Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stratos vs Photosync Tints

Which Tints?

• Stratos

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Photosync

Votes: 22 81.5%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First post so forgive me if this has been asked. I did do a brief search for this topic/comparison but didnt find anything. I am looking at both. I leave in IL so we are limited by the long arm of the law and what levels we can tint. I can legally do 35% on the sides and rear and nothing on the front...which I am going to do anyway at 70 or 75%. I have looked at all the options for the model 3. I have a Metallic White Performance 3 with a Black interior. I will be doing a chrome delete as well as satin Powder coat the wheels as well. I have a few quotes for the Formula Ones Stratos as well as Prestige Spectra Photosync. Both options are from the best two film shops in the northwest burbs of chicago and both quotes are coming in at exactly the same $850! This is once again for 35% all around and 70-75% on the windshield. Let me know what you guys think. I skipped 3M for I heard they can be a little grainy. I dont know much about tinting so I hope you guys can steer me the right way. I am looking to obviously cut down on heat, but I am also like the way the White M3 looks with tints. I am not a fan of bluish tints either. Think they look cheap and remind me of a cheap school bus tints. Also, let me know about these two options and how the differ in color, night visibility, glare, durability, longevity, clarity, grain (if any...I do not want to see grain or rainbowing). I think these are the two best out. Thanks

FYI: Stratos 70% is blueish tint. :(

Before/After Tint: 35% Stratos windows; 70% windshield

The Stratos 70% on front windshield either has grain or the shop didn't install correctly. I'm planning to reach out to Stratos as soon as I can find a way to accurately represent the effect in pictures.

If you want to meet on a weekday, I'm typically in Buffalo Grove for work. Drop a PM and you can take a look for yourself.

Otherwise, good luck with the choice!

I live in Hawthorn woods, I'm in Iowa this coming week taking the 3 there. First long trip so I am a hair nervous. When I get back lets definitely get together. I am looking at Auto Image to do the Photosync. Jeff is an awesome guy and I believe he is very honest. Chicago Auto Pros was the other outfit and they do Stratos. They were pleasant as well.

Reactions: Dre78
First post so forgive me if this has been asked. I did do a brief search for this topic/comparison but didnt find anything. I am looking at both. I leave in IL so we are limited by the long arm of the law and what levels we can tint. I can legally do 35% on the sides and rear and nothing on the front...which I am going to do anyway at 70 or 75%. I have looked at all the options for the model 3. I have a Metallic White Performance 3 with a Black interior. I will be doing a chrome delete as well as satin Powder coat the wheels as well. I have a few quotes for the Formula Ones Stratos as well as Prestige Spectra Photosync. Both options are from the best two film shops in the northwest burbs of chicago and both quotes are coming in at exactly the same $850! This is once again for 35% all around and 70-75% on the windshield. Let me know what you guys think. I skipped 3M for I heard they can be a little grainy. I dont know much about tinting so I hope you guys can steer me the right way. I am looking to obviously cut down on heat, but I am also like the way the White M3 looks with tints. I am not a fan of bluish tints either. Think they look cheap and remind me of a cheap school bus tints. Also, let me know about these two options and how the differ in color, night visibility, glare, durability, longevity, clarity, grain (if any...I do not want to see grain or rainbowing). I think these are the two best out. Thanks

The most popular Photosync is probably 35%. 35% IMO looks best but I used 45% to improve my night vision. I picked Photosync for its heat rejection qualities and color. Good night vision, no distortion, grey-green, no grain, not cheap :). My Pearl White/Black 3 with 45% Spectra Photosync:

EA8E0ABA-8BB0-4B07-91DE-184A70F9B1B6.jpeg

13F6E51C-FE18-4BFC-916D-2E3A9F06DC94.jpeg

D5033195-9401-4668-B520-E50D052F6700.jpeg

43520E52-4E3F-4A06-A4AC-7029F1010DA0.jpeg

Last edited:
The most popular Photosync is probably 35%. 35% IMO looks best but I used 45% to improve my night vision. I picked Photosync for its heat rejection qualities and color. Good night vision, no distortion, grey-green, no grain, not cheap :). My Pearl White/Black 3 with 45% Spectra Photosync:

View attachment 394785

View attachment 394786

View attachment 394787

View attachment 394789

Really looks nice!! I got a quote today for 700 for Xpel Prime XR Plus. I think its very good and the color looks excellent! The heat rejection is solid, Im not sure it is as good as Photosync but probably more on par with Stratos. It seems to me that Photosync isnt as dark at 35% as say XR Plus. I could be wrong but every picture I have seen of Photosync seems to be very light at 35%. You can see thru both side windows fairly easily. I want a little more privacy.

Really looks nice!! I got a quote today for 700 for Xpel Prime XR Plus. I think its very good and the color looks excellent! The heat rejection is solid, Im not sure it is as good as Photosync but probably more on par with Stratos. It seems to me that Photosync isnt as dark at 35% as say XR Plus. I could be wrong but every picture I have seen of Photosync seems to be very light at 35%. You can see thru both side windows fairly easily. I want a little more privacy.

I agree. Photosync at 35% or 45% doesnt look as dark as others at the same tint level. might be the color differences. The VLT howerver would be the same. My personal goal wasn't so much appearance as heat rejection and good night vision. Sounds like you have a good plan!

Im considering doing Prime XR Plus on the Side and Rear in a 30% and Photosync 75 on the Windshield. I am still pretty torn on this, need to figure it out before my appointment on Friday. My issue with Photosync is 35% doesnt look that dark and that is the darkest they have. 35% XR Plus is darker but not Dark Enough. I dont want to have an issue with the law for they allow 35% and 30% isnt going to draw too much attention. As for Photosync I think putting it on the biggest Heat source AKA the windshield would give me the best of both worlds. Let me know what you guys think.

Not as dark as I thought for a 35 but I’m happy with heat rejection .. the 35 on the rear of My X that has factory tint looks darker like a 25 ..but fronts not as dark
Thats what I thought, what I am wondering is how dark they are compared to lets say XPEL Prime XR Plus? XR Plus doesnt have the high heat reduction and I am not certain on the color for I dont like the look of tints that look or lean towards the bluish side...are the Photosyncs bluish or more grey/charcoal black?

I had Photosync 35% on my Model S and now have Prime XR Plus 35% on my Model X and they look and feel very similar. IMO they both have a blueish look to them which doesn't bother me but if you're after a really black look I would try to see them in person before pulling the trigger.

I had Photosync 35% on my Model S and now have Prime XR Plus 35% on my Model X and they look and feel very similar. IMO they both have a blueish look to them which doesn't bother me but if you're after a really black look I would try to see them in person before pulling the trigger.
clarity wise which one do you like better? Having both which one is your favorite and why? Can you tell which one has better heat reduction. And finally which one looks darker?

clarity wise which one do you like better? Having both which one is your favorite and why? Can you tell which one has better heat reduction. And finally which one looks darker?

Not sure if your aware but there is a new version of Photosync. It’s called Photosync IRD. It’s available in 30% which sounds like it may suit you better than the original 35%.

https://www.extremeautowerks.net/prestige-spectra-photosync

This is Photosync IRD 45% on the sides, 75% windshield. 30% on the sides would be a lot darker:

Premier’s video:

Last edited:

Weather's been terrible in Salt Lake so haven't been able to compare. I had Photosync all of last summer with several 100F+ days and it was good. Based on specs I would expect Photosync to outperform XR Plus but since I don't have a local installer that do Photosync, I went with what seem like a great second best.

Reactions: 03DSG