Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Storm Watch Sacramento Valley 9/9/21

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Strange, storm watch is activate. We have a red flag advisory. Seems a little overkill

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210909-122602_Tesla.jpg
    Screenshot_20210909-122602_Tesla.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 60
This is super common given PG&E's history of turning off large sections of their grid during high winds and wildfire risk.

You can still manually disable it if you'd like by turning off Storm Watch.

Reactions: skiingj
You can still manually disable it if you'd like by turning off Storm Watch.
^^^ This.

I usually leave Stormwatch disabled to avoid the possibility of it charging during a peak TOU period, particularly without me knowing about it. I'll enable it (== "allow Tesla to turn it on") under conditions of my choosing.

Bruce.

yes - it seems to have just kicked on at noon (oakland.) thankfully it's still off-peak on EV2 and the PW was at 95% or something when it switched on.

i can't remember how this works anymore - the PW will not discharge for load-shifting while storm watch is on, right?

Does storm watch work with advisories and watches or just warnings? Tornado, flood, severe storms and hurricane watches and warnings

Tesla hasn't really published publicly what exactly triggers Storm Watch. The details they have provided is here: Storm Watch | Tesla Support

The general belief is that it's triggered off of NWS Warnings (which Tesla says in their documentation), the highest of the 3 NWS alert levels, for the categories of weather that could potentially impact the grid.

I saw CBS5 noon news and they led with story on potential dry lightning fires and the red flag warning. Some area north of San Jose/San Francisco and east bay hills and areas to the north and east of that were shown in red. Given how bad the current fires still are I’m sure they just want everyone alerted to the potential in case they need to evacuate. Hopefully no lightning and fires. Some rain would be nice. Our fire fighters along with hospital/medical staffs have got to be mentally and physically burnt out by everything going on. Hope everyone stays safe.

Are you on IOS/iPadOS? I think 4.0 is only currently available for Apple devices.

yes - iphone12 with the latest OS. interestingly the tesla app update never showed up in my list of apps to update, but when i went to the page for the tesla app it first said "open" and then immediately flashed to "update", so i guess this is apple's bug.

i installed it on another phone just to see, since people seem to hate it. i noticed there's a new priority setting for storm watch, but i don't really understand what it means. anyway i think i can live with the new app; i will probably do the update on my own phone.

still struggling with what to do with this particular SW - i feel like i should just get off the grid since there's a flex alert today. but for now i've left SW enabled and have not done any load-shifting.

i just read in another thread about the new tesla app. strangely this has never been offered to me though it has seemingly been out for a few weeks. at any rate the old app showed the storm watch mode right away.
My husband got the app update a few days ago but I haven’t. We were just comparing the app last night. He offered a guess that they caught something they want to fix so stopped sending out but who knows. The solar/PWs were purchased under his account so maybe he got priority?? We’re both iPhone users with latest iOS btw.

well see my previous message - i think it was an apple app store bug. the new version is definitely still on apple's servers.
I just manually downloaded it so could be. My husband when we were comparing our versions last night thought the 3.xx version I had yesterday was more data precise in the view mode. He now said he was going to have me hold off downloading the newer version to compare more closely…but too late now. I did notice when you are on your car view under location it is now displaying it using Apple Maps (icon in bottom left corner). Don’t know if this is just unique to Apple phone users or not. No Storm Watch on my phone but think we are out of the area for it.