Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y LR Acceleration Boost still offered?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am looking to order or take delivery of an existing inventory Model Y LR AWD, but I need confirmation that Acceleration Boost will be available. I don't see that anywhere on the ordering page. Are they definitely still offering it. If not available, it may affect my decision to buy or not, so I would like to know for sure.

I have an MYP so I can't see the price but to supplement the above comment...

"The Long Range Tesla Model 3 or Model Y is required for this firmware upgrade. These models represent the company’s sedan and SUV offerings.

The 0-60 time of a Tesla Model Y with the Acceleration Boost is reduced by 0.5 seconds. The result is a decrease in speed from 4.8 to 4.3 seconds. As long as the owner’s Tesla has the 2020.36 software update, the upgrade can be purchased directly from the app. And, of course, the Model Y with two motors and an all-wheel drive.

The Performance upgrade costs an extra $10,000 and is not included in this package. This includes a lower ride height, upgraded brakes, and larger wheels for a sportier look. The Model Y’s top speed is increased internally, and it can now reach 60 mph in 3.5 seconds. "

• Helpful
Reactions: jjrandorin
The Performance upgrade costs an extra $10,000 and is not included in this package. This includes a lower ride height, upgraded brakes, and larger wheels for a sportier look. The Model Y’s top speed is increased internally, and it can now reach 60 mph in 3.5 seconds. "
Where did you get that from? The performance version is only $4k more than the LR. ($9k more than the standard single motor).

1698258350106.png

Where did you get that from? The performance version is only $4k more than the LR. ($9k more than the standard single motor).

View attachment 985246
It was an article from back in 2021 (I believe). I should have cut that part out with old pricing. My apologies. Pricing has change significantly over the past couple years. My intention was to convey the performance differences which have not changed.

MY 22 LR AWD shows a Acceleration Boost improved 0-60 mph time, 4.8s to 4.2
Cost is 9,500 referral points or $2,000
There seems to be quite a difference between EU and US. I received 7500 referral credits today (credits from one MY) and instantly bought the acceleration boost upgrade. Here in EU (Finland) it was priced only 7000 credits or 1800,00 €.

Last edited:
I just got my referral creds and purchased the Performance upgrade for 9,500 points. Stay tuned for a review after I get it downloaded and activated. I also have a YLR. I debated getting the Performance for weeks...finally settled on the LR for the longer range and more comfort. In hindsight, I should have test driven a Performance first to see if I could live w/ the ride. I commute 15 miles everyday into DC and the roads downtown really suck, hence my decision to go with the LR. After seeing my friends P next to mine, the difference in ride height is negligible. I love the red brakes look and the spoiler. I'm probably going to end up with a faux P since I'm planning on a bigger spoiler and will probably just paint the calipers red. LOL.

I just got my referral creds and purchased the Performance upgrade for 9,500 points. Stay tuned for a review after I get it downloaded and activated. I also have a YLR. I debated getting the Performance for weeks...finally settled on the LR for the longer range and more comfort. In hindsight, I should have test driven a Performance first to see if I could live w/ the ride. I commute 15 miles everyday into DC and the roads downtown really suck, hence my decision to go with the LR. After seeing my friends P next to mine, the difference in ride height is negligible. I love the red brakes look and the spoiler. I'm probably going to end up with a faux P since I'm planning on a bigger spoiler and will probably just paint the calipers red. LOL.
The Acceleration Boost only gives you around +25...+35 kW more power when flooring the accelerator. The difference is noticable in 0-90 mph speeds. Of course it's a huge power boost, but you don't get anything else than that.

Reactions: DJ DizzR
The Acceleration Boost only gives you around +25...+35 kW more power when flooring the accelerator. The difference is noticable in 0-90 mph speeds. Of course it's a huge power boost, but you don't get anything else than that.
My gf asked me, you need more acceleration? Hahahahahahahaha

More! we always need more! In fact...where's that NOS button???!!
LOL.

Reactions: Skavatar
If you lease the car do you have to pay for the full $2k for the acceleration boost? Or do they break it out over the lease term and you only pay for the months you own the car?

Since its an after sale upgrade, and not available at all before that, it can not be added to the lease term. Its no different than you buying tires or any other option after you take delivery.

The only time you can do what you are asking about is if whatever you are buying is added to the cap cost of the vehicle. In this case its after purchase so you pay full price, like any other thing bought after delivery of the vehicle.

For your own financial sake, don’t buy acceleration boost on a leased car.

A lot of these questions are probably coming from people who are used to leasing german vehicles, like BMWs, Audi's or Merc's. If you order one of those vehicles, you can load it up with options, and if you are leasing it, its all residualized.

So, you can buy an overpriced car option, but since they inflate the residual on those, and its sometimes high 50s or even low 60s, if the residual is 60% you are only paying 40% of the cost for those overpriced options. The whole model for BMW is predicated on somewhat overpriced MSRP, inflated residual value, and then the dealer getting that car back and being able to sell it again (decently optioned).

On those german vehicles, sometimes people convince themselves "im gonna buy it at least end anyway..." and then do stuff like PPF, ceramic coating, etc etc (none of that makes sense but they do it anyway). They also usually dont buy it, even though they told themselves they would, because if they actually look at what the car is worth vs its residual value cost, it almost never makes sense as the Residual is way higher than what the car is actually worth (covid years are an outlier exception).

So, people want to try to replicate that on Teslas, but there are almost no options, and things like acceleration boost are only sold after purchase, so cant be residualized.

A lot of these questions are probably coming from people who are used to leasing german vehicles, like BMWs, Audi's or Merc's. If you order one of those vehicles, you can load it up with options, and if you are leasing it, its all residualized.

So, you can buy an overpriced car option, but since they inflate the residual on those, and its sometimes high 50s or even low 60s, if the residual is 60% you are only paying 40% of the cost for those overpriced options. The whole model for BMW is predicated on somewhat overpriced MSRP, inflated residual value, and then the dealer getting that car back and being able to sell it again (decently optioned).

On those german vehicles, sometimes people convince themselves "im gonna buy it at least end anyway..." and then do stuff like PPF, ceramic coating, etc etc (none of that makes sense but they do it anyway). They also usually dont buy it, even though they told themselves they would, because if they actually look at what the car is worth vs its residual value cost, it almost never makes sense as the Residual is way higher than what the car is actually worth (covid years are an outlier exception).

So, people want to try to replicate that on Teslas, but there are almost no options, and things like acceleration boost are only sold after purchase, so cant be residualized.

FSD is one of the main options that can be residualized if you're leasing a Tesla. Whether that's worth it or not is questionable.