Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Strange noise!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As I was driving my 70D today, a strange noise suddenly started under the dashboard either right after I cancelled the GPS function or shortly after (not sure if this is related?)! This steady fast paced chattering noise sounded electronic in nature. The only time it would stop was when the voice commend button is pressed. As soon as it is let go, the noise would resume immediately!

Has anyone experienced the same kind of noise before? What is it and how to stop it? The mute button/volume control knob has no affect over this noise. It would stop when the car is powered off.

I wonder if this is connected to the "rattle" ive been hearing. what firmware are you on?

It is definitely NOT a rattle for it is a constant fast da da da da noise. It is loud and obnoxious!
If it sounds like a software introduced issue, try rebooting the Center panel, using the steering keys...

Do not know how to do reboot the center panel by using the steering keys! More instructions please!

I've had that happen too. The other workaround is to mute the navigation system. I've mentioned it to service and they say it's a known bug.

So the noise does have something to do with the navigation system! I forgot about the volume control with the navigation system. It is good to know there are more than just one option to stop the noise. Thanks.

I wonder is anyone within Tesla working on the bug to eliminate it? Fortunately I was not on a long distance trip yesterday when it the noise started. It would have been very annoying should something like this happen during a cross-country trip for the first time!

So the noise does have something to do with the navigation system! I forgot about the volume control with the navigation system. It is good to know there are more than just one option to stop the noise. Thanks.

I wonder is anyone within Tesla working on the bug to eliminate it? Fortunately I was not on a long distance trip yesterday when it the noise started. It would have been very annoying should something like this happen during a cross-country trip for the first time!

If you call Tesla service for an issue e.g. while you are on the road, many times, they can check the status the car is reporting back to cloud. They can provide instructions for you (like try rebooting the center console) while you are on the road - so no worries - in many cases, you can be taken care of :).