Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Storing P4S tires in a garage in colorado?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Moving from California to Colorado! I'll be switching between winter / summer tires. I know the min recommended storage temp of the P4S's when off the car is 40F. If I simply have them stacked in my garage in colorado, will that be safe enough? uninsulated garage. What do people who live there do to store theirs?

I could be wrong, but as far as I'm aware it doesn't really matter what temp they're stored at... as long as they're given 24-48 hours above 40F before being remounted and driven.

Wonder if that also applies to my racing tires (currently nanking AR1s, used to be RE71Rs). I had just given up storing those over winter and had planned on a new set every spring

I put my summers (three sets, for three different cars) racks in my unheated garage in central Mass, upright. It's quite the sight, 600lbs of tires held 7-10 feet off the ground. Never had any trouble with them. Of course during the summer, the winters live up on the racks.

Reactions: N54TT
Wonder if that also applies to my racing tires (currently nanking AR1s, used to be RE71Rs). I had just given up storing those over winter and had planned on a new set every spring

..In San Diego. Where the low temp is like 50F.

Keep replacing your tires every winter. Mail the old ones to me, I'll dispose of them for you. I'll even send a prepaid label.

• Funny
Reactions: Mash
..In San Diego. Where the low temp is like 50F.

Keep replacing your tires every winter. Mail the old ones to me, I'll dispose of them for you. I'll even send a prepaid label.

Hah easy to store here in San Diego!

Is there a real difference in storing vertically on a rack vs just in top of each other? Obviously the latter is much more weight on the bottom tire but does it matter?

Is there a real difference in storing vertically on a rack vs just in top of each other? Obviously the latter is much more weight on the bottom tire but does it matter?
Your car weighs 4000 lbs, 1000lbs on each corner, and sits around for years on these tires and crashes over potholes at 60 MPH or kerbs at 120 MPH.
I think a tire can handle 75 lbs on top of it in a stack.

Moving from California to Colorado! I'll be switching between winter / summer tires. I know the min recommended storage temp of the P4S's when off the car is 40F. If I simply have them stacked in my garage in colorado, will that be safe enough? uninsulated garage. What do people who live there do to store theirs?
You have nothing to worry about. They can be stored at temperatures colder than 40 degrees Fahrenheit. However if they're stored at temperatures below 24 degrees Fahrenheit they cannot be put on the car or used even to support its weight let alone driven. There is a risk of tread cracking if the tread and tire do not thaw out by having a period of at least 24 hours at a warmer temperature. But for storage you're absolutely fine. If they've had a day or two at 40 plus they'll be fine to put on the car.