Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Strange model 3 behavior with navigation and music

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

vikings123

Supporting Member
May 27, 2019
MN
Ok so over the past couple of days I noticed strange behavior with my model 3.

1. yesterday morning I parked my car in my office lot like every day. In the evening prior to walking to my car I usually turn on climate to warm up the car. When I opened up my App in the evening climate was already turned on so that was weird. The battery was drained from 67% to 42%.

I get to my car with music playing on a tune in station that’s in my favorites. However I was not listening to this station on my drive to work.

I had the yahoo finance page loaded and it was likely auto refreshing. Not sure if this has anything to do with the strange behavior but throwing it out there.

2. Fast forward to my morning today and the navigation was automatically routing to a location that is not my work location. I have never been this to this location. I canceled and clicked on work in navigation and it correctly provided me with the route for my work location.

Anybody know what might be going?

Do you lock your car?

I use the automatic walk away lock. It's never given me problems before. I did not think too much of this yesterday but definitely a bit freaked out when the navigation starting routing me to a different location this morning. Like I said I have never been to that location.

Only a wild guess, but it almost seems like there are wires crossed (maybe in the Tesla servers) and someone else is thinking they are trying to control their car, but it's really going to yours. It doesn't explain the TuneIn mixup, but it could explain the other occurrences.

Was the random location it tried to route you to relatively local to you, or far away?

Only a wild guess, but it almost seems like there are wires crossed (maybe in the Tesla servers) and someone else is thinking they are trying to control their car, but it's really going to yours. It doesn't explain the TuneIn mixup, but it could explain the other occurrences.

Was the random location it tried to route you to relatively local to you, or far away?

It was relatively local. It's closer to my home than my work location.

I use the automatic walk away lock. It's never given me problems before. I did not think too much of this yesterday but definitely a bit freaked out when the navigation starting routing me to a different location this morning. Like I said I have never been to that location.
The reason I asked about locks is that you didn't mention it, and it's fairly easy to forget to set those, or perhaps have them set wrong. Or maybe you left a door ajar. And from what you report, it sounds like someone got into your car somehow and just had some fun fooling around with it. Perhaps some teenager who didn't have any evil intentions, but saw an opportunity and grabbed it.