Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Storm Watch not charging!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In the middle of a severe thunderstorm and STORM WATCH is in standby, I figured that it would be charging the batteries right now. Luckily they are at 69% so we'll see if the grid goes down. Where does one report issues with storm watch to?

In the middle of a severe thunderstorm and STORM WATCH is in standby, I figured that it would be charging the batteries right now. Luckily they are at 69% so we'll see if the grid goes down. Where does one report issues with storm watch to?
StormWatch mode is triggered by authorities declaring an emergency that would lead to widespread power outages. Has such a designation been given for your area?

As an example, we get high winds in low humidity and the Power Company shut off power to prevent transmission lines from starting forest fires. These declared potential power shutoff conditions trigger StormWatch mode.

Last edited:
Reactions: 201reyes

Tesla only cites hurricanes and ice storms as specific examples in their description of storm watch but does leave the door open for other types of storms:

Note that Storm Watch only activates during severe storms that are likely to knock down power lines and cause outages, like hurricanes and ice storms. To best protect yourself from everyday weather events, keep a high reserve percentage or choose Backup-Only. As your Powerwall learns more about the type of storms that typically cause outages, events that trigger Storm Watch will be adjusted.

Whether or how that might happen is unclear - perhaps it is monitoring for NWS warnings where Tesla doesn't invoke storm watch that are followed by outages to potentially add to the list, even regionally. But, I don't think there is any formal process to request the feature be turned on. I have found that around here, Severe Thunderstorm Warnings are not something that triggers a storm watch event. We have had other events that do (Tornado Warnings, Tropical Storm Warnings, Winter Storm Warnings, and High Wind Warnings as examples.)

Where does one report issues with storm watch to?

You could call tesla energy support, the same place you would call to report anything with your powerwalls. with that being said, Reporting "My system should be in stormwatch mode but its not" isnt likely to go anywhere, unless your area is under one of the specific NWS alerts that triggers stormwatch.

Reactions: 201reyes and h2ofun