Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

strange noise in the front of 2016 Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In the last 2 months, my model X developed this strange noise that I bugs me. it happens only at low speed. It appears come from the left front wheel region. I tried to record the noise outside with a suction cup, but could not hear anything. Inside the car, I did record the noise with a cellphone. Can anyone provide any hint of where the noise is likely coming from ? BTW, the car was slowing down from 33 mph to 0. The road is flat, no pot holes. And It makes similar sound in normal low speed driving, but not all the time. my guess is about 20-30% of the time.

https://recorder.google.com/share/2d80c4b6-6069-4678-a3f8-f722ff634f1d

Thanks

Eddie

I found a dash cam video that also captured the noise and road condition, which is considered reasonable in this area. The fact that it only happens sometime leads me to think it is not an issue with moving parts. could it be something is loose ?

Eddie

If you are referring to the raddle or clunking noise at low speeds, it is the upper control arms. The joint needs to be repacked with grease or needs replacing. I injected grease into the joint using a grease gun needle. It took care of the clunking raddle at slow speeds.

Reactions: Birdcar
finally, the SC replaced the half shaft and left air spring module. When I went to pick up the car. the lead mechanics explained to me that original quote is in error, The half shaft replacement is under bulletin SB-21-39-001 for $350. My 2016 MX is more than 85K miles and out of warranty by now.

I searched this bulletin number online, and found heated discussion on this topics (Front half shaft replacement instructions ).

I do hope someone can take advantage of this offer and save.

BTW, the noise is gone. It was not upper control arm nor sway bar links.

• Informative
Reactions: brainhouston
finally, the SC replaced the half shaft and left air spring module. When I went to pick up the car. the lead mechanics explained to me that original quote is in error, The half shaft replacement is under bulletin SB-21-39-001 for $350. My 2016 MX is more than 85K miles and out of warranty by now.

I searched this bulletin number online, and found heated discussion on this topics (Front half shaft replacement instructions ).

I do hope someone can take advantage of this offer and save.

BTW, the noise is gone. It was not upper control arm nor sway bar links.
So, it was the air suspension which they diagnosed. The half shaft bulletin is for the shudder under heavy acceleration. I had mine replaced twice. Glad to hear it was resolved.