Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Strange noise while charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had my M3 for 3 months so I am accustomed to the muted sound that the car usually makes when charging, heating and cooling down the battery. But yesterday morning, I found my car making a concerning noise.

Here's a video:

It sounded like a bee, and could be heard 50 ft away. The car was charging at 24A / 240V but only showing 10mph in the charge speed (heat/ac/seat warmers all disabled), where it usually displays 25mph. I stopped the charge, started it again: noise gone, 25mph.

What could it have been? Slightly concerned to let my car charge alone at night now.

• Informative
Reactions: dmurphy
I've had my M3 for 3 months so I am accustomed to the muted sound that the car usually makes when charging, heating and cooling down the battery. But yesterday morning, I found my car making a concerning noise.

Here's a video:

It sounded like a bee, and could be heard 50 ft away. The car was charging at 24A / 240V but only showing 10mph in the charge speed (heat/ac/seat warmers all disabled), where it usually displays 25mph. I stopped the charge, started it again: noise gone, 25mph.

What could it have been? Slightly concerned to let my car charge alone at night now.

Totally, totally normal. Was it a little cool in the morning?

It pumps coolant through the battery to either warm or cool the battery so it can charge most efficiently. Totally normal what you were seeing - the battery was probably cold soaked and it was warming up to achieve maximum charging speeds.

100% normal - absolutely nothing to worry about!

Normal, and I'm guessing you have a RWD version?

The sounds you're hearing correspond to it heating the battery. The reason only 10mph is being displayed is because it's using a decent chunk of the available power to heat the battery, probably 3-4kW (which is why I'm assuming it's RWD, it would normally be higher with AWD).

You don't hear this more often due to a few factors, but basically it will only heat once the battery is "too cold", then it heats for a while until "warm enough" (and eventually repeat if necessary). Usually due to scheduled charging or charging immediately after a drive (which would've heated the battery a bit), you don't usually witness the battery being actively heated.

Ok that makes sense, it was indeed probably the first time I manually plugged it in in the morning since it got cold. I usually plug right after driving, and leave it on a schedule. Thank you both. Now I feel like a typical Californian, losing it below 50F.

• Funny
Reactions: Gasaraki