TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Strange regen braking problem - shaking

Discussion in 'Model S' started by teslick2, Nov 2, 2019.

1. teslick2

teslick2 Member

Hi all,

Now that the weather is colder I have noticed some strange shaking with the regen breaking on my 2013 model s. On cold mornings when I start driving it will start to shake pretty hard at low reg braking speeds (no feet on either pedals). The moment I press the brakes it stops. It appears to only happen on downhills and tends to go away once I’ve been driving a while.

Has anyone ever experienced this or can they share any thoughts or advice? Since it only happens under specific conditions it’s hard to demonstrate to the service center and they have not been able to help.

thanks!

2. steve841

steve841 Active Member

Total guess .... motor mount

3. teslick2

teslick2 Member

Good point. Does the motor engage during reg braking?

4. bishoppeak

bishoppeak Member

That's what does the regen

5. teslick2

teslick2 Member

So thinking about this more, if it were the motor mount, then wouldn’t it exhibit the same behavior when accelerating?

6. steve841

steve841 Active Member

Forces are going in the opposite direction ....

7. Benjanos

Benjanos Member

Strange it goes away after driving a while. Wonder if once the battery is warm and the regen becomes stronger the problem is less apparent for some reason.

Did you recently change to winter wheels/tires? Wheel/tires can create strange problems sometimes if not setup right. Just a thought.

8. teslick2

teslick2 Member

update: the problem went away when I got the tires changed. The old ones were pretty beat, and the metal bands were showing in some places. That being said, I think it was a combo of things happening that were causing the shakes. I found that it only occurred when doing regen braking, on a downhill, while the air suspension was lowering. Add bad tires to the mix and things got weird.

9. JDWalker

JDWalker New Member

I started to have shaking going down only very steep hills, which also stops when I break. It shakes an alarming amount. It’s didn’t do this for the first few weeks, but now does it consistently in one steep hill by my house. I made a service appointment.

10. teslick2

teslick2 Member

Keep me posted on the results! Mine still does it a little, but it’s much less common now.

11. Battpower

Battpower Supporting Member

Shaking on heavy (or moderate) acceleration or deceleration loads on warn drive shaft couplings / CV joints can cause odd vibration. Especially CV joints change with temperature, spread of grease and random alignment of internal components.

If you have air suspension, changing the ride height can give some diagnostic clues.