Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Strange squeal upon opening driver’s door/unlocking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Dilly

Feb 24, 2020
Norfolk
The last couple of times I’ve opened the driver‘s door, I’ve got an electronic squeal as if the car is trying to tell me something.
i think but can’t be certain that it follows some sentry events.
anyone had similar?

The last couple of times I’ve opened the driver‘s door, I’ve got an electronic squeal as if the car is trying to tell me something.
i think but can’t be certain that it follows some sentry events.
anyone had similar?
Yes, I’ve had a couple of instances of that, no discernible pattern and it’s only happened 3 times in 2 years with my 2019 M3 P-.

I have another theory:
we were on holiday for four days and I left my wallet and key card at home. Next day realised wife hadn’t got her key card either.
A couple of times it wanted the card to unlock but changed it’s mind and once wanted the card to start but again changed it’s mind.
it was the kind of squeal that the alarm makes but just one short burst.
perhaps it thought for a moment that I was a car thief!

I have had this a couple of times over the year I have had my car too. The last time it was when opening the door after a longish sleep (Couple of days of no activity). No science or technical knowledge to my theory, but I put it down to the car waking up and it being a bit slow on the boot up process and possible not got to the point of turning off the alarm by the time I had opened the door, so it had triggered the alarm. There may be some code if the alarms is triggered check to see if the locks have been disarmed which it did and so stopped the alarm after one pip.

Tongue in cheek reasoning:
it may have been alerting me to the fact that there was a fly in my car. It travelled back from Oldham with us and set the alarm off twice last night.
it squealed again when I opened the door this morning. I found the fly and evicted it. It hasn’t done it since. Yet…. :rolleyes: