers on the video feed Distance information (at the bottom of the page). or similarly from any other standardised road markings such as the squares used for aircraft speed tracking, or even the lines on the road for speed cameras to prove that you weren't going above the speed limit.

I'm perhaps being a bit old school, but you could work out speed from the roadside markers on the video feed Distance information (at the bottom of the page). or similarly from any other standardised road markings such as the squares used for aircraft speed tracking, or even the lines on the road for speed cameras to prove that you weren't going above the speed limit.
Absolutely you could but that only gives average speed between selected markers. What is annoying is that the car has all of that information but you cannot access it.

The car definitely has all the data. If you look at any of the crash videos that GreentheOnly posts, you can see the constant readout of speed, wheel position, brakes, etc. that are stored.

Teslafi only seems to record snapshots at an interval of around 20 seconds. I was driving on NoA with a set speed of 80 on Sunday night and a car came right up on my bumper as I was passing a car going a few mph less than me. I punched the accelerator to clear the lane and the car hit 95 mph instantly and NoA yelled at me for exceeding 90 on Autopilot. I got the no-AP for you for the rest of the trip message. Looking through the Teslafi logs, it completely missed the incident because it happened somewhere between the 20 second snapshots.

The car definitely has all the data. If you look at any of the crash videos that GreentheOnly posts, you can see the constant readout of speed, wheel position, brakes, etc. that are stored.

Teslafi only seems to record snapshots at an interval of around 20 seconds. I was driving on NoA with a set speed of 80 on Sunday night and a car came right up on my bumper as I was passing a car going a few mph less than me. I punched the accelerator to clear the lane and the car hit 95 mph instantly and NoA yelled at me for exceeding 90 on Autopilot. I got the no-AP for you for the rest of the trip message. Looking through the Teslafi logs, it completely missed the incident because it happened somewhere between the 20 second snapshots.
if you want real time continuous logging you would probably need an OBDII based system something based on API calls is never going to be suitable unless the car logs it then lets you download via api

I'm in two minds about the harassment, if somebody is too close behind, speeding up is seldom going to solve the problem, they'll still be close behind just at higher speed, slowing down is the better tactic and they'll blast past. It doesn't feel right I agree but 30 years of driving has brought me around to that way of thinking. The police may appear to drive like idiots but I think they're looking for the ones that will get easily provoked into bad driving by others, if they can do it by driving too close then what would a driver do if they got carved up or something much worse?
Technically known as entrapment. Which is against the law (but only for criminal law, not traffic law ). Tailgating, however, is.

Reactions: Avendit
Technically known as entrapment. Which is against the law (but only for criminal law, not traffic law ). Tailgating, however, is.
There's a world of difference between driving like a lot of people do and goading somebody into braking the law. I wouldn't say driving too close behind was entrapment in any form. It's a long way from driving an unmarked police car, pulling up alongside you at traffic lights and saying fancy a race. Its akin to the police dressing up and looking like a prostitute which is fine, but them leaning into you car and offering you a trick isn't. Entrapment per se is also not a defence (R v Sang (1980)). Not sure why you feel the need to make the point unless you just don't like the boys in blue.

There's a world of difference between driving like a lot of people do and goading somebody into braking the law. I wouldn't say driving too close behind was entrapment in any form.
I covered that entrapment isn't a defence as it's a criminal law violation, not a traffic law violation

Not sure why you feel the need to make the point unless you just don't like the boys in blue.
I was replying to your point about the cops looking for people "who are easily provoked".

I have written to Tesla and asked for this. They call the recording 'dashcam' but it does not store any useful data. The real dashcam in my other car has GPS position, Speed, Time of Day, Car Registration number all superimposed on the video. Much more useful for actual evidence than the Tesla data.

I always turn that off on any dash cam. It's not necessary to prove fault in the event of an accident, but it is sufficient to incriminate me if I happened to drive 'enthusiastically'.

Reactions: Zakalwe
Thanks - so what is needed is some clever programmer that can log stuff with a physical link off the CANBus on the car and match it to the dashcam footage - then we get something like a real dashcam function. Does not need much - perhaps just MPH, GPS position and something that identifies the car?
Depending on local rules of evidence you could have an admissibility issue, chain of custody and such. Imho

Milfield....come and visit us - car charging available!
I few at Millfield years ago - before the massive redevelopment of the clubhouse etc. I had a very enjoyable few hours ridge soaring and even got a bit of wave. My syndicate partner did his 5 hours on the same day.

Here's a piccy of my car + glider BTW - with a rainbow as a bonus:

Attachments

• 20200824_164636.jpg
    20200824_164636.jpg
    568.3 KB · Views: 47
Reactions: Adopado
Last edited:
I am surprised people follow tesla closely because everytime i let off the accelerator, the brake like lights up. Highly infuriating for those behind and one of the reason i have the regen set to low on high speed journeys.

If by "let off the accelerator" you mean completely removing pressure from the pedal then maybe. The idea is that you don't do this unless you really want that level of deceleration ... you just ease off the pressure. There's no reason for any more brake light activity than driving any other car no matter what level of regen. If regen was just an on/off switch it would be different but that's not how it is.

Reactions: pdk42