Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Strange sound from wheel/suspension

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At a recent track day I started hearing the sound below from the front suspension. I noticed it under braking and turning and was able to reproduce it occasionally going over speedbumps, as the video below shows. It sounds like a twang, like something you would hear from a spring, but who knows. Any thoughts on what it could be?

I went over and checked all the major suspension parts for loose bolts and found nothing. Most of the suspension arms and coil overs are mountain pass and are just a few months old on the car.

Do you think it could be a cracked wheel? The only thing I can think of is that I hit a rather large bump on the way to track. I've inspected the wheels repeatedly and didn't see any damage.

Anyway, any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Last huge dip I hit (bottomed out the front really hard), followed by driving very fast over many more miles of very nasty torn up pavement, led to a swaybar endlink coming just slightly loose. Not enough to tell visually or by hand, but it would shift under load and I'd get a real loud clunk.

I have also cracked a big Tesla performance model (P85) rim from driving on a bumpy road (245/35 is not enough sidewall for the real world), but the immediate symptom there was just a slow pressure leak. I don't think that sound of yours is from a cracked rim.