TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Strange sound w/ car off

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Joetnr1, Jun 21, 2016.

1. Joetnr1

Joetnr1 Member

Haven't driven my car in a few hours and I just walked by it and heard it making a sound while off. Sounds like its coming from the vents and seems to be blowing a little bit of air from underneath the hood. Is there some kind of cooling system that operates when the car is shut down? I was totally unaware if so.

It is ridiculously hot in L.A. right now and I have a black Model S so it's definitely taking some serious heat in the sun. Any idea? Thanks in advance.

2. chillaban

chillaban Member

Yep -- the car will operate the HVAC on its own if needed to cool the battery pack and other systems. Sounds like fans and a compressor.

3. Joetnr1

Joetnr1 Member

I had no idea. Thank you.

4. AEdennis

AEdennis Active Member

If you think your S sounds bad... You should hear the Roadster when it is plugged in and charging... It's the noisiest that the car gets.

5. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

Just wait until it starts leveling itself and begins rocking back and forth all on it's own. That one threw me for a loop the first time!